Coming soon - SF-McBrain 9 ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: Coming soon - SF-McBrain 9 ...

Post by Ozymandias »

carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
carldaman wrote:No one thinks like that any longer. Chasing Elo now trumps even common sense. :(
But not even open source engines like SF are having those features!

What's the point of having Open Source with features people want if nobody is implementing it?

So here we have 3 different Learning methods fully implemented by people:

Result learning by Michael Sherwin.
Self-learning by Kelly Kinyama.
Persistent Hash by Jeremy Bernstein.

But nobody capable of implementing any of those into Stockfish seems interested...
It would take a lot of work to maintain such a SF fork and most people don't want to work for free. That's why it would make more sense for a strong commercial engine to incorporate such a feature. I'd pay extra for such a product, Elo gains or not, wouldn't you?
True, you can't expect people to work for free, but the reality if it... is that they do. Hence my surprise about the absence of a properly maintained fork, among the myriad of SF forks, highlighting such a feature. Why having a SF fork, if it's going to be lost in the sea (pun intended)? Why not go with one feature that will instantly make it shine?

As for commercial developers, I expect to see them turn to features, as soon as Elo chasing starts giving decreasing benefits.
Many people do work for free, of course, but they get to choose what to work on and set their own priorities... It's not easy to get them to do one's bidding that way.
Asking a question is trying to get someone to do your biding?
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
carldaman wrote:No one thinks like that any longer. Chasing Elo now trumps even common sense. :(

What's the point of having Open Source with features people want if nobody is implementing it?

But nobody capable of implementing any of those into Stockfish seems interested...
It would take a lot of work to maintain such a SF fork and most people don't want to work for free. That's why it would make more sense for a strong commercial engine to incorporate such a feature. I'd pay extra for such a product, Elo gains or not, wouldn't you?
True, you can't expect people to work for free, but the reality if it... is that they do. Hence my surprise about the absence of a properly maintained fork, among the myriad of SF forks, highlighting such a feature. Why having a SF fork, if it's going to be lost in the sea (pun intended)? Why not go with one feature that will instantly make it shine?

As for commercial developers, I expect to see them turn to features, as soon as Elo chasing starts giving decreasing benefits.
Many people do work for free, of course, but they get to choose what to work on and set their own priorities... It's not easy to get them to do one's bidding that way.

Not asking a question, but asking for something. I suppose it can't hurt to ask. :)
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ovyron wrote:

Not asking a question, but asking for something.
Can you quote me doing the later? My english must be much worse than I thought, if I did.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Ovyron wrote:

Not asking a question, but asking for something.
Can you quote me doing the later? My english must be much worse than I thought, if I did.
I never implied you did. Sorry for any misunderstanding. :)
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I found a self learning SF and am having good luck with it. It is getting better and better. (Self-learning by Kelly Kinyama) SFlearning.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
mig2004

Post by mig2004 »

There is a new version of Kelly Kinyama's Stockfish with self-learning.

https://github.com/Kellykinyama12/Stockfish

I lost my visual studio compiler on a viral attack and it will be a while before i install it again.

If anyone with visual studio could compile this in standard 64 bit and popcnt versions i would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Needs a std=c++20 compliant compiler to build it, and g++ 8.2.1 (my most recent) does not support it (std=c++17 is the latest it supports).

But there is a binary in the download from the main project in both the release archive and the sflearning archive.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Turns out it will build with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017, and std=latest
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.