Houdini 6 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Houdini 6 has been released

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

oops, SF still leading by 400.5/800, a full clearly distinguished half a point, so my first thoughts SF will still outperform H might be true, though all this might be very well just statistical noise.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
IWB wrote:www.inwoba.de is updated now!

Ingo
time for a scientific second run now, including Houdini contempt 0 and latest SF dev.
Yeah, I d like to see that too :)
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Anyway dear Lyudmil, we gonna have to wait for fast.gm to relase their result. I predict Stockfish dev being better than houdini at bullet, after that, I don't know what will be the result at 10 min or 60 min.

Ah ! And I forgot Stockfish dev was not tested at 10 min and 60 min !
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:oops, SF still leading by 400.5/800, a full clearly distinguished half a point, so my first thoughts SF will still outperform H might be true, though all this might be very well just statistical noise.
I maybe didn't express myself properly. I try to see the scaling with time control, although the number of games will be insufficient for higher time controls. The first test was at 15''+ 0.15'', and Houdini lost, although by not that significant margin. The second test was at 60''+ 0.6'', and Houdini won, also with not that significant margin. The combined result is that on this time control span, the scaling is better for Houdini fairly significantly. 240''+ 2.4'' is probably the maximum I can get as time control with my CPU resources and time. We have to wait for FGRL results of Andreas.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

h1a8 wrote:
Houdini wrote:Houdini 6 has been released today.
More information on our web page http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .
Also in the updated User's Manual: http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/index.html .

Make sure to refresh the browser cache using F5 or Ctrl-F5 to get the most recent page.

Thank you for reading,
Robert
Any plans on releasing Houdini 6 for ios? We desperately need a top engine for analysis for such power Apple has on its devices.
Hopefully it will be part of an app that supports multiple arrow analysis and drag and drop moving.
david

Post by david »

hi there

thanks very much for this release.

I have a ryzen 1800 cpu and "x64-popc" is apparently the version of H6 that is installed.

however, at an early stage, H6 isn't doing so well against Stockfish 8 at 15 minute games. (H6 8 vs. S8 9); which is surprising.

There was an earlier thread which suggested that you had to choose the right executable for ryzen for stockfish (http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... n+popcount). Is there some way of checking which is the right H6 version for Ryzen ?

cheers
david[/url]
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

david wrote:I have a ryzen 1800 cpu and "x64-popc" is apparently the version of H6 that is installed.
Correct.
AMD Ryzen officially supports BMI2 instructions, but their implementation is very slow (the instructions are emulated, if I understand correctly). On Ryzen the BMI2 or "pext" compiles are about 20% slower than the POPCOUNT or "popc" compiles. The Houdini Setup is aware of this and will install the "popc" compile on AMD Ryzen.
david wrote:however, at an early stage, H6 isn't doing so well against Stockfish 8 at 15 minute games. (H6 8 vs. S8 9); which is surprising.
The variability of engine matches is huge, that's why rating lists are comprised of thousands of games. Even after 100 games the error margins are close to ±40 Elo.
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Will there be minor patches leading up to TCEC Robert ? :lol: You surely haven`t shown all you cards yet, have you ?
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

CheckersGuy wrote:Will there be minor patches leading up to TCEC Robert ? :lol: You surely haven`t shown all you cards yet, have you ?
There are minor patches between TCEC rounds, not leading up to it. And why would he tell you if he had shown all his cards?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Leo wrote:
CheckersGuy wrote:Will there be minor patches leading up to TCEC Robert ? :lol: You surely haven`t shown all you cards yet, have you ?
There are minor patches between TCEC rounds, not leading up to it. And why would he tell you if he had shown all his cards?
First of all I didnt expect Houdart to tell me or anyone else I just hoped that he would :P
Secondly, where did Robert confirm that he will update Houdini between TCEC rounds ? Robert can surely patch H6 before TCEC starts or in between rounds if he wants to....