Is there now coming changes to syzygy databases?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Is there now coming changes to syzygy databases?

Post by Jouni »

And which kind? Smaller size, DTM and/or 7 piece?
Jouni
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Is there now coming changes to syzygy databases?

Post by phhnguyen »

Jouni wrote:And which kind? Smaller size, DTM and/or 7 piece?
Just curious: why you think syzygy will or should suppose DTM?

I have been using DTM in my EGTs since they has been developed for a while but I am not clear about reasons to change back from syzygy's DTZ50 to DTM.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I have seen a lot of discussion in TCEC chat (I am not joined myself).
Jouni
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

I have adapted my generator for DTM, but DTM tables cannot replace WDL/DTZ. But they can be used in addition to WDL/DTZ to get mate distances (huge waste of disk space, though).

I am not yet finished.
Michel

Post by Michel »

I have adapted my generator for DTM, but DTM tables cannot replace WDL/DTZ. But they can be used in addition to WDL/DTZ to get mate distances (huge waste of disk space, though).
That is really good news!! I expect Texel will put these TBs to good use!
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Jouni wrote:I have seen a lot of discussion in TCEC chat (I am not joined myself).
Silly question: what’s TCEC chat? Can you give me the link of the main discussions?

So far I have found only a serious discussion in Rybka forum.
Many thanks
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Nguyen Pham link please :)
jwes

Post by jwes »

syzygy wrote:I have adapted my generator for DTM, but DTM tables cannot replace WDL/DTZ. But they can be used in addition to WDL/DTZ to get mate distances (huge waste of disk space, though).

I am not yet finished.
Would it be possible to replace some DTZ tables with DTM if those tables have no cursed wins or blessed losses?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

jwes wrote:
syzygy wrote:I have adapted my generator for DTM, but DTM tables cannot replace WDL/DTZ. But they can be used in addition to WDL/DTZ to get mate distances (huge waste of disk space, though).

I am not yet finished.
Would it be possible to replace some DTZ tables with DTM if those tables have no cursed wins or blessed losses?
It would not be a perfect replacement.

Suppose the engine is on the losing side in KQvKR. The opponent can always win it within the 50-move rule, but he might play several suboptimal moves that bring the 50-move counter to, say, 25 moves with 26 moves remaining until the capture of the rook. So now the engine has a "blessed loss" within its reach, but without DTZ table it might not be able to tell and it might not play the right moves. (DTM would try to postpone the mate as much as possible, possibly at the cost of losing the rook a move or so earlier.)

Anyway, current Cfish is able to deal at the root with any of WDL+DTZ, WDL+DTM and WDL+DTZ+DTM.

In the search, Cfish will probe WDL at TB positions and then only probe DTM if the normal TB-win score is does not lead to a cutoff (i.e. if a win is already certain and the engine starts to look for the shortest win). This fits nicely with the early_mate approach. It is also possible to use 6-piece WDL(+DTZ) with 5-piece DTM.
jwes

Post by jwes »

Is WDL+DTZ+DTM enough to ensure perfect play under the 50 move rule or do we need DTM50?

Another idea you may already be doing is splitting tables where one side has two bishops into two parts, one with one bishop of each color and one with both bishops on the same color. This would likely improve compression and would improve caching.