Rybka Pricing

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Rybka Pricing

Post by rcmaddox »

I went looking to buy Deep Rybka 4 since I never got around to buying that engine. It turns out that you can still buy Rybka 4 but the cost seems high.

rybkachess.com:

Deep Rybka 4 UCI Download (No interface) $83.86

ChessOK:

Deep Rybka (4.1) with Aquarium 2011 $107.00

Chessbase:

Deep Rybka 4 with Fritz 12 Interface $90.75

Both Komodo 11.2 and Houdini 6 cost less. I can even buy Fritz 15 for less! Vendors are, of course, free to ask whatever they want for their wares, but these (relatively) high prices make no sense to me.
tpoppins

Re: Rybka Pricing

Post by tpoppins »

You're definitely better off buying Fritz 15, it got everything R4 has, including the unwillingness to underpromote to Bishop and the 4GB hash limit. Rybka is of purely historical value now, and 90 bucks for it is way out of line.

If you get F15 take note that any updates to the original version break TB access. The fix is explained in this post.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

In the unlikely event that you are interested in chess960, Rybka 4.1 plays it but Fritz 15 does not.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

rcmaddox wrote:I went looking to buy Deep Rybka 4 since I never got around to buying that engine. It turns out that you can still buy Rybka 4 but the cost seems high.

rybkachess.com:

Deep Rybka 4 UCI Download (No interface) $83.86

ChessOK:

Deep Rybka (4.1) with Aquarium 2011 $107.00

Chessbase:

Deep Rybka 4 with Fritz 12 Interface $90.75

Both Komodo 11.2 and Houdini 6 cost less. I can even buy Fritz 15 for less! Vendors are, of course, free to ask whatever they want for their wares, but these (relatively) high prices make no sense to me.
Something else makes no sense to me but I wont say what it is.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.