Henk

Idiot!!

Post by Henk »

[d] 8/p7/4k1p1/3Np1P1/2p1Pn1P/2P5/P1K5/8 w - - 3 40

In this position I played Nf4??
Henk

Re: Idiot!!

Post by Henk »

Even worse. Today I resigned in a won position. My opponent gave check with a bishop and I thought it was check mate. So I resigned.

But then it appeared that last move of my opponent was a blunder or a bluf for I could capture the undefended bishop with my rook.

So stupid.

Never trust your opponent. Especially if he is an acquaintance.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

From your description, you sound tired/exhausted. How about a good night sleep before game? That might help.
Henk

Post by Henk »

whereagles wrote:From your description, you sound tired/exhausted. How about a good night sleep before game? That might help.
Only excuse was that I was in a time trouble rush. So in a hurry that I didn't take time for final decision (but I was sure I was check mate.) Probably also too tired at the end of the game and evening.

Opponent had time trouble too but he is a table tennis player.

Physical condition is most important part of preparation.
Henk

Post by Henk »

It was in this position my opponent played Be5 check mate (not). Last moves Rf1-f2 Kc2-c3

I overlooked my rook on h5. Focussing only on the king that could not move.

[d] 8/6k1/8/p1Pp3R/4p1B1/1PK1P1b1/1P3r2/8 b - - 4 39
Henk

Post by Henk »

That's the problem with real life games: Chess board being too large. I remember a chess game where I and my opponent both overlooked QxQ capture from h5-a5. Both queens were undefended.

And how often do you loose a bishop on g5 by a queen giving check on a5.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

pattern recognition works were geometry fails :D
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Henk wrote:Even worse. Today I resigned in a won position. My opponent gave check with a bishop and I thought it was check mate. So I resigned.

But then it appeared that last move of my opponent was a blunder or a bluf for I could capture the undefended bishop with my rook.

So stupid.

you will never make a good poker player

btw., I never play knight endgames with SF, as it always seems to outperform there.

maybe just stick to pure pawn and queen endings, never play against an acquaintance, female, person wearing a yellow shirt, or a checkered one, etc., etc.

in that way, you might do much better.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Henk wrote:That's the problem with real life games: Chess board being too large. I remember a chess game where I and my opponent both overlooked QxQ capture from h5-a5. Both queens were undefended.

And how often do you loose a bishop on g5 by a queen giving check on a5.
it is not only the size of the board, official FIDE colours are completely unbearable.

they have too few brown and too small a contrast.

your eyes get tired on the 2nd move.

I wonder how all top players play with such colours?

obviously, not making very great moves.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Henk wrote:Even worse. Today I resigned in a won position. My opponent gave check with a bishop and I thought it was check mate. So I resigned.

So stupid.

you will never make a good poker player

btw., I never play knight endgames with SF, as it always seems to outperform there.

maybe just stick to pure pawn and queen endings, never play against an acquaintance, female, person wearing a yellow shirt, or a checkered one, etc., etc.

in that way, you might do much better.
In real life you also have to watch out for illegal moves. Someone playing an illegal en passant move. It happened in a normal game with long time control. I didn't notice until I tried to analyse the game at home which wasn't possible because of that illegal move. I remember that during the game that move came as a surprise and it refuted my plan.

Better beware if you play against a friendly person. Especially if he wears discrete clothes like spies do.