asmFish 051117 64-bit 1CPU and 4CPU Gauntlets for CCRL 40/40

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tpoppins

asmFish 051117 64-bit 1CPU and 4CPU Gauntlets for CCRL 40/40

Post by tpoppins »

[moderation] Part of post deleted at user's request

Games PGN: link
Werewolf

Re: asmFish 051117 64-bit 1CPU and 4CPU Gauntlets for CCRL 4

Post by Werewolf »

top result vs Houdini 6 looks suspect
sovaz1997

Post by sovaz1997 »

Stockfish in a direct meeting is very strong. Houdini and Komodo are ranked almost the same as Stockfish because they play better with weak engines.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Yes, but not that strong.

Thank you Carl for spotting and pointing out what should have been to me the obvious. The H6 version (6.02) that played in this gauntlet was handicapped.

What happened is this. On Nov 23 I installed 6.03 but kept 6.02 on for testing purposes (incl. for CCRL tests), since the only improvement in 6.03 was a fix for some very rare stalemate positions. Seems that once you install a new Houdini version the previous version becomes automatically unregistered:

Code: Select all

Houdini 6.02 Pro x64-popc
(c) 2017 Robert Houdart

info string Licensed to tpoppins@xxx
info string No valid license found - the engine strength will be reduced
A Chessbase GUI will throw up a dialog box bearing this message and stop operating until you close it; Cute Chess 1.0.0 that I use for CCRL tests does not, so this completely slipped by me.

The 60 games in the 1CPU 40/4 gauntlet above will have to be replayed with H6.03; due to a delay with the pending CCRL update the results, fortunately, have not been yet included in the database.

This issue will also need to be brought to Robert Houdart's attention -- I don't think it was his intention to not allow a user to run multiple versions of Houdini.

In the meantime I'll ask a moderator to remove the 1CPU gauntlet from the first post.
Sincere apologies to all readers.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

tpoppins wrote:Yes, but not that strong.

Thank you Carl for spotting and pointing out what should have been to me the obvious. The H6 version (6.02) that played in this gauntlet was handicapped.
Seems that once you install a new Houdini version the previous version becomes automatically unregistered:

Code: Select all

Houdini 6.02 Pro x64-popc
(c) 2017 Robert Houdart

info string Licensed to tpoppins@xxx
info string No valid license found - the engine strength will be reduced
A Chessbase GUI will throw up a dialog box bearing this message and stop operating until you close it; Cute Chess 1.0.0 that I use for CCRL tests does not, so this completely slipped by me.

The 60 games in the 1CPU 40/4 gauntlet above will have to be replayed with H6.03; due to a delay with the pending CCRL update the results, fortunately, have not been yet included in the database.

This issue will also need to be brought to Robert Houdart's attention -- I don't think it was his intention to not allow a user to run multiple versions of Houdini.
Glad to help, I didn't know that about old Houdinis either :)