The Secret of Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Free copies

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:as said, Louis Zulli, Carl Langan and Joerg Oster are due free copies.

please drop me a mail at the address specified at the site.

maybe I forget someone else right now, but no time to think more.

giving 3 free copies every single buy would not be that bad after all, would it?

PS. now, would not you also claim your free copies?
please, don't tell me you are just not interested in the book at all...
Congratulations, Lyudmil! I just studied the table of contents, and your book seems filled with the positional ideas that you've long espoused here. Seems like it would be an excellent resource for any serious chess player or programmer. I'm afraid I'm neither of those :wink:, but I'll gladly accept a complimentary copy. Thanks. I'll be in touch. And good luck with this project!
many thanks, Louis.

you are a serious mathematician, and a serious professor. :)
also, a serious SF operator. :)

please, be in touch.
that also concerns the other 2, I can't believe Carl and Joerg are absolutely not interested in this.

there are things I have 'espoused' here, and things that I have not.

new terms/things, that I have never mentioned on the forum, are at least as much as those mentioned, but also the specific assessments seem to be at least twice more correct.

so, there will be new things for you to read there. :)
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Free copies

the terms have also been widely checked on games with SF and Komodo.

it is interesting to look at some games between those ones(mainly quick ones), and SF showing for example 0.0 in its evaluation window, as a positional assessment, a score also backed by Komodo, you know white(SF) has big advantage, some 100cps or so in terms of evaluation, and indeed, most of the time, the game ends with white win.

or, SF and Komodo both agreeing white(Komodo) leads by some 70-80cps in terms of positional assessment, you know evals terms would add up to precisely 0.0, and indeed, most of the time, the game ends in a draw.

I have seen this repetitive behaviour in hundredths of games between the 2 top, for almost all terms included in the book, and that is why I would claim the terms have also been confirmed by SF and Komodo.

I wonder why SF team is not interested in the knowledge present in the book, any guesses?
There is a lot for them to learn within, and consequently, improve SF.

In distinction to my previous compendium, I have included mostly(90%) major terms, such larger than 10cps, so the book is also a nice summary of all that is most important in chess.

last thing, using patterns instead of specific game samples, it is about 5 times easier to learn good chess.

I would not claim one will learn good chess for a week or so, this is simply impossible, significantly shortening the process is certainly possible.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: The Secret of Chess

op12no2 wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Hello everyone.

I wrote a new book, titled 'The Secret of Chess'.

It is available for a modest charge here: http://www.secretofchess.com

I would have offered the book free to everyone on this forum, but, unfortunately, I had to leave my job couple of years ago, to be able to fully concentrate on chess.

So, my only alternative to trying to sell a few copies would be to go taxi-driving. (In Bulgaria, most educated people drive taxis)

More about the book and some excerpts on the above site.

PS. If anyone buys, please advise if things work, I am doing this for the first time.
A hint for the pictures on the website:
All I have seen so far are not proportionally resized, this should be fixed, because it looks bad and unprofessional.
I know, Guenther, I know.

this is the first site I ever build, so I am actually very happy with it. :)
If you remove the img height and width attributes, the images themselves are OK - it's the attributes that are stretching them.

You can play around with stuff like that using the developer options of browsers. For example in chrome right-click an image and choose "inspect" then right-click on the source - the height and width tags for example - and select edit to mess around with them in real-time - the page will chnage as you edit. Apologies if you already know this.

http://op12no2.me/stuff/chess.jpg

PS: I also have public domain Javascript browser UI and engine you may or may not be able to make use of. http://op12no2.me/toys/lozza
thanks Colin, certainly I know of Lozza, been following your posts, only that these days the giants like SF and Komodo take most of my time, you might understand why.

thanks a lot for the advice concerning the site. that is what I am really afraid of - real time changes...

it might be easy for you, as you have practiced, but most of the things related to site development and management are new to me, so I am afraid to make changes I don't know where they will lead even when I am logged into my administrative panel and have all the easy-to-choose-from options.

maybe, when I make a change, something will go wrong and I will have to contact the developer to further help, which makes things rather complicated.

also, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
I like plain colours and unintrusive pictures, that would disturb me less and allow me to concentrate on the thought process instead, but maybe most people are simply not like that.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

How much does it cost ?
I find no price so far - even on the buy now page!
BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Post by BeyondCritics »

Do you think your program is so strong, since you believe in Lyudmil?
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

BeyondCritics wrote:Do you think your program is so strong, since you believe in Lyudmil?
won't you buy a copy, Oliver? :)

his program is strong, because he is a good programmer, with an excellent sense which ideas might work and which not.

a nice life you lead there, at that university at Behagen. :)
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
BeyondCritics wrote:Do you think your program is so strong, since you believe in Lyudmil?
won't you buy a copy, Oliver? :)

his program is strong, because he is a good programmer, with an excellent sense which ideas might work and which not.

a nice life you lead there, at that university at Behagen. :)
+1
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I would have offered the book free to everyone on this forum, but, unfortunately, I had to leave my job couple of years ago, to be able to fully concentrate on chess.

So, my only alternative to trying to sell a few copies would be to go taxi-driving. (In Bulgaria, most educated people drive taxis)

PS. If anyone buys, please advise if things work, I am doing this for the first time.
I bought it and it downloaded fine. You might consider selling it on Amazon. It is pretty easy to setup, and would give your book more exposure.

BTW, I will be in Bulgaria from 6-8 August and again from 14-20 August. Maybe I can buy you a coffee?

Mark
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

mjlef wrote:

I bought it and it downloaded fine. You might consider selling it on Amazon. It is pretty easy to setup, and would give your book more exposure.

BTW, I will be in Bulgaria from 6-8 August and again from 14-20 August. Maybe I can buy you a coffee?

Mark
many thanks, Mark!

I am so happy someone appreciates my efforts. :)

about amazon, yes, this is an option, but it is all new to me and I will have to get accustomed to how things work.

the coffee and snack should be on me. :)

currently, I have retired to a small provincial town, so I won't be in Sofia during the time of your visits.

if, however, you are in need of any assistance, please drop me an email at the address specified at the secretofchess site, and I will be promptly back to you.

many thanks again, and wish you and Komodo to find many interresting small ideas to fiddle with.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Paloma wrote:How much does it cost ?
I find no price so far - even on the buy now page!
20 euro full price.

will change some things on the site in a short while, first want to get some feedback.

PS. more inquisitive visitors would probably try the buy now button, see what paypal wants to charge them, and if happy with the price, proceed, otherwise go back, but probably this is not a good option from user point point of view.

I will have to rethink a lot of concepts on the go.