Finally I beat OpenTal, BUT...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Finally I beat OpenTal, BUT...

Post by Ovyron »

BrendanJNorman wrote:PLAY THE BOARD! :x :wink:
I do! I do!

Lichess has this "Zen mode", that hides who are you playing, so whenever I play, I play the board, I don't know the strength of my opponent. Sometimes I have easy games and notice I have defeated someone very strong. Sometimes they fight really strong, and I'm proud of defeating them, only to find out they had a 1200 rating!

The thing is now I have played against everyone as if they have some 2400 rating, and of course that has led me to play cautiously, maybe you have a point and I should do it backwards, play as if my opponent was 1000 rated, be amazed if I manage to defeat someone strong like this instead of beating them waiting for a blunder.

I do appreciate yours and fern's comments, for some reason in these threads I'm always the weak player struggling to improve, but eventually there's a breakthough, I thought it happened the weeks I was playing at 1850 rating, but that was short-lived.

Another option is to give up trying to improve my chess and just play for fun, after all, I'm the third strongest correspondence chess player of my country in the ICCF, so I wonder if there's a point at which one should just be happy with what one does that work, instead of trying to improve at something one has to grind with.

But that's for the future, right now, somehow, playing "Casual" (no rating change) feels like a waste of time, if I wanted to do casual I'd go to the local club, too bad there's no competition there really.

So I'll try this fearless play and see how it goes, after all, I'm 120 elo lower than the last time we talked on the other thread, hopefully this is the bottom and I can only go up from here? :lol:
fern

Post by fern »

well, I have had my successes too, in fact I won a tourn years ago. The opposition was in average around 1900 or so and in those years I was 1950 or so. I won it and then with the years I became somewhat stronger BUT I did not play no more in human tourns. I was completely caught by AI. chess.
Anyway, I consider myself to be a very mediocre player.
But, in compensation, I am a literary genius :-)
My worst aspect in chess is this:
zero opening knowledge
zero ending knowledge
a mediocre competence -as everybody- in middle game but even so prone to the most stupids mistakes of the kind "what? that knight can jump backward?"
It does not matter. I enjoy playing a decent game from time to time, which means to be defeated not before 40-50 moves by a 2500+ engine.
That is OK for me.
To crush a 1700 or 1800 engine i consider misbehaving.
Good night Norman, late here...
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

fern wrote:I was completely caught by AI. chess.
Yeah, I have seen it.

Why do you prefer to play programs than other people? I find this a highly interesting subject, as I come from the video game area, where having online multiplayer is a great feature and playing the game's AI is a bore. Can't imagine someone that would rather play against a machine, but on chess we have you.
fern

Post by fern »

You have ME and many many more.
I am a solitary guy, with no taste for gatherings of any kind. Besides, computers does not fart, expel smoke, look at you with derision, get angry, etc.
Even your best friend get full of vanity and think he is smarter than you if he win you and the same if he lose, he look at you with desire of revenge.
No, thanks...

Fern
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

I'm similar, but I typically prefer to play humans...

Problem is, I live in remote China and played via internet...

And at the 2200+ level I found so many people to be cheating with engines online...

So I thought: "Why not create my own imperfect, mistake-making human-like engine opponents?"

I prefer this than playing against Stockfish.

That's where chessncognac stuff came from. :lol:
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

fern wrote:You have ME and many many more.
I am a solitary guy, with no taste for gatherings of any kind. Besides, computers does not fart, expel smoke, look at you with derision, get angry, etc.
Even your best friend get full of vanity and think he is smarter than you if he win you and the same if he lose, he look at you with desire of revenge.
No, thanks...
I see.

But nowadays with the internet you can create an account in some website and play people without the inconvenience of meeting in person. They're just like chess AI, except there's some meat bag somewhere in the world thinking about the position that is playing against you.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Ovyron wrote:
fern wrote:You have ME and many many more.
No, thanks...
I see.

But nowadays with the internet you can create an account in some website and play people without the inconvenience of meeting in person. They're just like chess AI, except there's some meat bag somewhere in the world thinking about the position that is playing against you.
+1 :)
fern

Post by fern »

Brendan, how it is you went to China, live and work there? Curious.
And how good is to live there?
I have a bad impression of a country with so many people, farting openly, eating dogs and speaking and awful language-
Of course, all this is subjective and perhaps primitive, but there you have it

fern
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

fern wrote:Brendan, how it is you went to China, live and work there? Curious.
And how good is to live there?
I have a bad impression of a country with so many people, farting openly, eating dogs and speaking and awful language-
Of course, all this is subjective and perhaps primitive, but there you have it

fern
Hey Fern, here's the answers in a simple form. :lol:

How it is you went to China, live and work there?

China, in the post-Communist period is a very young country with a very strange (by Western standards) culture, a complicated language and a form of "organized chaos" that makes life exciting.

I'd been running a chess school in Australia and although it was growing very quickly, I suddenly yearned for the simple life...

I read some things that made a BIG impression on me...

Mexican Fisherman Meets Harvard MBA

https://www.wanttoknow.info/051230whatmattersinlife

The Alchemist Paperback by Paulo Coelho

https://www.amazon.com/Alchemist-Paulo ... 0061122416

These materials changed my outlook on life, and I'd always been curious about China. I had a lot of Chinese immigrant friends in Australia and was interested in learning the Chinese language (I already spoke some before coming here), so...

I cut the distractions, closed my business and moved here for adventure when I was 28.

How good is to live there?

Pros:

- Complete language immersion/few English speakers (easier to learn your target language)

- Very safe. There is almost ZERO violent crime here. For such a huge country, there is no risk or muggings, rape, beatings etc. My pretty wife would walk home at 3am with absolutely no risk. There has to be a VERY serious "disharmony" between people for violence to occur.

- Very easy to earn money, as in 5x local full-time average salary, for 13 hours of week total (assuming you have some negotiating/entrepreneurial ability/useful skills) This is my current situation, although I also earn money from chess coaching and other online stuff.

- Cost of Living is VERY cheap (as in, even with the income of a poor person in Sydney, you will live like a king in most Chinese cities)

- Public transport and buying things online is VERY good, cheap and mostly efficient (serving 1.3 billion people requires good systems. China overdelivers here.)

- Easy to make friends (for foreigners). Chinese are generally very curious about, and friendly toward foreigners. If you can speak (even a LITTLE) Chinese, this is x10.

- Politically stable/No Riots. Nobody even cares about politics or political agendas here. And this is a big deal considering 1.3 billion people of many different backgrounds and socio-economic levels. They care mostly about working, taking care of family and earning money. As much as a lot of westerners might think differently, the government stays out of your life/doesn't interfere in your affairs (unless you start provoking them with political nonsense publicly).

- AMAZING food. China has such a diverse range of cuisines that you could travel the country for an entire lifetime and never eat the same meal. If you like spicy food, there are regions who have mastered the pepper. If you like salty/sweet etc food, the same. If you start to miss the Western cuisine, you can get a nice steak, eggs and vegetables very cheaply. Hanging out for McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, etc etc etc....you can still find it.

Cons:

- The country is still "developing". Culturally, socially and economically. So some people are rude/inconsiderate (for example,unapologetically push in lines when buying something or whatever), the road is extremely dangerous to cross/ ride a bike on, some people spit openly, lie/trick others.

- Censored internet. No Google, Facebook, etc. And Deep Packet Inspection on foreign internet traffic slows down existing internet considerably. Most of this can be overcome with a decent VPN though.

- Low trust culture. Chinese is a so-called "low trust culture". Everyone is suspicious of their neighbors intentions and fears to be scammed. So every type of otherwise simple transaction is going to take 10x the amount of time. Need to DEPOSIT money in a bank account? Still prepare to fill in 5 forms.

Misconceptions:

- Most Chinese do NOT eat dogs and cats. This type of thing is a common occurrence in this so-called "Democracy vs Communism" ideological battle. One side always highlights in their media (and is even deliberately dishonest in many cases) the weak sides of the other. Yes, in very rural Guangxi province (deep south west village region of China), they have a dog meat festival, but 99% of Chinese would vomit to think of such a thing. The way this practice (from a remote village) is highlighted in the Western media would make us think that everybody has dogs for dinner. :lol:

- The government does NOT censor the internet because it fears the people will educate themselves. What they fear is that the people will become victims of ideological subversion (very possible if agencies like the CIA have easy access to Chinese internet traffic) and try to topple the government (how many governments have they toppled even in post-WW2 history?).

- All Chinese do not know Kung Fu. In fact, the average Chinese guy has no idea how to fight (nor does he have the inkling to do so).

- Chinese do not care about Communism, Russia, NK or any of this nonsense. See the "non-political" part above. They simply want to take care of family and earn money. Thinking about this nonsense is simply time-wasting for them. If you asked someone here "don't you wish you had democracy?" they'd say "Why? My salary would be the same, my lifestyle would be the same, but the country would be more unstable/divided."

- Big crowds aren't THAT big. Sure places like Shanghai have huge crowds, but its better to think of China as having hundreds of small cities. The city I live in here is quite modern, yet is (basically) the same in population as Sydney, the city I left in Australia. Not too crowded.
fern

Post by fern »

Great resume Brendan.
I tend to think every where world is going to that model where a caste of politicians ans technicians handle things and let people enjoy his lives as they wish, provided they do not agitate the waters. Democracy with so many groups asking what they believe is his due is too much unstable and instability does not fit with the kind of fragility of a very technique society.
The point is to avoid those castes to impose a doctrine.
The model i suppose is the Confucian one, mandarins chosen after examination in charge of everything with the purpose to keep things peaceful and smooth.

Ave Caesar regards
Fern