Chess Programming Wiki

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ed Trice

Re: Chess Programming Wiki

Post by Ed Trice »

I just saw my own Wiki recently. There is stuff in there that clearly doesn't belong in there, especially nonsense about supposed arguments on other discussion boards with people whom I have never met.

I want all of that garbage removed. If it involves my chess programs or programs I have written or published papers, that's fine. Everything else must go.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Ed Trice wrote:I just saw my own Wiki recently. There is stuff in there that clearly doesn't belong in there, especially nonsense about supposed arguments on other discussion boards with people whom I have never met.

I want all of that garbage removed. If it involves my chess programs or programs I have written or published papers, that's fine. Everything else must go.
Ed,

I am unsure if you mean articles about you on the chessprogramming wiki, or some other wiki. I looked at your entry here:

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... discussion

and I see nothing in the page discussions at all. If any of the content is inaccurate, let me or Gerd know and we can modify it.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Some interesting threads that I knew nothing of until now. But they're only linked to.
Ed Trice

Post by Ed Trice »

1. The US Patent for Gothic Chess was sold for $250,000 to the International team who took a 50% share in the international profits once the International Patent was awarded. Why all the citation claiming "unpaid maintenance fees?" Not even close to the reason. The International Patent overshadows the US Patent in all cases.

2. Under the "References" section, remove items 3, 4, 6, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20. They have nothing to do with programming or any software I have written.

3. Under "Forum Posts" from 2005, NONE of that belongs. Remove all of it.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Ed Trice wrote:1. The US Patent for Gothic Chess was sold for $250,000 to the International team who took a 50% share in the international profits once the International Patent was awarded. Why all the citation claiming "unpaid maintenance fees?" Not even close to the reason. The International Patent overshadows the US Patent in all cases.

2. Under the "References" section, remove items 3, 4, 6, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20. They have nothing to do with programming or any software I have written.

3. Under "Forum Posts" from 2005, NONE of that belongs. Remove all of it.
Done ...
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Ed+Trice
Ed Trice

Post by Ed Trice »

Very much appreciated. Thank you.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Chess Programming Wiki...archive.org?

Post by smatovic »

Maybe we can convince archive.org to make an full backup before the shut down?

--
Srdja
Ovyron

Re: Chess Programming Wiki...archive.org?

Post by Ovyron »

smatovic wrote:Maybe we can convince archive.org to make an full backup before the shut down?
They rely on volunteers, anybody can go and do that manually. At least, in theory, it seems Wikispaces has an odd format that makes archive.org struggle.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:We have wikitext backups, and some months time to look for another host.
How about digitalocean.com? They're $5/mo. and you get 25gb of ssd disk space, a full linux shell enviornment where you can install whatever you want.

I would like to see the 'wikitext backup' for this page:
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... r+Olympiad

Looks like there are about 4500 'pages and files', 1700 members, 800 tags and likely a bunch of photos.

I have never migrated a wiki but have migrated lots and lots of sites. I'd guess this site could be moved to a basic hosting site, wikipedia installed, and the data imported without too much trouble. Possible process would be to import using the wikitexts backup you have, then augment this with a script to fill in whatever wasn't included in the backup file.

Recreating members may be a problem. Keeping underlying data needed for 'recent changes' and 'date edited' is a problem.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:We have wikitext backups, and some months time to look for another host.
How about digitalocean.com? They're $5/mo. and you get 25gb of ssd disk space, a full linux shell enviornment where you can install whatever you want.

I would like to see the 'wikitext backup' for this page:
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... r+Olympiad

Looks like there are about 4500 'pages and files', 1700 members, 800 tags and likely a bunch of photos.

I have never migrated a wiki but have migrated lots and lots of sites. I'd guess this site could be moved to a basic hosting site, wikipedia installed, and the data imported without too much trouble. Possible process would be to import using the wikitexts backup you have, then augment this with a script to fill in whatever wasn't included in the backup file.

Recreating members may be a problem. Keeping underlying data needed for 'recent changes' and 'date edited' is a problem.
Thank you for your interest and proposal - that sounds interesting. Current plans are to convert it to MediaWiki - despite bugs and problems by wikispaces to convert its native wikitext to other formats, we managed to get a ~140 MB MediaWiki.zip, but so far no way to preserve the complete history for CC BY-SA conformance.

The 'wikitext backup' by pm.