New computer suggestions please

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: New computer suggestions please

Post by Ferdy »

AlvaroBegue wrote:
AndrewGrant wrote:Just got my 1950x in the mail the other day. Waiting for the cooler to arrive before trying it out.

Plan is to abuse 31 threads (1 left to OS) to run tests...
My impression is that hyper-threading doesn't work too well for chess, so I only use as many threads as I have cores (8 for Ryzen 7 1800X). But if you have evidence that what I am doing is suboptimal, I would like to hear about it.
Why not try it on your box? Lets see if it can get consistent result. Take 1 version of your engine (or other engine), copy it and rename to engine1, the other engine2, play 1000 games (engine takes each side of every start position) at 40moves/15s, use all threads that is 16, we expect close to 50% or 50%, OS and version may also be a factor considering that this is a new processor.

My old i7-2600k on windows 7 professional works fine with this kind of test. It is interesting to see how the current ryzen 7 + OS would perform.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I used not to recommend eBay because there are few bargains to be had, but the ex-lease systems are a good deal.

I think you could possibly do even better, price/performance wise, by buying used Xeon CPUs, which are reasonably cheap. You can even find somewhat newer ones like the v2 and v3 series (but be careful: some are engineering samples, i.e. pre-release). But you'd need to find mobo, memory, etc. that is compatible, and these are older systems, so that might be a bit challenging.

--Jon
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

jdart wrote:I used not to recommend eBay because there are few bargains to be had, but the ex-lease systems are a good deal.

I think you could possibly do even better, price/performance wise, by buying used Xeon CPUs, which are reasonably cheap. You can even find somewhat newer ones like the v2 and v3 series (but be careful: some are engineering samples, i.e. pre-release). But you'd need to find mobo, memory, etc. that is compatible, and these are older systems, so that might be a bit challenging.

--Jon
You are a smart man. That is exactly what one should do. I've built two systems that way. Ebay is absolutely incredible. Just do your research - and understand what you are buying.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Leo wrote:Costco has a Ryzen 7 computer on sale for $600. (This is not a commercial, it just happens to be the lowest price I have seen.)
That does look like a good price but more details are needed. What precise processor (although it's still impressive with the lowest spec Rizen 7 chip, the 1700), how much memory, what storage, etc. You probably don't know, but your post tells us very little without that.
Deasil is the right way to go.