Chess.com Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Chess.com Computer Chess Championship

Post by kranium »

Hi all-

I'm happy and excited to announce:

The first annual Chess.com Computer Chess Championship (CCCC) will decide which engine is the best at the format of chess most played online: speed chess.

The 2017 Championship is scheduled for Nov. 13-16, with all four days featuring full live coverage on Chess.com/TV with master commentary and high production values to promote computer chess as a fun viewing experience for the modern gaming audience.

The tournament will include the top 10 engines in the world (CCRL 40/40 - seeded as of mid-August), with an option for engine authors to submit development/optimized versions of their programs.
It will be a double round-robin, with each program having White and Black once in a 15/2 against every other engine.
The top-two scoring engines in the round-robin will face each other in a thrilling super-final, where time controls will transition from rapid to blitz and finally to bullet chess as the match proceeds.

Chess.com will provide four days of live coverage with master commentary, broadcasting all 90 games of the round-robin and all 20 games of the super-final.

The engines will vie for a $2,500 prize pool for the authors, developers, or appropriate charities, split as follows:
1. $1,000
2. $750
3. $500
4. $250

UCI config:
32 threads.
4096 GB hash.
6-man Syzygy TBs (HDD).
All other UCI options will be set to default.

Tournament specifics:
Ponder off.
No opening book.
No draw adjudication.
No endgame adjudication. (The endgames be played out to mate or a forced draw for the benefit of the viewers.)

Rules:
Time control: 15/2 for round-robin play.
Round-robin, all-play-all. Each engine gets White and Black once vs each other engine.
That means nine rounds with 10 games per round and 90 games total.
Three Chess.com/TV shows of round-robin play with 30 games each (Nov 13-15) will be broadcast.
One show per day, with three rounds per day, for three straight days.

Super-final:
An exciting super-final match on day four between the top two engines will take place Nov. 16 and will be broadcast live on Chess.com/TV.
Each round of round-robin play will have both games between each engine start simultaneously (e.g. Komodo plays Stockfish with White and with Black at the same time).
There will be staggered starting times so that each of the five mini-matches per round starts five minutes later than the previous round.
Four concurrent games per round, two White and two Black per engine. Each round has a different time control.
Five super-final rounds: 15/2, 10/2, 5/2, 3/2, and 1/2.
After 20 games over five rounds, a champion is crowned.

Tiebreak:
If tied after round five, there will be played individual sets of four simultaneous games at 1/2 until a champion is crowned.
If after four additional rounds of 1/2 (16 tiebreak games total) the score is still tied, the two engines will alternate single 1/2 games as White and Black until there is a winner (sudden death with no chance to equalize).
The engine to first get White will be determined by a virtual coin flip on Random.org.

For more info:
https://www.chess.com/article/view/ches ... ampionship

I hope you set some time aside and come join us for this exciting event!

Best Regards-
Norm
brtzsnr

Re: Chess.com Computer Chess Championship

Post by brtzsnr »

The tournament will include the top 10 engines in the world (CCRL 40/40 - seeded as of mid-August)
Awesome. Nice to see more competitions for chess engines. They really keep this hobby going.

Any chance that future editions will include lower rated engines?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

What does 15/2 mean? I suppose it is not 15 moves per 2 minutes? Can it mean 15+2?

'No draw adjudication'. That means end-games like KRKR would go on forever, as UCI engines will certainly not be able to claim a 50-move or 3-fold-repetition draw...
kranium

Post by kranium »

brtzsnr wrote:
The tournament will include the top 10 engines in the world (CCRL 40/40 - seeded as of mid-August)
Awesome. Nice to see more competitions for chess engines. They really keep this hobby going.

Any chance that future editions will include lower rated engines?
Absolutely Alexandru!
We're expecting the event to be quite popular (like all the other chess.com TV/Live Broadcast events),
if so, I'm hoping we can also up the prize fund a bit. as well.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:What does 15/2 mean? I suppose it is not 15 moves per 2 minutes? Can it mean 15+2?

'No draw adjudication'. That means end-games like KRKR would go on forever, as UCI engines will certainly not be able to claim a 50-move or 3-fold-repetition draw...
I guess that the meaning is no draw adjudication by evaluation
because many TCEC games are adjudicated as draw when both engines show evaluation that is at most 0.05 for some moves based on my memory.

Adjudication by 50 move rule or by 3 fold repetition is something different.
kranium

Post by kranium »

hgm wrote:What does 15/2 mean? I suppose it is not 15 moves per 2 minutes? Can it mean 15+2?

Hi Harm-
Yes, it's 15 minutes with a 2 sec. increment

You're right: UCI engines do not claim 3-fold and 50 move rule draws, but GUIs do recognize and enforce them. Try Arena for ex.
As Uri correctly suggests, 50-move and 3-fold draw rules will certainly be in effect...
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

The tournament will be run from an Amazon Web Services server farm located in Northern Virginia.

Each engine will utilize its own dedicated AWS virtualized instance of a hyperthreaded Intel Xeon E5-2666 v3 2.90 GHz (two processors each with 18 cores) with 60.0 GB RAM running on Windows Server 2016 Data Center Edition.

UCI config:

32 threads.
4096 GB hash.
6-man Syzygy TBs (HDD).
All other UCI options will be set to default.

The actual tournament will be run as follows:

Ponder off.
No opening book.
No draw adjudication.
No endgame adjudication. (The endgames be played out to mate or a forced draw for the benefit of the viewers.)
kranium

Post by kranium »

Vinvin wrote:
The tournament will be run from an Amazon Web Services server farm located in Northern Virginia.

Each engine will utilize its own dedicated AWS virtualized instance of a hyperthreaded Intel Xeon E5-2666 v3 2.90 GHz (two processors each with 18 cores) with 60.0 GB RAM running on Windows Server 2016 Data Center Edition.
Thanks Vincent...

Sorry, I missed including these hardware specs in my original post, and it's one of the more interesting parts of the project.

After setting-up and configuring one compute optimized instance...to ensure that each server is 100% identical I simply generated 9 more from that one single Amazon machine image. We're using some simple powershell scripts to publish the pgn's via http and Amazon elastic block storage, where chess.com's 'Live' chess servers can pick it up and broadcast it on chess.com/TV.

I know the time controls are somewhat fast compared to TCEC, etc. but with each engine utilizing AWS and such processing power, I'm confident we'll see some very high quality games anyway.

Come November, I hope we can drag some of you away from TCEC to watch this event!

Norm
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

No opening books but custom versions are allowed. I see a potential problem with this, since a crude opening book could be added to the source. Would that be allowed or considered cheating?
Deasil is the right way to go.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Dirt wrote:No opening books but custom versions are allowed. I see a potential problem with this, since a crude opening book could be added to the source. Would that be allowed or considered cheating?
Hi Greg,
Not allowed of course...there's a strict deadline for submitting binaries: one week prior to the start of the event.
We'll ensure stability and take a close look for internal opening books during that time, and we won't be accepting updates after that.