Need material for a speech

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Re: Need material for a speech

Post by BeyondCritics »

Kempelen wrote:Hello,

I am going to make a speech at my club about curiosities of computer chess and about making the people to know the pros and cons of analizing with an engine. I need material for the speech. Would anyone here like to share with me :

- Positions where engine does not evaluate correctly the position
- Fortress
- Sac that are incorrect acording to engine, but could be a very practical choice in OTB human games
- or any position that serves to a teaching porpose for the speech.

Thank you very much in advance.
Fermin
I like Pelletier-Nakamura from 2015 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1806311). In an age old theoretical line, Pelletier sacs suddenly a bishop with 13.axb6.
[d]r1bq1rk1/2p1npbp/1p1p2p1/P2Pp3/2P1Pn2/B1N5/P2NBPPP/R2Q1RK1 w - - 3 13

If you look only at stockfish pv's, you will never see that move, since stockfish thinks it throws away its positional advantage. This would be true for correspondence chess, but over the board amongst humans the sac turned out to absolutely deadly on the spot. Nakamura, despite thinking for a considerable time, made the move 14...Ra5, which seemingly already looses or is very close to that. Even with best defence, the sacrifice seems to be sound, though.

This demonstrates, that it is still posssible to capitalize on its creativity, even in the presence of the beast, if you know how.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Need material for a speech

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

BeyondCritics wrote:
Kempelen wrote:Hello,

I am going to make a speech at my club about curiosities of computer chess and about making the people to know the pros and cons of analizing with an engine. I need material for the speech. Would anyone here like to share with me :

- Positions where engine does not evaluate correctly the position
- Fortress
- Sac that are incorrect acording to engine, but could be a very practical choice in OTB human games
- or any position that serves to a teaching porpose for the speech.

Thank you very much in advance.
Fermin
I like Pelletier-Nakamura from 2015 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1806311). In an age old theoretical line, Pelletier sacs suddenly a bishop with 13.axb6.
[d]r1bq1rk1/2p1npbp/1p1p2p1/P2Pp3/2P1Pn2/B1N5/P2NBPPP/R2Q1RK1 w - - 3 13

If you look only at stockfish pv's, you will never see that move, since stockfish thinks it throws away its positional advantage. This would be true for correspondence chess, but over the board amongst humans the sac turned out to absolutely deadly on the spot. Nakamura, despite thinking for a considerable time, made the move 14...Ra5, which seemingly already looses or is very close to that. Even with best defence, the sacrifice seems to be sound, though.

This demonstrates, that it is still posssible to capitalize on its creativity, even in the presence of the beast, if you know how.
very intersting position, but I think the move made by Pelletier only loses white's advantage.

both Ra5, played by Nakamura, and Ra8 seemingly lose by force, but Ra6 instead, which for some reason my SF does not find, gives at least full equality.

[d]2bq1rk1/2p1npbp/rP1p2p1/1N1Pp3/2P1Pn2/8/P2NBPPP/R2Q1RK1 w - - 0 3

if you ask me, after Ra6 black is better or much better, and there are even chances this is a black win.

so, for me, Pelletier made a mistake.

thanks again for the intersting position!

PS. sorry, I posted here, I do not know where else to post, now Harm will say again this is off topic and split the thread...