Fire 6 is available!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Re: Fire 6 is available!

Post by matejst »

The 32-bit version doesn't work under wine yet. I tested a bit the 64-bit under Windows, and it looks ok, although I still don't like some aspects of its eval.

BTW, Norm, Dmitri, will there be another version of Firenzina? I thought that it was an excellent project.
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

Fire 6.1 under Linux/Wine/Arena still don't work. It takes a long time to make the first book move and then at the end of it, it starts to think until it dies losing with time forfeit. In 100 games, the score is 100-0 in favor of any opponent.
Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

Thanks Norman.
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Thanks Anton for reporting that !
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Thank you Norman for this new release !
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

I see that so far Fire 6 has excellent results in the CCRL. After almost 200 games, it's about +40 ELO over Fire 5, which puts it on the fourth place of the rating list. Its results against strong engines (with the exception of the SF family) seem very good.

Congrats, Norman! Although there's no much talk about Fire, it keeps getting better and better. The evaluation seem better, especially after a little search: it finds good, "non machine" moves at 14, 15 plies. I hadn't time to test it enough, but I tried some strategic opening positions and it looked fine with me.

Will you continue the development of Fire? Although it's clearly only your choice, I would be very happy if you'd focus on features, the way you did before: levels, perhaps, personnalities. You can be certain that a lot of us enjoy your work and think you deserve more recognition than you get.
FahadRahman

Post by FahadRahman »

Please Make a BMI version please
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I must start testing this at chess960 soon.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Thank you. I have a question . Please write how to properly set the tablebases syzygy. I add that I am using syzygy 6 man. I have two options: SyzygyProbeDepth and SyzygyProbeLimit.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Thank you. I have a question . Please write how to properly set the tablebases syzygy. I add that I am using syzygy 6 man. I have two options: SyzygyProbeDepth and SyzygyProbeLimit.
Hi Krzysztof-

No need to change these, leave at default values.