Houdini 6 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Houdini 6 has been released

Post by Damir »

Hi Robert

Couple of games my engine was running like a single, I hardly understand it myself. I just rebooted my machine and it seems runs normal again.
Maybe it is server lag now that the news of new Houdini 6 has come out, and the server has gone crazy, which will explain my Houdini behaviour. :? :? :)
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi,

Just a thought is your PC trying to do Windows update in background this I have had in the past and slows the engine down
Check in task manager.
"May your next game be your best"
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

This sounds interesting: When running multiple threads the tactical mode can now be activated for only some of the threads. ELO gain possible?
Jouni
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Jouni wrote:This sounds interesting: When running multiple threads the tactical mode can now be activated for only some of the threads. ELO gain possible?
No gain, but it helps to limit the Elo loss from the full Tactical Mode.
If you run with "Tactical Mode=2" (meaning that half the threads will run in Tactical Mode), the Elo loss is about 20 Elo.
If you run with "Tactical Mode=4" (meaning that 1 thread in 4 will run in Tactical Mode), the Elo loss is about 10 Elo.

The feature is a bit experimental and may not be very useful, I'm not sure yet.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Great news on Houdini 6's release.

I'm really not trying to be awkward, but is it true H6 is "the strongest engine" and "the strongest engine money can buy" ?

Are you claiming it's stronger than the latest ASMfish? (That would be amazing if true)
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Werewolf wrote:Great news on Houdini 6's release.

I'm really not trying to be awkward, but is it true H6 is "the strongest engine" and "the strongest engine money can buy" ?

Are you claiming it's stronger than the latest ASMfish? (That would be amazing if true)
It's written on the Internet, so it must be true :D.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Yet I ll wait for an official match or test between H6 and Stockfish dev to be sure.
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

Werewolf wrote:Great news on Houdini 6's release.

My reading here is that no claim is made that H6 is stronger than free engines, only commercial engines that "money can buy." Of course, I could be wrong.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Houdini wrote:Houdini 6 has been released today.
More information on our web page http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .
Also in the updated User's Manual: http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/index.html .

Make sure to refresh the browser cache using F5 or Ctrl-F5 to get the most recent page.

Thank you for reading,
Robert
Thanks Robert. Looking forward to testing it. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Graham,

since version 6 I like Houdini a lot because a great tatical style and a complete other stats as Komodo and Stockfish. Also I can see it in similarties stats for FEOBOS project.

Programamer do a good job and my opinion changed for a while. I am very hard in messages to the first versions of Houdini.

Today I can give the programmer my compliment for the work he do. Houdini is really a very nice program. So I payed the full price and not the update price as little thanks.

Best, good luck and success for the programmer of Houdini from my view.

Best
Frank