2500! Not such an exaggeration. And how computer chess helps

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: 2500! Not such an exaggeration. And how computer chess h

Post by Ovyron »

hgm wrote:
Ovyron wrote:I've been defending such posts by people since my I was Rybka Forum moderator for several years, and yes, I support freedom of speech, and will applaud anyone that isn't afraid to state their opinions.
Ah. But when Jose mentions that a certain person has a certain Elo rating, it is not free speech, but 'defamation'?
Yeah, but I'm still against deleting his posts. It was a great diservice because it hid the fact that Jose defamed Brendan, which is bad. It paints Brendan as the only offender.

Anyway, in conclusion, it seems Talkchess moderation is based on brute force, post deletion, censorship, and banning threads, using the charter to defend attacks on freedom of speech. And harrasing forum members like Brendan and me.

No doubt with the exact same charter, a different team of moderators could be making a much better job of controling the situation. But you take the lazy way of deletion and threats against members.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

BrendanJNorman wrote:*"Yo Uly! Appreciate the assist, bro!" * :lol:
:)

Well, I'm just glad you haven't quit yet, and would/will be very sad if/when you get banned, but that's only because around here it's the only place where we interact. But I'm done arguing with H.G. for now.

By the way, have you been around lichess? I've been waiting for my bell to ring like last time so we can play, but I wonder if it'd be better to just join Chess24 since it seems that's the place you frequent.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

I would see impressive with you if you get 2000 rating on chess.com than 2500 on chess24.
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

I fully support HG Muller's handling of the originator of this thread. The concerned individual has made a habit of attempting to take over most of the threads he has commented in by bullying methods and personal attacks.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Ovyron wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:*"Yo Uly! Appreciate the assist, bro!" * :lol:
:)

Well, I'm just glad you haven't quit yet, and would/will be very sad if/when you get banned, but that's only because around here it's the only place where we interact. But I'm done arguing with H.G. for now.

By the way, have you been around lichess? I've been waiting for my bell to ring like last time so we can play, but I wonder if it'd be better to just join Chess24 since it seems that's the place you frequent.

Yeah man, join chess 24.

It's definitely worth it. Games, Pgns, Live coverage of all events (even TCEC), tactics trainer and so on.

Let me know if you do, and I'll add as a friend. :wink:
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:I would see impressive with you if you get 2000 rating on chess.com than 2500 on chess24.
Given my approximation of the ratings on chess24, a 2500 player on chess24 would be about 2300 on chess.com, right?

Unfortunately, since chess.com's servers are located in the U.S, and I am located in China, it's not really practical to play on chess.com anymore.

Ive lost hundreds of chess games due to terrible lag over the years here and other chessplayers in China share the same problems on chess.com.

99% of them now use the Chinese app "Guo Xiang Lian Meng" instead.

This lag on chess.com is due to a combination of China's Deep Packet Inspection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_pack ... tion#China), the distance to the U.S servers, and poor coding standards of chess.com.

When I play on chess.com I experience serious packet loss (main caused by the DPI but exacerbated bu the other elements), and as a result get SERIOUS LAG - I'm talking, I might lose more than a minute or even 2 in a 3 minute game.

In the most extreme cases, I might lose on time in the opening, just waiting for the internet to "catch up".

Nevertheless, 2000 on chess.com is still easily manageable.

Chess24's servers on the other hand, are located in Germany (closer to me) and like many things German, their coding is top notch.

I experience no lag whatsoever, despite the DPI. 8-)

And that's why I became a premium member too, I was so impressed. :lol:
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

karger wrote:I fully support HG Muller's handling of the originator of this thread. The concerned individual has made a habit of attempting to take over most of the threads he has commented in by bullying methods and personal attacks.
People will generally support those whose personalities most harmonize with their own...

It's clear which camp you are a part of here.

The camp that tears people down, rather than building them up.

The camp that is critical, not agreeable and kind.

And this is why in your entire post history, there is no evidence of you ever having uttered a warm word to someone.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

I play on chess.com 1 min bullet! Usually rated 2000-2100! This is my last game at the time of typing this comment. I struggled to find mate with QBvs KB in 10 secs, but I got it luckily. So 1 min bullet is hit and miss, but it is really fun!

[pgn] [Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2018.02.25"]
[White "hardin411"]
[Black "drmrboss"]
[WhiteElo "2065"]
[BlackElo "2015"]
[TimeControl "60"]
[Termination "game_result.won_by_checkmate"]
[Result "0-1"]
[CurrentPosition "2rr2k1/pp2bppp/1q2p3/2nn4/2P5/1P4P1/P1QBNPBP/3R1RK1 b - - 0 20"]

1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.g3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Bg2 Bxe4 6.Bxe4 Nf6 7.Bg2 e6 8.Ne2 Nbd7 9.O-O Be7 10.d4 O-O 11.c3 Qc7 12.Bf4 Qb6 13.Qd2 c5 14.b3 Rfd8 15.dxc5 Nxc5 16.Qb2 Rac8 17.Rad1 Nd5 18.Bd2 Na4 19.Qc2 Nc5 20.c4 Nb4 21.Bxb4 Qxb4 22.Rxd8+ Rxd8 23.Rd1 Rxd1+ 24.Qxd1 h6 25.h4 Bf6 26.Nf4 b6 27.Nd3 Qc3 28.Nxc5 bxc5 29.Kh2 Bd4 30.Qf3 Qb2 31.Qa8+ Kh7 32.Be4+ g6 33.Qf8 Qxf2+ 34.Bg2 Be5 35.h5 Qxg3+ 36.Kg1 Bd4+ 37.Kh1 Be5 38.Kg1 Qe1+ 39.Bf1 Qe3+ 40.Kg2 Qg3+ 41.Kh1 Qh2# 0-1 [/pgn]
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

BrendanJNorman wrote:
Nay Lin Tun wrote:I would see impressive with you if you get 2000 rating on chess.com than 2500 on chess24.
Given my approximation of the ratings on chess24, a 2500 player on chess24 would be about 2300 on chess.com, right?

Unfortunately, since chess.com's servers are located in the U.S, and I am located in China, it's not really practical to play on chess.com anymore.

Ive lost hundreds of chess games due to terrible lag over the years here and other chessplayers in China share the same problems on chess.com.

99% of them now use the Chinese app "Guo Xiang Lian Meng" instead.

This lag on chess.com is due to a combination of China's Deep Packet Inspection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_pack ... tion#China), the distance to the U.S servers, and poor coding standards of chess.com.

When I play on chess.com I experience serious packet loss (main caused by the DPI but exacerbated bu the other elements), and as a result get SERIOUS LAG - I'm talking, I might lose more than a minute or even 2 in a 3 minute game.

In the most extreme cases, I might lose on time in the opening, just waiting for the internet to "catch up".

Nevertheless, 2000 on chess.com is still easily manageable.

Chess24's servers on the other hand, are located in Germany (closer to me) and like many things German, their coding is top notch.

I experience no lag whatsoever, despite the DPI. 8-)

And that's why I became a premium member too, I was so impressed. :lol:
This is (lag) an interesting question.

I myself started to play online on FICS years ago. Later on ICC, and nowadays on Lichess. I'm using pychess to play on FICS and on ICC. Lag compensation using timestamp on Linux seems horrible on ICC, contrary to FICS where timeseal works as expected.

On Lichess I have lost several games because of poor lag compensation they started with, but this definitely getting better and better as time goes. All in all I like Lichess most today. It's rising up, free, adless, and some big guns started to appear also https://lichess.org/blog

I use chess24 only for follow online commentries of big events. They used to be great.
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

LOL