PVS & Embla

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok

Re: PVS & Embla

Post by flok »

Ah that I didn't know. Can you advise one by any chance? I'm currently use the dc-3200.bin polyglot book (from http://rebel13.nl/download/books.html).
flok

Post by flok »

I'm going to fix that right away. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Takes a bit due to heavy merging.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Sven wrote:Furthermore I recommend to avoid using "goto" (you do it in your PVS code) :-)
Not one of your usual best advices Sven :wink:

In many cases a programmer outsmarts the compiler and the hardware branch prediction. If you know in advance that in (say) 90% of the cases the branch will be taken or not then why would you leave the decision to the compiler?

I know, can of worms, I know :wink:
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Rebel wrote:
Sven wrote:Furthermore I recommend to avoid using "goto" (you do it in your PVS code) :-)
Not one of your usual best advices Sven :wink:

In many cases a programmer outsmarts the compiler and the hardware branch prediction. If you know in advance that in (say) 90% of the cases the branch will be taken or not then why would you leave the decision to the compiler

I know, can of worms, I know :wink:
We are talking about the goto in

Code: Select all

if (bSearchPV)
retry:
  score = -search(..., -beta, -alpha, ...);
else {
  score = -search(..., -alpha - 1, -alpha, ...);
  if &#40;score > alpha && score < beta&#41;
    goto retry;
&#125;
vs. the obvious:

if &#40;bSearchPV&#41; &#123;
  score = -search&#40;..., -beta, -alpha, ...);
&#125; else &#123;
  score = -search&#40;..., -alpha - 1, -alpha, ...);
  if &#40;score > alpha && score < beta&#41; &#123;
    score = -search&#40;..., -beta, -alpha, ...);
  &#125;
&#125;
where you can discuss with me for years but will never convince me that the goto way is any better, it simply confuses my eyes and is the result of pure lazyness only, nothing serious behind it. Also in the context of a ~2000-2200 engine you certainly do not want to discuss about branch prediction.

end_of_discussion_about_goto&#58;
  goto end_of_discussion_about_goto;
flok

Post by flok »

Sven wrote:
Either there are more changes in that branch than what you planned to do, or your Git repo is not up to date again. So currently I can't see what you actually changed.

Also I can't build it even with most recent Cygwin.
Ok, they're now all up to date and I verified that they build with cygwin on windows 10.
Sven

Post by Sven »

flok wrote:
Sven wrote:
Either there are more changes in that branch than what you planned to do, or your Git repo is not up to date again. So currently I can't see what you actually changed.

Also I can't build it even with most recent Cygwin.
Ok, they're now all up to date and I verified that they build with cygwin on windows 10.
Thanks, build works out of the box now :-)

I now see that your PVS branch has also removed LMR, and that your most recent branch "onecolor" is under heavy development today. So good luck :-)
flok

Post by flok »

Correct: I had to figure out how to integrate LMR back in later on. First get PVS stable, then LMR back in.
In my testing (30k games) I also have a branch with both in them. Haven't pushed it to git though.
Sven

Post by Sven »

flok wrote:E.g. in qs there is that BLIND code. It checks if a piece is protected or not. I determine that during movegen.

Depth 14 takes 3.8s without blind and with only 1 color generated and 3.3s with blind and both colors generated. If I replace it by something that checks on the spot, then ttd goes up to 10s.

[...]

I did that in an hour and then it suddenly did depth 31 in a few seconds :-) So clearly this has side effects and haven't figured out what.
I managed to compile all three branches: master, PVS, onecolor. But I could not get any of them to run under cutechess-cli. Maybe some problem at my side.

But apart from that: it is obvious that your generateMoveLists() has (had) side effects on which you rely so that removing them breaks your code. A possible approach would be to identify all those side effects (hopefully few - calculation of square protection perhaps), isolate them in code that can be called separately (obviously for both colors), and then manage to call move generation only for the current side but still getting your "side effects" from the isolated code. Now that sounds easy but in fact it may be difficult ... Nevertheless I think it will pay off, since you need it anyway for creating a captures-only move generator which would require that refactoring.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Sven wrote:
flok wrote:E.g. in qs there is that BLIND code. It checks if a piece is protected or not. I determine that during movegen.

Depth 14 takes 3.8s without blind and with only 1 color generated and 3.3s with blind and both colors generated. If I replace it by something that checks on the spot, then ttd goes up to 10s.

[...]

I did that in an hour and then it suddenly did depth 31 in a few seconds :-) So clearly this has side effects and haven't figured out what.
I managed to compile all three branches: master, PVS, onecolor. But I could not get any of them to run under cutechess-cli. Maybe some problem at my side.

But apart from that: it is obvious that your generateMoveLists() has (had) side effects on which you rely so that removing them breaks your code. A possible approach would be to identify all those side effects (hopefully few - calculation of square protection perhaps), isolate them in code that can be called separately (obviously for both colors), and then manage to call move generation only for the current side but still getting your "side effects" from the isolated code. Now that sounds easy but in fact it may be difficult ... Nevertheless I think it will pay off, since you need it anyway for creating a captures-only move generator which would require that refactoring.
Problem of not running under cutechess-cli was solved easily (cygwin DLLs had to be copied to the right folder ...). Now I run some tests. As expected, the "onecolor" version makes illegal moves so I took it out.

Jumbo seems too strong for Embla, I even tried an old 0.4.14 version which is roughly 200 Elo points weaker than my current best version. So I'll match Embla versions against each other only.
flok

Post by flok »

Sven wrote:Problem of not running under cutechess-cli was solved easily (cygwin DLLs had to be copied to the right folder ...). Now I run some tests. As expected, the "onecolor" version makes illegal moves so I took it out.

Jumbo seems too strong for Embla, I even tried an old 0.4.14 version which is roughly 200 Elo points weaker than my current best version. So I'll match Embla versions against each other only.
I usually let it battle against dorpsgek which is around 220 elo stronger.

What do you do for tournament? Gauntlet?