Posting chess matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Posting chess matches

Post by cc2150dx »

I have some engine matches in Fritz 15 gui that I'd like to show. Example: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 41&t=65230

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks for the help :)
MikeB

Re: Posting chess matches

Post by MikeB »

cc2150dx wrote:I have some engine matches in Fritz 15 gui that I'd like to show. Example: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 41&t=65230

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks for the help :)
Most definitely - all matches go in the "tournament and matches" forum - use this link :

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/posting. ... wtopic&f=6

Described your match - engines , # of cores , hash size,time control used , number of games and a brief summary of results - paste the pgn text and use the tag

Code: Select all

[pgn] before the first game and [/pgn] after the last game 
It will only display one chess board , but the ellipsis on the upper left (3 dots ) will allow the reader to select any game via a menu dropdown. The current max is about 30 games - more than that , simply put the games on Dropbox and readers can download if they choose.
cc2150dx

Post by cc2150dx »

Thanks Michael,

The only issue that I have is how do I save them from my database to a (pgn text)..sorry, new at this
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Chessbase doesn't make exporting/saving to PGN easy, they'd rather have you use their proprietary CBH format. Nevertheless, there is a way (although it's hidden very well indeed).

In the database window select the games you want to export (or Ctrl+A for all), right-click on them, pick "Output", then "Selection to Text File..." and from there on it's self-explanatory.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

tpoppins wrote:Chessbase doesn't make exporting/saving to PGN easy, they'd rather have you use their proprietary CBH format. Nevertheless, there is a way (although it's hidden very well indeed).

In the database window select the games you want to export (or Ctrl+A for all), right-click on them, pick "Output", then "Selection to Text File..." and from there on it's self-explanatory.
I believe the other method is to create a new database selecting "pgn" format and just drag the games you want in pgn format to the pgn database.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Dragging may work under the Chessbase GUI but is not an option under Fritz GUIs.

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous post that is not self-explanatory: check the "Use old format" checkbox on the PGN tab of the config dialog box that pops up after you perform the "Selection To Text File... -> PGN" step. This way you'll get the standard PGN tags (eval, depth, time) in your PGN rather than the cryptic "%emt %eval" crap that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere and which the forum software here won't parse.

Another oddity is that you can save to the same file in the same directory/folder multiple times; and even though you get prompted "Do you want to replace xxx.pgn?" each time, the file is not actually replaced. The latest selections are appended to the existing file. Which can be cool depending on what you want to achieve, so this is probably not a bug but a feature.
cc2150dx

Post by cc2150dx »

Thanks for the help guys! :)