Houdini 6 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JJJ

Re: Houdini 6 has been released

Post by JJJ »

And yet Stefan, you are very patient to not test it right away isn't ? :)
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

JJJ wrote:And yet Stefan, you are very patient to not test it right away isn't ? :)
As I wrote on my website, next week, I am away for a two weeks holiday. So, the tests of Houdini 6 and Andscacs have to wait a little bit.
But Houdini 6 is already playing in my long thinking-time tournament. First (early) result will go online next monday, when I update my website (with the result of asmBrainFish).

Stefan
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

My guess is that whatever version of H6 will take part in TCEC will be a little bit stronger. If this version is already that strong, wait and see for TCEC :lol:
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

shrapnel wrote:Really no point buying a Chess Engine nowadays, whether Komodo or Houdini as the top 3 Engines are roughly of the same strength. Stockfish has taken the fun out of competitive engine chess.
As Lyudmil Tsvetkov said in a Post in the Tournament section, there is no point buying a Chess Engine unless it is at least 50 ELO ahead of the nearest competitor.
Fully agree.
Why do people still buy them? Maybe all people do not think like you do.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

If everyone in the world thinks same... :roll:
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

Robert,

Thanks for upgrading H6 STD to 8 threads (instead of the usual 6)..well worth the money I paid for.

Btw, impressive results so far :)
kranium

Post by kranium »

Looks like a great release, very exciting!

I don't want to be negative, and rain on the parade, but isn't it premature to proclaim Houdini 6 as "the strongest engine in the world".

Checking the numbers, it doesn't appear to be better than Stockfish dev at this point.

According to nextchessmove.com (https://nextchessmove.com/dev-builds) tests, the newest Stockfish dev versions average about 130 Elo stronger than Stockfish 7.

CCRL 40/20 has Stockfish 8 +64 Elo to Stockfish 7

Stockfish 8 64-bit 4CPU at 3484
Houdini 5.01 64-bit 4CPU 3470
Stockfish 7 64-bit 4CPU 3420

This means Stockfish dev would be ~ 66 Elo stronger than Stockfish 8...

If Houdini 6 is in fact +60 Elo compared to Houdini 5.01, and it appears that may very well be the case...then

Stockfish dev would be at 3550
Houdini would be at 3530

Just food for thought...looking forward very much to seeing this excellent engine perform in TCEC and CCCC!

Norm
Last edited by kranium on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

kranium wrote:Looks like a great release, very exciting!

I don't want to be negative, and rain on the parade, but isn't it premature to early to proclaim Houdini 6 as "the strongest engine in the world".

Checking the numbers, it doesn't appear to be better than Stockfish dev at this point.

According to nextchessmove.com (https://nextchessmove.com/dev-builds) tests, the newest Stockfish dev versions average about 130 Elo stronger than Stockfish 7.

CCRL 40/20 has Stockfish 8 +64 Elo to Stockfish 7

Stockfish 8 64-bit 4CPU at 3484
Houdini 5.01 64-bit 4CPU 3470
Stockfish 7 64-bit 4CPU 3420

This means Stockfish dev is ~ 66 Elo stronger to Stockfish 8...

If Houdini 6 is in fact +60 compared to Houdini 5.01, and it appears that it very well may be the case...then

Stockfish dev would be at 3550
Houdini would be at 3530

Just food for thought...looking forward very much to seeing this excellent engine perform in TCEC and CCCC.
Stockfish dev is not at all 66 elo stronger than Stockfish 8 but rather 29 at bullet and 23 at blitz.
kranium

Post by kranium »

http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
the strongest engine that money can buy
I believe Robert chose his words very carefully...
Gusev

Post by Gusev »

Hi Stefan,
Is the polyglot version of Cerebellum by Thomas Zipproth available to the public? If so, where can I find it?
pohl4711 wrote:
JJJ wrote:And yet Stefan, you are very patient to not test it right away isn't ? :)
As I wrote on my website, next week, I am away for a two weeks holiday. So, the tests of Houdini 6 and Andscacs have to wait a little bit.
But Houdini 6 is already playing in my long thinking-time tournament. First (early) result will go online next monday, when I update my website (with the result of asmBrainFish).

Stefan