Andscacs - New version 0.921 with source

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Andscacs - New version 0.921 with source

Post by syzygy »

Ras wrote:
syzygy wrote:In particular if two engines are playing each other on the same machine, it is not correct for one engine to continuously wake up while the other engine is searching.
In my implementation, there is one thread blocking on stdin, and another thread (which would search if it were the engine's turn) polling on an internal queue, waking up every 10 ms. The Windows task manager shows "00" (in percent) for CPU usage, which is why I didn't bother to use OS specific proper blocking.
Proper blocking is easy to achieve. For each search thread i, use CreateEevent() to create a thread->startEvent and a thread->stopEvent HANDLE.

Now each search thread i does this:

Code: Select all

while (1) {
    WaitForSingleObject(thread[i]->startEvent, INFINITE);
    // search
    SetEvent(thread[i]->stopEvent);
  }
and the main thread does this:

Code: Select all

// it's our turn, so start the search threads
  for &#40;i = 0; i < num_threads; i++)
    SetEvent&#40;thread&#91;i&#93;->startEvent&#41;;
  // let the main thread search or just wait for input or time running out
  // now wait until the search threads have stopped searching
  for &#40;i = 0; i < num_threads; i++)
    WaitForSingleObject&#40;thread&#91;i&#93;->stopEvent, INFINITE&#41;;
  // output best move
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Carlos777 wrote:It seems the new update is weaker than the 0.92 version, at least under TCEC conditions. Only 0.5 out of 5 games, keeping in mind that in the previous stage Andy remained unbeaten.
Not so bad in the end, was it?
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Ozymandias wrote:
Carlos777 wrote:It seems the new update is weaker than the 0.92 version, at least under TCEC conditions. Only 0.5 out of 5 games, keeping in mind that in the previous stage Andy remained unbeaten.
Maybe I was too quick to affirm that. Andscacs 0.92 finished 4th in the previous stage and 0.921 tied with Booot in the last position in stage 2. I guess this result is normal because few games were played and these engines are close in strenght.
My apologies to Daniel if he took it the wrong way, I was just concerned and dissapointed about Andscacs' bad start. Good luck in next season.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Carlos777 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Maybe I was too quick to affirm that. Andscacs 0.92 finished 4th in the previous stage and 0.921 tied with Booot in the last position in stage 2. I guess this result is normal because few games were played and these engines are close in strenght.
My apologies to Daniel if he took it the wrong way, I was just concerned and dissapointed about Andscacs' bad start. Good luck in next season.
No problem!! :-) As always, few games are not much significant. Also if Andscacs had not lost the game for the illegal move, it had finished a bit higher, so more similar to what happened in stage 1.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Looks to me Andscacs is playing too many draws. Intention should be to destroy your opponent completely otherwise better not play chess. Better lose than going for a draw.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Henk wrote:Looks to me Andscacs is playing too many draws. Intention should be to destroy your opponent completely otherwise better not play chess. Better lose than going for a draw.
That's a matter of opinion.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Henk

Post by Henk »

Graham Banks wrote:
Henk wrote:Looks to me Andscacs is playing too many draws. Intention should be to destroy your opponent completely otherwise better not play chess. Better lose than going for a draw.
That's a matter of opinion.
I am still able to think about something more friendly than capturing a king. Or what do you mean. Is it about Andscacs playing not too many draws or the intention of playing chess.
ernest

Post by ernest »

syzygy wrote:
cdani wrote:As the bug happened in only one move situation,
If this is indeed what happened, then the solution is to reset the various thread-specific data structures in the main thread before starting the actual search.
Bravo, Ron !
Seems the craziest bugs can be corrected through logical thinking... :)
Gusev

Post by Gusev »

Thank you!! The source code release makes Andscacs eligible for participation in the next season of FOSCEC. Moreover, CCRL should change the engine name color from green to orange! :D
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »