AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core And 1920X 12-Core CPUs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cdani

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core And 1920X 12-Core C

Post by cdani »

shrapnel wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Asmfish has special NUMA code and it scales pretty well to fairly high counts
In my opinion, Asmfish is over-rated.
shrapnel wrote: I don't know the Math, but I've observed that a heavily-overclocked, well-cooled 4-Core ( or 6 or 8) is more than capable of repeatedly holding even the fastest dual-xeons to draws.
If with a new cooler system you passed from 4.5 Ghz to 4.6 Ghz, you will probably take it happily, even if you will barely notice any improvement in a few hundred games.

Asmfish is like this, having another little long term advantage.

If Stockfish is so good is precisely due to this, as you sure know, the incessant accumulation of little barely noticeable advantages.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

cdani wrote:If with a new cooler system you passed from 4.5 Ghz to 4.6 Ghz, you will probably take it happily, even if you will barely notice any improvement in a few hundred games.

Asmfish is like this, having another little long term advantage.

If Stockfish is so good is precisely due to this, as you sure know, the incessant accumulation of little barely noticeable advantages.
Not true.
Maybe 2 years back, when I had less experience, I MAY have upgraded to a better Cooler to get to 4.6GHz from 4.5 GHz. Certainly not now. Only if say from 4.0 GHz to 5 GHz, yes.
Stockfish is the best Engine because of frequent Patches, no argument about that.
But then the latest version is available to every Tom, Dick and Harry, irrespective of whether the User is running a 4-Core or Dual Xeons.
So again, no point in spending a lot of money and upgrading the Hardware, if the latest Software is freely available.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
cdani

Post by cdani »

shrapnel wrote: Not true.
Maybe 2 years back, when I had less experience, I MAY have upgraded to a better Cooler to get to 4.6GHz from 4.5 GHz. Certainly not now. Only if say from 4.0 GHz to 5 GHz, yes.
Ok. I have said the first random number that come to my mind just to show the point, I was not trying to be precise.
corres

Post by corres »

Between Stockfish 8 running on a PC with 4 cores and running on a PC with only one core the difference is about 100 Elo.
Running on 4 cores and 16 cores the difference is about 80 Elo.
If you use a PC with overclocked 4 cores CPU the difference is more smaller.
So there is no any surprising in the fact that a player using an overclocked 4-core PC can hold draw against a 16-core machine without overclocking.
Top chess engines are in up-to-date state and they will progress together with computer technology.
If you want reach better results against your enemy maybe you should develop your chess knowledge, I think.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

corres wrote:Top chess engines are in up-to-date state and they will progress together with computer technology.
Totally disagree with THAT statement.
The top Chess Engines are nowhere close to utilizing efficiently the full power of modern CPUs.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Hiss!!
corres

Post by corres »

There are lot of programs what are in up-to-date state and they can not utilize the full power of modern PCs. Only the programs what can be make parallel well can utilize the full power of the modern CPUs.
But codes of chess engines are not this case.
I suppose you to read lot of tests about output of modern CPUs and about the codes of chess programs...
Lion

Post by Lion »

Ozymandias wrote:
Lion wrote:It is still very difficult to know if this chip will good for chess.... and how will it compare to the i9 Chip?
Why is it difficult? it's basically two Rizen 7 mashed together, and we know how that one compares to... everything:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-2/p ... tives.html
On this website, the integer score doesn't look good compared to i9 7900
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadrip ... arks-leak/

I thought the integer score is what is important for chess ?
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Lion wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Lion wrote:It is still very difficult to know if this chip will good for chess.... and how will it compare to the i9 Chip?
Why is it difficult? it's basically two Rizen 7 mashed together, and we know how that one compares to... everything:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-2/p ... tives.html
On this website, the integer score doesn't look good compared to i9 7900
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadrip ... arks-leak/

I thought the integer score is what is important for chess ?
You are right. The integer score is important for chess.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Its hard to know when to buy a new high end computer. You don't want to spend $2,000 when in 12 months a better CPU comes out. I am thinking of buying Threadripper, use it for a year and then selling it for maybe half price to recoup some of the money and then buying the next smaller dye CPU when that comes out etc... The nice thing about AMD is that they charge a lot less money.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.