Latest Stockfish with old time managment

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Latest Stockfish with old time managment

Post by MikeB »

Damir wrote:on abrok.eu/stockfish/with old time management has just been released. :) :) It is about time. :D
New time management is buggy and loses games on time as I mentioned long time ago..
There were some aspects of the new code that were very good, time management is very tricky and it's not really possible to test all variations of time management and testing requires a lot of CPU time, much more testing is required than a 'normal" patch. I give credit to both the patch writer and to the maintainers for reverting time management. The one person who really drove the truck to make time the management revert happen was Ipman as he does most of his testing with sudden death time control (5 min /game) he was one of the first and certainly the most persistent in making the appeal to revert.

I had provided Ipman with the source of the latest release of SF-McBv4.0 with time management reverted, i.e., SF-McB with old time management, and he compiled some windows exe's which he has been has been hosting on his website since December 24th or so.

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/compiles.php

The source may be found here:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/tree/McBrain-sm
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Thanks for the effort you try and put into these engines Mike. You are doing excellent work so far. Yes old time management in Stockfish was much better than the new one, at least it was to me. It is good to see that Stockfish Team reverted to old time management.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Possibly you did not consciously mean to abuse Damir but you must know very well it was not polite what you wrote. If you don't maybe you should reread those old posts but I sincerely hope they got deleted.
Whoa! Whatever happened to freedom of speech? I had no idea Talkchess had become a kindergarten where kids were being scolded, does Marco's feelings really need so much protection?

Also, double standards, Milos "abuses" other members all the time, nothing is done against him. Which is fine, as long as it's applied to everyone, I'd rather have something consistent, though I'd probably quit again until another moderators are put in place, if posts will be deleted because they're considered "impolite" :roll:
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hi Ulysses,

If I thought that Damir had posted what he posted just to annoy people I would have reported the post to the moderators or rather quit reading his posts or rather all of Talkchess for a while which would probably be better for my own mental state. In the case of Milos I just think he is a hopeless case and he does not mind. I had not posted here in a few weeks and probably should have kept that way, but this just got to me. Don't tell me that Rybka forum is not regulated at all it just get less posts. I think a lot of people just quit because of the constant trolling. In that way we are probably ahead of the curve and it will happen with most social media. Not that I care much about that. If you want freedom of speech there is plenty of that here. I would just call most of it noise.

Thanks anyway Ulysses and good to have you back. I think I am gone for the rest of the weekend, no hard feelings.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Okay Eelco, I apologize, I thought you were a forum moderator and was warning Damir for expressing himself, clearly, my mistake since you're just another user stating his opinion. This was a misunderstanding on my part.
Don't tell me that Rybka forum is not regulated at all it just get less posts. I think a lot of people just quit because of the constant trolling.
Nah, Rybka Forum would be as good as ever if Rybka continued being number one, but Rybka is hardly relevant anymore. I'm also annoyed that I can't even use the latest version (Fritz 16) because Vas decided to drop support of older CPUs like mine, and the 32bit Fritz is overpriced, and could be weaker than the Fritz 15 I'm able to run in 64bit. I'm still a fan just because Rybka was the Alpha Zero of my generation, and without it I wouldn't be involved at all in Computer Chess (say, if stagnation continued for the last 10 years).

Anyway, hope to see you around, I remember good conversations with you on the past, and found your wishing for people messages to get deleted out of character, but I clearly jumped the gun on this one.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Ovyron wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:Possibly you did not consciously mean to abuse Damir but you must know very well it was not polite what you wrote. If you don't maybe you should reread those old posts but I sincerely hope they got deleted.
Whoa! Whatever happened to freedom of speech? I had no idea Talkchess had become a kindergarten where kids were being scolded, does Marco's feelings really need so much protection?

Also, double standards, Milos "abuses" other members all the time, nothing is done against him. Which is fine, as long as it's applied to everyone, I'd rather have something consistent, though I'd probably quit again until another moderators are put in place, if posts will be deleted because they're considered "impolite" :roll:
It seems the kindergarden came back with you and your flood of undesired posts... no thread is safe from useless comments by you.

It is really time that someone stands up to tell the truth.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Ovyron wrote:I'm also annoyed that I can't even use the latest version (Fritz 16) because Vas decided to drop support of older CPUs like mine,
I'm annoyed that there is no chess960 support, which Rybka had so Vas clearly knows how to do it. But I'm not sure what support the ChessBase GUI has for 960, so maybe that is the reason.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Modern Times wrote:I'm annoyed that there is no chess960 support, which Rybka had so Vas clearly knows how to do it. But I'm not sure what support the ChessBase GUI has for 960, so maybe that is the reason.
My opinion on that is that it's the fault of the variant itself for not being backward compatible with chess even though it could have been trivial to allow all engines and GUIs to be already compatible with it, by just adding this rule:

Castling is forbidden unless the King and the Rook that want to castle are in positions that would have allowed them to do so in normal chess, and they haven't been moved (then normal castling rules apply).

Then any new engine that is programmed is already capable of play chess960 without requiring any extra code. This was a wasted opportinity considering there aren't many variants that could have achieved backward compatibility.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ovyron wrote:
Modern Times wrote:I'm annoyed that there is no chess960 support, which Rybka had so Vas clearly knows how to do it. But I'm not sure what support the ChessBase GUI has for 960, so maybe that is the reason.
My opinion on that is that it's the fault of the variant itself for not being backward compatible with chess even though it could have been trivial to allow all engines and GUIs to be already compatible with it, by just adding this rule:

Castling is forbidden unless the King and the Rook that want to castle are in positions that would have allowed them to do so in normal chess, and they haven't been moved (then normal castling rules apply).
That would have totally crippled the variant by effectively removing castling.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

syzygy wrote:That would have totally crippled the variant by effectively removing castling.
Maybe for humans.

For engines the variant could have been way more popular since everyone could participate, instead we have a "you must add extra code for entry."

Another criticism is insisting on mirrored starting position, a lot more could be playable if you let white and black to roll positions individually, like these jewels.