Human versus Machine

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Human versus Machine

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Probably I should not be posting this, the other thread running now on the main forum might be sufficient, but, as I am too emotional, I was just surprised to find another 1 star review, again without a verified purchase, on Amazon, this time about Part I of 'Human versus Machine':
https://www.amazon.com/Human-Versus-Mac ... l+tsvetkov

I might be overreacting, but I simply wonder why a book about beating the top engines, i.e., doing something close to the unimaginable, should receive bad reviews?
Of course, almost nothing in the review is true, obviously the reviewer simply did not read the book and has a grudge on me, it might very well be one and the same person posting under different names, but it still hurts.

I would be glad, if someone on this forum, who has read the book and has a different opinion, could help a bit and share his thoughts on Amazon.

Why are people so grudgy?
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Mean reviewers

I simply don't know what to say.
Obviously, I have angered beyond repair some person with my posts about
the books I have published, so that he has resorted to the meanest action possible, posting a 1-star review on Amazon, not once, but twice, for both parts of 'Human versus Machine', without even having read the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Human-Versus-Mac ... 0RCGK15NE9

It is the very same person, Serverless, who probably has accounts on all main computer chess forums.

Why are people so mean?

I have put an awful lot of effort into writing these books and get almost nothing in return, and still people resort to unimaginable dirty tricks to
deprive me of even the slightest consolation to see my books if not assessed, than at least not denigrated.

What a pity.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Mean reviewers

And, of course, nothing about the book is true, that is what hurts most.

As long as mean persons are more active than good ones, the wrong will prevail, naturally.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Part III

Part III is out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PN5QT8/re ... 584&sr=1-8

This will be the last part of the series, for the time being.

I would not like that this turns into a boring book,
the purpose has never been to publish as many games as possible,
but just to demonstrate the possibility to win against the top engines,
and cover the most common winning options.

I can play more games in the future, so there might be 4th part, but this will be only in a couple of years, when much stronger engines appear.
It does not make sense to repeat one and the same stuff. When much stronger engines appear, and people say again, well, it might have been possible to beat the tops couple of years ago, that crazy guy Lyudmil used to do it, but not now anymore, then I will play some games to renew my
collection.

I would like to thank all those on this forum, who, by chance or willingly, have bought different of my books. Thanks a lot! You have helped me to at least keep part of my face and hope in what I am doing.

The third part features handicap wins. All the credit goes to Larry Kaufman(thanks, Larry, for all those Komodo handicap matches), as, whenever Komodo would play a match against some human, I would try my hand with
precisely the same imbalance against the tops.
It proved that handicap games are a great fun, one of the most interesting things in chess, and also are very helpful to your tactical training, for the reason that materially imbalanced positions increase the necessity for more calculations.

I would also like to thank the mods here for their patience and understanding.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Part III

I forgot to say that, this time around, all diagrams are accompanied by fens, so it will be possible to check the lines with your engines.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Probably I should not be posting this, the other thread running now on the main forum might be sufficient, but, as I am too emotional, I was just surprised to find another 1 star review, again without a verified purchase, on Amazon, this time about Part I of 'Human versus Machine':

I might be overreacting, but I simply wonder why a book about beating the top engines, i.e., doing something close to the unimaginable, should receive bad reviews?
Of course, almost nothing in the review is true, obviously the reviewer simply did not read the book and has a grudge on me, it might very well be one and the same person posting under different names, but it still hurts.

I would be glad, if someone on this forum, who has read the book and has a different opinion, could help a bit and share his thoughts on Amazon.

I do not know , but how about replying to him on amazon and see what is motivating him ?
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

duncan wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Probably I should not be posting this, the other thread running now on the main forum might be sufficient, but, as I am too emotional, I was just surprised to find another 1 star review, again without a verified purchase, on Amazon, this time about Part I of 'Human versus Machine':

I do not know , but how about replying to him on amazon and see what is motivating him ?
Nothing can motivate a person who has posted 4 1-star reviews for all my books in the matter of couple of hours.

A person who claims there are:
- spelling mistakes everywhere, when Amazon software finds none
- illegal chess positions everywhere, when there are none, etc.

Except the desire to fully torpedo my hard work.

I had been relying on some members who know me better and have read the books, or know my sparring games with machines, even only by watching on this forum, to help me correct a bit the negative marks, as this is quite important on Amazon, but unfortunately people seem to be mostly unavailable at this time of year.

That is life, when you are writing original stuff, you should be ready to shoulder the consequences: most people are not very fond of originality.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

I am getting 1-star reviews for 'Human versus Machine' on an almost hourly basis.
The reviews are biased and unjust, but it still hurts.

I have always thought I had some friends on this forum, people, who have followed my posts and have read 'Human versus Machine', with Amazon accounts, who could support me a bit by submitting a different opinion, but maybe I don't have many friends after all, and people, who like truth.

What a pity, bad people have the time and courage to post, while good people lack both the time and courage.

SIGH...
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Just continue with your work Lyudmil. Never mind the trolls!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Yeah, you re too sensitive. Troll musn't make you feel sad.