Komodo Sub

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Hurnavich

Komodo Sub

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi,

No news of an update yet for subscribers nearly 6 months.
"May your next game be your best"
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Komodo Sub

Post by Paloma »

Yes, I want my money back.
It was promised 4 update per year. :evil:
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Hmm...

A few thoughts come to mind:

1) With Komodo's development being a 2 man operation, they are susceptible to delays due to events out of their control. For example, since the last update Mark has had to deal with a hurricane and iirc the death of a parent.

2) There were 5 updates in 2016 and 3 updates in 2017 through July. One can hardly claim that they are reneging on their promise just yet.

3) Have you tried writing directly to them?
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

Adam Hair wrote:Hmm...

1) With Komodo's development being a 2 man operation, they are susceptible to delays due to events out of their control. For example, since the last update Mark has had to deal with a hurricane and iirc the death of a parent.

2) There were 5 updates in 2016 and 3 updates in 2017 through July. One can hardly claim that they are reneging on their promise just yet.

to #2: i subscribe in July 2017 - no update since then

to #3: No, not so importend
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

So just wait and be patient. They already said they had personnal issue at different time, but Komodo will be back as usual not so late now I m sure.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

I used to be a subscriber but not anymore.
Actually, I've stopped playing computer chess since the time I saw the way AlphaZero simply destroyed and made a mockery of Stockfish.
It wasn't a simple case of an Engine beating another Engine.
But the way Stockfish was completely outclassed puts a big question mark on all modern chess engines based on alpha-beta search.
To put it in Toys analogy, after seeing kids play with Ferrari toy cars, I'd lose all interest in playing with my toy Bullock Cart ! :)
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

shrapnel wrote:I used to be a subscriber but not anymore.
Actually, I've stopped playing computer chess since the time I saw the way AlphaZero simply destroyed and made a mockery of Stockfish.
It wasn't a simple case of an Engine beating another Engine.
But the way Stockfish was completely outclassed puts a big question mark on all modern chess engines based on alpha-beta search.
To put it in Toys analogy, after seeing kids play with Ferrari toy cars, I'd lose all interest in playing with my toy Bullock Cart ! :)
Would you stop driving your own car just because you couldn't afford a Ferrari?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

AZ gives a complete new way of doing computerchess. A way, as it seems, stockfish cannot handle.

I doubt the result would have been different if they would have chosen Komodo or Houdini.

These companies can be happy that AZ hit stockfish.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Graham Banks wrote:Would you stop driving your own car just because you couldn't afford a Ferrari?
You fail to differentiate between Necessities and Hobbies.
Driving a Car to Work is a necessity for me (given the condition of Public Transport in India) so I would buy whatever Car is affordable for me.
Computer Chess is a Hobby not a Necessity, and I can always choose to drop it as a Hobby, if it fails to interest me any longer.
AZ gives a complete new way of doing computerchess. A way, as it seems, stockfish cannot handle.

I doubt the result would have been different if they would have chosen Komodo or Houdini.

These companies can be happy that AZ hit stockfish.
Spot on !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Adam Hair wrote:Hmm...

Hi,

I am sorry I did not notice this posting sooner.

We have had some delays since July (with the release of the WCCC winning version with a few enhancements). The last year I have spent a lot of time helping my parents, packing and moving them a long distance, and dealing with their health care issues. In fact, both of my parents died (just over a week apart) late summer. I and Larry have had some health issues to deal with. Just over a week ago, the doctors removed three vials of fluid from my swollen knee. The knee pain makes it harder for me to stand long periods at my computer desk (I use s standing desk). But we are working on Komodo every day. Anyway, enough of that.

We are making good, albeit it slow progress. We do not want to release anything unless it meets certain elo gains. Hopefully we will soon be there. Note the gain of Komodo 11.2.2 was a lot bigger than a typical release, so it is making it a little harder to find the elo to beat it.

I do not have any release date simply because we never know when we will get the gains we want. As programs get stronger., gains are a bit harder. I see Stockfish development has slowed recently, and it has been over 14 months from a major release for them. Anyway, when we do release, expect a faster BMI version included in the package (for Haswell and newer hardware supporting PEXT/BMI2), and more strength. We are pretty close but until the gain are found found and confirmed, and testing is complete, I do not know when we will release.

Mark