ChessUSA.com TalkChess.com
Hosted by Your Move Chess & Games

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Simplified ABDADA" updated
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions Flat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Kerrigan

PostPost subject: "Simplified ABDADA" updated    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 am Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks to feedback from this forum, I've updated my "Simplified ABDADA" algorithm:

http://www.tckerrigan.com/Chess/Parallel_Search/Simplified_ABDADA/

It turns out that hash table collisions were an issue for currently_searching (the hash table that stores hashes of moves that are currently being searched).

I switched it to a 4-way hash table which solved the problem very neatly. The code is still very simple, doesn't require any locks, there's basically no impact on performance (NPS), and at no point in my testing was there a need for more than 4-way associativity.

I also redid all my speedup testing and updated the numbers on this page:

http://www.tckerrigan.com/Chess/Parallel_Search/

The speedups are all basically the same. Actually I think they are probably a tiny bit slower on average, by maybe 1-2%. I guess having multiple threads randomly search the same move sometimes provided a little benefit, but I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing the algorithm is working as intended!
Subject Author Date/Time
"Simplified ABDADA" updated Tom Kerrigan Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 am
      Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Michel Van den Bergh Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 am
            Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Tom Kerrigan Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 am
                  Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Nicu Ionita Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 pm
                        Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Tom Kerrigan Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:30 pm
                              Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Nicu Ionita Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 am
      Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Jean-Christophe WEILL Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm
            Re: "Simplified ABDADA" updated Tom Kerrigan Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 am
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions

Jump to: