fide rating instead of national rating question

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

fide rating instead of national rating question

Post by Uri Blass »

Are there chess federations that had national rating in the past and decided that it is enough to have fide rating so they do not need to have national rating?
cdani

Re: fide rating instead of national rating question

Post by cdani »

Andorra :-) I'm the rating officer of the country.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Thanks for your reply.

There is a discussion about doing the same for the israeli rating and I am against it.

Somebody asked me if there are countries who already did it.

The reason for my objections are:
1)There are players who are weaker than the minimal fide rating that is 1000 and I do not want to prevent them to play for rating.

2)I think that the fide rating is not fair at the low levels and it is better to use a israeli rating to get decisions like the players that the israeli chess federation should support by giving them training at young ages.

I believe that K=40 of fide is clearly too high for players below 2300 that already have a lot of games(at least when we talk about players that are at level above 2000) and I also believe that there is a problem with the fide formula for new players that use the average of their opponents(it means that practically a player who play in a strong tournament can get higher fide rating than the fide rating that he deserve because he lost in the first round against a strong player(and without this loss he could get lower fide rating).

The fact that tournaments when the player lost all his games are not included also help to give a higher fide rating then the player deserve for a new player.

A player may get lower fide rating then the rating he deserve in case of scoring more than 50% but these cases are not common.
cdani

Post by cdani »

I'm ok with you with various of the things you told. Fide rating is not bad, but has some little drawbacks that can be smoothed with a national rating.

Andorra's case was easier, as simply there is no enough players nor enough games to have a meaningful rating.

Maybe your federation can talk to the FIDE Qualification Commission
https://ratings.fide.com/fide_directory.phtml?content=6
about the doubts, and maybe some of the suggestions can be implemented by FIDE, or at least they can tell your federation something about the reasons the regulations are like this.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Also for the moment the plans are very advanced but on hold, about that FIDE pretends more or less to absorb all the national ratings. Has received some resistance from not a few federations, but they will insist on it.
In fact they pushed a proposal at Baku last general assembly.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... sions.html

GA-2016/14. To continue testing of the live ratings project and postpone the decision for the next year.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

Portugal has also waived national ratings last year.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Hungary
It was about 2007-2009
See: http://www.chess.hu/download/szabalyzat ... 102027.doc