Chess for Android v5.6

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android v5.6

Post by abik »

Chess friends,
I released version 5.6 of Chess for Android.
New features include:
  • New piece set (thanks Bryan Whitby!)
  • Menu touch feedback
  • E-Board connection support over bluetooth
  • New permission model (SMS + network + bluetooth; starting api 23)
The latter feature allows me to have just one release with all features (rather than providing a separate version that asks for more permissions). I also made my debut as youtube instructor on Chess for Android. Please have a look at https://youtu.be/VFBiXXw84Q8 (and please be kind ;-)).
abik

Re: Chess for Android v5.6

Post by abik »

I posted a bit more information on the new e-board feature on the webpage "connecting to the Millennium electronic chess board".

hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

Mr. Bik,please make at least an informal version of the CFA.Need a time control of 30 seconds per game with the addition of 0.5 seconds on the course.Minimally, the CFA can put a time control of 60+1,which is a lot(long games are).For testing the main engines, more games in less time.Fixed control for this is poorly suited (it does not work time management).I was asked about it by fans of chess.
P. S. sorry for my English.
abik

Post by abik »

Hi Alexei,
Okay, I will add those times to the time controls as well.

I badly messed up my links in the prior posting and can't edit anymore past the 15 minute mark. So, here goes again: more information on the new e-board feature on the webpage "connecting to the Millennium electronic chess board".

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Hourglass TC would be wonderful inclusion for CFA :)
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

abik wrote:Hi Alexei,
Okay, I will add those times to the time controls as well.

I badly messed up my links in the prior posting and can't edit anymore past the 15 minute mark. So, here goes again: more information on the new e-board feature on the webpage "connecting to the Millennium electronic chess board".

Thank you Mr. Bik,we will wait.
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

Nordlandia wrote:Hourglass TC would be wonderful inclusion for CFA :)
And what is their practical effect?
Only aesthetic...
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

hagtorp wrote:
And what is their practical effect?
Only aesthetic...
Hourglass TC put strain on engines, they can't use too much time simply because opponent get more thinking time. However hourglass + ponder is a interesting concept.

Hourglass mode can't go on forever because of adjudication rules in CFA.
abik

Post by abik »

Just for my education, I am guessing that an hourglass chess clock works exactly like an hourglass (zandloper in dutch). You start with some fixed time for both sides, and then while thinking, your time flows into your opponent's time, like sand. When you make your move you flip the hourglass the other way. Effectively, assuming you don't let your side of the hourglass run empty, the game never runs out of time and adjudication indeed becomes more important.

Although it sounds like fun (this is not a commitment to implement it! :-)), are there any serious engine tournaments conducted this way?
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

abik wrote:
Just for my education, I am guessing that an hourglass chess clock works exactly like an hourglass (zandloper in dutch). You start with some fixed time for both sides, and then while thinking, your time flows into your opponent's time, like sand. When you make your move you flip the hourglass the other way. Effectively, assuming you don't let your side of the hourglass run empty, the game never runs out of time and adjudication indeed becomes more important.

Although it sounds like fun (this is not a commitment to implement it! :-)), are there any serious engine tournaments conducted this way?
I in my practice have not seen these engines tournaments(with the hourglass).Although there is such an application "Chess for all" there implemented a time control when playing between engines(if I remember correctly).