LucasChess 11.04a

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lukasmonk

Re: LucasChess 11.04a

Post by lukasmonk »

Thanks Ted.
Many different people and many sensibilities, it is not easy.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

lukasmonk wrote:When any person uses the program, let it be very clear to her/him that not everything is Capablanca, Fisher and Carlsen, that there are also great women players, such as Judith Polgar, Anna Muzychuk, Yifan Hou.....
Yeah, the world is full of ignorance, and misogyny, even by women themselves!

Two bad experience I've had:

- My sister, somehow, had the idea that 2500 elo rated women played like 2300 elo rated men, or something :shock: - I struggled to explain how rating is gender indifferent, and that women play men and get the same results with the same rating difference.

- I was talking to this guy, and he claimed that men were more intelligent than women. When the topic of chess came up, where there's strong women that would defeat 99% of the chess playing men population, he claimed these women were dumb :shock:, that they should have been more intuitive, able to win by predicting the men's moves, but winning their games for different reasons :(

Women also aren't very promoted on chess videos, the most common theme I have seen is videos like "look at this woman, she plays very strong chess, and she's beautiful!" yet I have never seen a video commenting on the men's appearance...

I do like that women are put in the spotlight, though, if it was me, I'd get rid of gender difference altogether, when a tourney opens two categories for the same rating range, open (where women can join) and women only (where men can't), you never know if the woman winning the women only tourney could have won the open one as well, had she tried...
fern

Post by fern »

Man, please, NOT bring here too this awful feminism, gender issue.
I am fed up with this stuff. You cannot say a word without an hysterical woman jumping on you to accuse you of machismo or something.
If the ladies cannot play well in enough numbers to appear in strength in chess world, so be it.

I miss John wayne regards
Fern
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

fern wrote:If the ladies cannot play well in enough numbers to appear in strength in chess world, so be it.
They could if they were interested, they are not. This happens in all sports, because by nature, sports are testosterone-driven activities, and you can see it in the olympics, which are full of women with small breasts, which is caused by high testosterone.

This isn't feminism, or "women are superior" crap, I do not stand to give my place to women on the bus, nor do I open doors for them or let them pass before me, I demand equal rights, so I'm just anti-sexism.
fern

Post by fern »

They are not interested in anything that demands a very high level of concentration and dedication. They disperse easily so even if smart, they cannot harness her powers to perform ONE task.
There is a study about that.
Not that every man is capable of such a thing, either.

Fern
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

fern wrote:They are not interested in anything that demands a very high level of concentration and dedication. They disperse easily so even if smart, they cannot harness her powers to perform ONE task.
How did Judit Polgar managed to be 8th best chess player in the world, then? How does Yifan Hou play so strongly if she disperses so easily and cannot harness her powers to perform ONE task? I guess if she could do that she'd be at the level of Carlsen?

The truth is parents have a big effect on the interests of female children, and they'd rather buy them doll and toys with make up with pink decorations so it's hard to get them interested. And people all assume they will fail so we don't even have rules to allow them to play.

The best female soccer player from my country, México, is a better player than some men form the male team, but nobody expects her to be able to play, so our team plays weaker than if gender mixed teams were allowed, and I wonder if it happens in other countries as best. Sure the male team will destroy the women soccer team with ease, bu my point is that the Judit Polgar of soccer will never be given the chance to shine.
fern

Post by fern »

Exceptions always exist of course and maybe in other cultural conditions, they will become equal in everything. It is something to be seen yet.

Fern