Komodo 11.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo 11.3 released

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo 11.3 has been released at komodochess.com. As usual, it is free for subscribers and 20% off for those who purchased Komodo 10 or later version. Estimated elo gain over 11.2.2 is about ten on single thread (about 40 elo over Komodo 11.01), should be somewhat more on many threads as we have fixed the problem of Komodo moving too quickly when using many threads. We have added Skill levels, which are intended to range from near-beginner level for level 1 to Magnus Carlsen level (assuming 3' + 2" per side) for level 19, with level 20 being the normal full strength Komodo and the default. We have also added a BMI2 compile for those with fairly new computers that support this.

We apologize for the long interval (more than double the normal interval) between versions. This was partly due to a range of unrelated personal problems affecting both Mark and myself that cost us a lot of time but should not affect us going forward, but it is also due to the fact that it is increasingly difficult to gain Elo points just by tuning and making minor improvements. We are going to have to try more radical changes to make meaningful progress. While I am optimistic, it is hard to predict how long these changes will take to bear fruit. In the event that we have another long interval between releases in the future, we will guarantee that any subscribers who have not received three versions in one year will have their subscriptions extended until they do receive the third version.
Komodo rules!
leavenfish

Re: Komodo 11.3 released

Post by leavenfish »

Thanks (!)...and to heck with elo, it's chasing chimera once an engine gets to a certain strength...use as an analysis too is really all that is important to many of us.

A way to judge progress to some degree, yes, but there is SF and it's derivatives for those who only care about elo.

The 'radical changes' comment does give me reason for hope though!!
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

This sounds like very good news. Lets see if it will overtake Houdini. I like the idea of get three updates with subscription even if it takes longer than a year. That way the Komodo Team wont be rushed and the customer will be happy also.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

lkaufman wrote:Komodo 11.3 has been released at komodochess.com. As usual, it is free for subscribers and 20% off for those who purchased Komodo 10 or later version. Estimated elo gain over 11.2.2 is about ten on single thread (about 40 elo over Komodo 11.01), should be somewhat more on many threads as we have fixed the problem of Komodo moving too quickly when using many threads. We have added Skill levels, which are intended to range from near-beginner level for level 1 to Magnus Carlsen level (assuming 3' + 2" per side) for level 19, with level 20 being the normal full strength Komodo and the default. We have also added a BMI2 compile for those with fairly new computers that support this.

We apologize for the long interval (more than double the normal interval) between versions. This was partly due to a range of unrelated personal problems affecting both Mark and myself that cost us a lot of time but should not affect us going forward, but it is also due to the fact that it is increasingly difficult to gain Elo points just by tuning and making minor improvements. We are going to have to try more radical changes to make meaningful progress. While I am optimistic, it is hard to predict how long these changes will take to bear fruit. In the event that we have another long interval between releases in the future, we will guarantee that any subscribers who have not received three versions in one year will have their subscriptions extended until they do receive the third version.
Just in time to participate in the elite league of my tournament that is starting next week? :roll:

Anyways, it's always good to see progress, thanx a lot for the new version :D
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Leo wrote:This sounds like very good news. Lets see if it will overtake Houdini. I like the idea of get three updates with subscription even if it takes longer than a year. That way the Komodo Team wont be rushed and the customer will be happy also.
Yes, a subscription which is not time specific...but maybe 'strength' specific would be enough to keep me as a subscriber. Say...3 updates, with a gain of 20 or more elo per update would be ideal, reasonably long TC. 20 elo each (or 25 + letting some major new feature count as 1). I could go for something like that.

Thanks Team Komodo!! Larry, Mark and whomever else is involved!
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

I do have version 11.2.1.
How much elo gain would this be ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote:Komodo 11.3 has been released at komodochess.com. As usual, it is free for subscribers and 20% off for those who purchased Komodo 10 or later version. Estimated elo gain over 11.2.2 is about ten on single thread (about 40 elo over Komodo 11.01), should be somewhat more on many threads as we have fixed the problem of Komodo moving too quickly when using many threads. We have added Skill levels, which are intended to range from near-beginner level for level 1 to Magnus Carlsen level (assuming 3' + 2" per side) for level 19, with level 20 being the normal full strength Komodo and the default. We have also added a BMI2 compile for those with fairly new computers that support this.

Thank you Larry.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Komodo 11.2.1 was a partial bug fix. Komodo 11.2.2 was the free fix for that. Their elo is virtually identical.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I want to thank Ulysses P. here on the forum for suggesting we just we just automatically extend any subscriptions to make sure the buyers get some reasonable number (we set it to 3) Komodo versions, even if the year period expires. It was a great idea. Fair, simple, and takes some pressure of of us. Thanks.

Mark
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

11.3 would be equivalent to one of these test version: 2023? 2016?