RomiChess P3M

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: RomiChess P3M

Post by Michael Sherwin »

I have sent the new compiles to Graham. They tested okay on both my Q6600 running Windows 7 and on my i7 running Windows 10. Why MSVC 2005 running on an i7w10 would produce different code than running on a Q6600w7 is a mystery that i'd like the answer. It just shouldn't be. Maybe someone will be able to answer this question. Please give Graham some time to post the new zip file.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Michael Sherwin wrote:I have sent the new compiles to Graham. They tested okay on both my Q6600 running Windows 7 and on my i7 running Windows 10. Why MSVC 2005 running on an i7w10 would produce different code than running on a Q6600w7 is a mystery that i'd like the answer. It just shouldn't be. Maybe someone will be able to answer this question. Please give Graham some time to post the new zip file.
I have no problems with it on my old i7. After a double-click a chessboard appears, and the command prompt.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Michael Sherwin

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:I have sent the new compiles to Graham. They tested okay on both my Q6600 running Windows 7 and on my i7 running Windows 10. Why MSVC 2005 running on an i7w10 would produce different code than running on a Q6600w7 is a mystery that i'd like the answer. It just shouldn't be. Maybe someone will be able to answer this question. Please give Graham some time to post the new zip file.
I have no problems with it on my old i7. After a double-click a chessboard appears, and the command prompt.
The problem is a Microsoft created problem. MSVC 2005 links in a dynamic link library from the operating system. The one linked in from Windows 10 is not backward compatible with Windows 7 or Vista. However the dll in Windows 7 is forward compatible with with Windows 10, lol. I'm starting to understand why Bob hates MS Windows so much!
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Michael Sherwin wrote:The problem was not sse2. It is compiling RomiChess on my i7 and trying to run it on an older machine. I dusted off my old Q6600 and had the same error. Just to make sure that it was not an optimization error targeting a newer machine I deleted the whole project and compiled from a new project. I got the same error on the older machine. This is annoying but the good news is the new source has been transferred to the old machine and I'll just compile the new version on that machine. I'll send the new compiles asap.
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... p?id=40263

For older computers.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Michael Sherwin

Graham Banks wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:The problem was not sse2. It is compiling RomiChess on my i7 and trying to run it on an older machine. I dusted off my old Q6600 and had the same error. Just to make sure that it was not an optimization error targeting a newer machine I deleted the whole project and compiled from a new project. I got the same error on the older machine. This is annoying but the good news is the new source has been transferred to the old machine and I'll just compile the new version on that machine. I'll send the new compiles asap.
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... p?id=40263

For older computers.
Thanks Graham, Hopefully that will be it for that problem. Looking forward to some results. Unless the results are bad then I'd rather not hear about it, lol. Just kidding!
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Thank you Michael for this new release ! :D
Michael Sherwin