2nd Crazyhouse Computer Championships 2017

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: 2nd Crazyhouse Computer Championships 2017

Post by Ferdy »

Toadofsky wrote:Best of luck to all participants! Thanks again to Ferdinand Mosca for running these excellent events!
(Fabian did check with me and I agree with that release. Presumably we will use setting "Move Overhead=1000" which I believe Stockfish used in TCEC.)

Incidentally, Lichess is releasing a broadcast (beta) site where viewers can discuss live tournament games! Were it feasible (for the live PGN to be hosted on any web server so Lichess could poll & broadcast the games) I (~2000) and probably others would be glad to livestream commentary outside of working hours.
Fabian Fichter wrote:It will be interesting to see whether CrazyWa can challenge the top 3 seeds of the candidates. Do you have a new version of Imortal for the tournament?

For the final, I would suggest to use the last release https://github.com/niklasf/Stockfish/re ... net-071017 of Stockfish that is used for about two months now on lichess, so it should be stable. I will check with Daniel Dugovic whether he agrees.
All right then I will use sf-zh-fishnet-071017, and set Move Overhead to 1000, the same setting I used in 2016.

Broadcast would be very interesting, I don't know if google drive can be used to save and update the pgn there (I am searching for software that will automatically send the pgn in my drive to my google drive account), and if lichess can get the pgn from game link that I will supply. I am using cutechess-gui to run most of the games. I am not sure if cutechess-gui will save the move in a file after every move.
Toadofsky

Post by Toadofsky »

Ferdy wrote:Broadcast would be very interesting, I don't know if google drive can be used to save and update the pgn there (I am searching for software that will automatically send the pgn in my drive to my google drive account), and if lichess can get the pgn from game link that I will supply. I am using cutechess-gui to run most of the games. I am not sure if cutechess-gui will save the move in a file after every move.
Thanks. Using Google Drive (and cutechess-cli with PGN [not FEN] opening book) I have created a Sunsetter - Stockfish 5+5 Challenge broadcast. Unfortunately there is no known way (yet) to force cutechess-cli to emit moves before a game has concluded, but broadcasted games may still be analyzed on the Lichess site.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Toadofsky wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Broadcast would be very interesting, I don't know if google drive can be used to save and update the pgn there (I am searching for software that will automatically send the pgn in my drive to my google drive account), and if lichess can get the pgn from game link that I will supply. I am using cutechess-gui to run most of the games. I am not sure if cutechess-gui will save the move in a file after every move.
Thanks. Using Google Drive (and cutechess-cli with PGN [not FEN] opening book) I have created a Sunsetter - Stockfish 5+5 Challenge broadcast. Unfortunately there is no known way (yet) to force cutechess-cli to emit moves before a game has concluded, but broadcasted games may still be analyzed on the Lichess site.
Thanks for the info. Successfully run the LBB (Lichess broadcast beta) using google drive and download backup and sync to sync the games in my pc to my google drive account, I am using windows. Then share the file in my google drive to get the link to download the file. But I need to revise the link a little bit so that LBB would work.

download backup and sync:
https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/

Test games:
https://lichess.org/broadcast/2nd-comp- ... t/Xj7234Nu

I find a cutechess-cli version where it outputs every move of a game that is currently being played.

See post from Norman here.
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... light=cccc

Go to its github link.
https://github.com/FireFather/cccc

And download:
cccc-live.zip

Inside there is cuteches-cli v0.8.5, tried it in zh and it seemed to work. The current cutechess-cli version is already beyond 1.0.0 maybe there are already improvements on zh area. I have not investigated all the commits starting from v0.8.5 if zh is affected.

Look for the following option written in start.bat file included in that cccc-live.zip file.
-livepgnout

I am running with concurrency 7 so I use the (traditional - all games in a single file) option in LBB.

I also tried the (new - one file per game) option (output from -livepgnout) but I encountered a problem.

Since I am using the traditional method, so this is just fine with me.

Other experiment tried.
Only use a single concurrency in cutechess-cli, then use the traditional option in LBB, but use one game per file output from -livepgnout option. What happened was games were still saved but they were not properly terminated, understandable because the games are from live games. But this is actually a better method to see the live games/moves.
https://lichess.org/broadcast/zh-test-s ... e/38UvMHZY

Suggestion for LBB, due to some delays considering the TC I use and on moves transmission from my pc to google drive cloud to LBB, and saw this in LBB.
LBB upon receiving the moves, say 12, it will play all the moves on the board fast, perhaps a delay of 5s/move or settable or based on the TC used in the game is better, so that it would still look like a live game in action.

It seemed this LBB has a 64-game limit.

Merry Christmas :!:
Ferdy

Setup and Conditions update

Post by Ferdy »

Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
AlphaZero Crazyhouse would be awesome. It would probably beat Stockfish by quite a margin considering the amount of effort that has been put into development of chess and shogi engines compared to crazyhouse.
NebiyuAlien can use MCTS for crazyhouse in this tournament. All I need to beat Stockfish is alpha's awesome NN for move selection and evaluation...
How to enable MCTS in NebiyuAlien? I will include it as a separate engine in this upcoming tour?

This is nebiyu.ini file that I have.

Code: Select all

#turn logging on and off
log off

#hashtable size in mb
ht 256

#number of processors
mt  1

#split depths
smp_depth           4
cluster_depth       8

#nodes to be searched before message polling
message_poll_nodes  200 

#resign value in centipawns
resign              10000
The options are:

feature option="log -check 0"
feature option="clear_hash -button"
feature option="resign -spin 800 100 30000"
feature option="use_iid -check 1"
feature option="use_singular -check 0"
feature option="use_lmr -check 1"
feature option="use_futility -check 1"
feature option="use_qsearch_evasion -check 1"
feature option="use_null_move -check 1"
feature option="allow_king_capture -check 1"
feature option="singular_margin -spin 30 0 1000"
feature option="futility_margin -spin 125 0 1000"
feature option="paranoid -check 1"
feature option="montecarlo -check 0"
feature option="reuse_tree -check 1"
feature option="heavy -check 1"
feature option="use_tactic_reader -check 0"
feature option="UCTK -spin 44 0 100"
feature option="UCTN -spin 10 1 1000000"
feature option="RAVED -spin 24 0 1000"
feature option="RAVEK -spin 400 0 1000000"
feature option="HEAVYD -spin 1000 0 1000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_KINIT -spin 82 0 30000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_A -spin 50 0 1000000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_B -spin 13 0 100"
feature option="perft_dynamic_tree -check 0"
feature option="perft_select_type -combo *mean /// log(mean) /// uniform /// ucb
 /// min variance /// expanded sub-tree size"
feature option="perft_expand_depth -spin 3 0 100"
feature option="perft_selective_depth -spin 1 0 100"
feature option="perft_mc_fwd -spin 3 0 100"
feature option="perft_uct_fwd -spin 0 0 100"
feature option="smp_type -combo *YBW /// ABDADA /// SHT "
I saw

I can enable this option and set as new participant aside from the default. Is that enough?

Current paticipants see section 9.
https://sites.google.com/site/zhassocia ... mpionships

Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Ferdy wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
AlphaZero Crazyhouse would be awesome. It would probably beat Stockfish by quite a margin considering the amount of effort that has been put into development of chess and shogi engines compared to crazyhouse.
NebiyuAlien can use MCTS for crazyhouse in this tournament. All I need to beat Stockfish is alpha's awesome NN for move selection and evaluation...
How to enable MCTS in NebiyuAlien? I will include it as a separate engine in this upcoming tour?

This is nebiyu.ini file that I have.

#turn logging on and off
log off

#hashtable size in mb
ht 256

#number of processors
mt  1

#split depths
smp_depth           4
cluster_depth       8

#nodes to be searched before message polling
message_poll_nodes  200 

#resign value in centipawns
resign              10000
The options are:

feature option="log -check 0"
feature option="clear_hash -button"
feature option="resign -spin 800 100 30000"
feature option="use_iid -check 1"
feature option="use_singular -check 0"
feature option="use_lmr -check 1"
feature option="use_futility -check 1"
feature option="use_qsearch_evasion -check 1"
feature option="use_null_move -check 1"
feature option="allow_king_capture -check 1"
feature option="singular_margin -spin 30 0 1000"
feature option="futility_margin -spin 125 0 1000"
feature option="paranoid -check 1"
feature option="reuse_tree -check 1"
feature option="heavy -check 1"
feature option="use_tactic_reader -check 0"
feature option="UCTK -spin 44 0 100"
feature option="UCTN -spin 10 1 1000000"
feature option="RAVED -spin 24 0 1000"
feature option="RAVEK -spin 400 0 1000000"
feature option="HEAVYD -spin 1000 0 1000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_KINIT -spin 82 0 30000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_A -spin 50 0 1000000"
feature option="PROGRESSIVE_B -spin 13 0 100"
feature option="perft_dynamic_tree -check 0"
feature option="perft_select_type -combo *mean /// log(mean) /// uniform /// ucb
 /// min variance /// expanded sub-tree size"
feature option="perft_expand_depth -spin 3 0 100"
feature option="perft_selective_depth -spin 1 0 100"
feature option="perft_mc_fwd -spin 3 0 100"
feature option="perft_uct_fwd -spin 0 0 100"
feature option="smp_type -combo *YBW /// ABDADA /// SHT "
I saw

I can enable this option and set as new participant aside from the default. Is that enough?

Current paticipants see section 9.
https://sites.google.com/site/zhassocia ... mpionships

I go ahead and tried setting the montecarlo option to ON and it made an illegal move, basically ignoring that its king is under attack.

Nebiyu is playing white.

[Event "zh tests"]
[Site "i7-2600K"]
[Date "2017.12.26"]
[Round "2"]
[White "NebiyuAlien 1.45a 32bit MCTS"]
[Black "Pulsar 2009 9b 32bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[PlyCount "20"]
[Termination "illegal move"]
[TimeControl "60+1"]
[Variant "crazyhouse"]

1. e4 {book} b6 {book} 2. d4 {book} Bb7 {book} 3. Bd3 {book} e6 {book}
4. Be3 {book} Nf6 {book} 5. Nd2 {book} Nc6 {book} 6. Bc4 {3.0s}
Na5 {+0.11/5 3.4s} 7. Kf1 {2.6s} Nxc4 {+3.63/6 3.6s} 8. b3 {2.7s}
Nxe3+ {+10.33/5 3.0s} 9. Ke2 {2.6s} Nxd1 {+22.63/4 3.0s} 10. Rb1 {2.6s}
Nc3+ {+34.37/4 3.2s, White makes an illegal move: b1d1} 0-1

The version with montecarlo OFF played fine.

Game was run under Cutechess GUI.
Toadofsky

Post by Toadofsky »

Ferdy wrote:Suggestion for LBB, due to some delays considering the TC I use and on moves transmission from my pc to google drive cloud to LBB, and saw this in LBB.
LBB upon receiving the moves, say 12, it will play all the moves on the board fast, perhaps a delay of 5s/move or settable or based on the TC used in the game is better, so that it would still look like a live game in action.

Excellent! I will suggest this broadcast-beta (replay moves) change to Lichess. (Sorry, you are correct about the 64-game limit; feel free to use multiple broadcasts & we can feature each one.)

Chris Callahan (Lichess: NoJoke) & I (Lichess: Toadofsky) will ensure Lichess prominently features the broadcast at its scheduled start date (or if you prefer, once it has started). Please do invite us as "members" (upper-left corner of the broadcast) and we'll be glad to help moderate the live chat and ensure Lichess continually polls for updates (it does so if any study member is viewing the broadcast).

Merry Christmas! :D
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Toadofsky wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Suggestion for LBB, due to some delays considering the TC I use and on moves transmission from my pc to google drive cloud to LBB, and saw this in LBB.

Excellent! I will suggest this broadcast-beta (replay moves) change to Lichess. (Sorry, you are correct about the 64-game limit; feel free to use multiple broadcasts & we can feature each one.)

Chris Callahan (Lichess: NoJoke) & I (Lichess: Toadofsky) will ensure Lichess prominently features the broadcast at its scheduled start date (or if you prefer, once it has started). Please do invite us as "members" (upper-left corner of the broadcast) and we'll be glad to help moderate the live chat and ensure Lichess continually polls for updates (it does so if any study member is viewing the broadcast).

Merry Christmas! :D
All right then, I will start the candidates tomorrow 2017-12-28T08:00+08:00.

I am not sure yet if I can create a multiple broadcast separating the 11 player RR tour with 8 games per pairing totaling 440 games. I will study the swiss format to replace the round robin format in candidates.

The champs will start the day after tomorrow that is 2017-12-29T08:00+08:00. No problem for broadcast as this is only best of 32 games. I will probably increase the TC such that it is not too fast and not too long to wait for a move considering the live broadcast.
Toadofsky

Post by Toadofsky »

Ferdy wrote:All right then, I will start the candidates tomorrow 2017-12-28T08:00+08:00.

I am not sure yet if I can create a multiple broadcast separating the 11 player RR tour with 8 games per pairing totaling 440 games. I will study the swiss format to replace the round robin format in candidates.
Thanks. If it helps we can (manually) feature multiple broadcasts/PGNs in succession (although with a limit of 64 games per broadcast/PGN).
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Toadofsky wrote:
Ferdy wrote:All right then, I will start the candidates tomorrow 2017-12-28T08:00+08:00.

Thanks. If it helps we can (manually) feature multiple broadcasts/PGNs in succession (although with a limit of 64 games per broadcast/PGN).
I will go with swiss now.

Here is option 1.

Option 2.
1 broadcast per pairing, truly live as it is using 1 game at a time, but needs more work to setup the broadcast. Run all 5 pairings simultaneously.