Houdini 6 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Houdini 6 has been released

Post by Damir »

I have been experiencing exception errors and slowdown of my machine when using Houdini 6 to a single core level., and I am not the only one.. :(
Some other users with very big machines on Playchess server have been experiencing the same thing as I have.

I hope Robert fix whatever is broken in Houdini 6, so it runs whitout any problems. :)
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

kranium wrote:http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
the strongest engine that money can buy
I believe Robert chose his words very carefully...
Hello Norman, when you will relase Fire 6?
kranium

Post by kranium »

Hi mehmet...within a week or two
but let's leave this topic for things to do with Houdini 6 release.
In the meantime, I'm happy to answer questions here: firefather at telenet dot be
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Damir wrote:I have been experiencing exception errors and slowdown of my machine when using Houdini 6 to a single core level., and I am not the only one.. :(
Some other users with very big machines on Playchess server have been experiencing the same thing as I have.

I hope Robert fix whatever is broken in Houdini 6, so it runs whitout any problems. :)
People that experience problems should activate the "UCI Log File" option and send me the UCI log file when a problem occurs.

There is very little I can do with just reports saying that there was an error or a slowdown. Please help me solving any issues by sending me as much information as possible. Thank you.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Houdini wrote:Luckily many people are more generous and astute than you.

While commercial engines benefit from SF being open-source, also SF development is largely driven by the competition with Houdini and Komodo. Without competition the SF development would die as well (there's little drive when you're 200 Elo ahead of the rest...).

If you really care for computer chess (and I assume you do, since you spend time on this forum), you should consider supporting commercial chess engines.
Don't get so angry, Mr Houdart.
I was just making general observations...nothing personally against you.
I meant no harm.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

kranium wrote:This means Stockfish dev would be ~ 66 Elo stronger than Stockfish 8...
Surely you follow the SF development and probably know that the current SF dev is at best 30 Elo better than SF 8 (see the regression tests at the SF development site).
The words were chosen carefully not to be repetitive.
The web page also says two lines above the quote you made "Houdini 6: The strongest engine in the world", which I believe Houdini 6 is (and IPON agrees with me).
Frank Brenner

Post by Frank Brenner »

The result of asmBrainFish could be more interesting with a very recent asmfish version from 170909 or newer ......, still not available.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Houdini wrote:
kranium wrote:This means Stockfish dev would be ~ 66 Elo stronger than Stockfish 8...
Surely you follow the SF development and probably know that the current SF dev is at best 30 Elo better than SF 8 (see the regression tests at the SF development site).
The words were chosen carefully not to be repetitive.
The web page also says two lines above the quote you made "Houdini 6: The strongest engine in the world", which I believe Houdini 6 is (and IPON agrees with me).
Fair enough...thanks for the correction.
My conclusion about H6 being ~ -20 Elo to SF dev is based solely on the numbers/results I can see...from ccrl, nextchessmove.com, etc.

I'm happy to hear you saying that (you believe) H6 is stronger...that's exciting news.
Thanks for the response.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Gusev wrote:Hi Stefan,
Is the polyglot version of Cerebellum by Thomas Zipproth available to the public? If so, where can I find it?
No, it is at experimental state at the moment. But the difference to the polyglot-version of Cerebellum which asmFish generates automatically is definitly small, measured on the Elo impact in gameplay - especially, when you dont use Cerebellum from the chess starting-position, but from the end of an opening-line/ from an opening-position, like I do with the HERT-openings, I use for testing.

Regards - Stefan (SPCC)
Lion

Post by Lion »

Well, still a little unclear to me if this is N°1....

ASMFishW is about 30% faster than Stockfish so I am not sure how 30% faster translates into ELO.

Would that cover the about 30 ELO advantage Houdini 6 may have over latest Stockfish developments?

rgds