The SPRT without draw model, elo model or whatever...

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Re: The SPRT without draw model, Elo model or whatever...

Post by abulmo2 »

Isaac wrote:
Michel wrote:as events with probability zero do not occur
Can someone confirm or disprove this claim, please?
This is the other way around. An impossible event has a probability zero. For continuous random variable, the probability of each event is zero, but they do occur. Probabilities are then non zero on intervals of values.
Richard Delorme
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

abulmo2 wrote:
Isaac wrote:
Michel wrote:as events with probability zero do not occur
Can someone confirm or disprove this claim, please?
This is the other way around. An impossible event has a probability zero. For continuous random variable, the probability of each event is zero, but they do occur. Probabilities are then non zero on intervals of values.
When I was taking Geometry on my first year in college, my professor gave us the problem of finding the distance between two lines in 3D. He wrote the equations of two lines, making up some numbers on the spot, and asked us to prove that the lines don't intersect and then compute the distance between them. It turns out the lines did intersect. The he said: "This goes to show you that events with probability zero happen all the time."

:)
Michel

Post by Michel »

Well I wanted to keep things simple. I should have said that a random variable with zero variance is equal to its expectation value with probability one. I.e. mathematically P(X=EX)=1.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.