I'm not very happy with the do {} while() statement in C

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: I'm not very happy with the do {} while() statement in C

Post by Ras »

lauriet wrote:The "Pascal way" is to use boolean variables.
Yeah, that's one of the many broken aspects in Pascal, these cluttering helper flags.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Michael Sherwin wrote:In other words if one is good at what they do stick to it. And if one is not good at it then modify one's approach to get better. :!:
What I'm saying is that there are no rules when it comes to programming. There are only guidelines for beginners.

Every time you do something that violates the "guidelines for beginners" (such as using goto, or global variables, etc.), just think of it as tradeoff. What is the harm ? What is the benefit ? Is it worth it ? And think of it only in the specific context of the piece of code in front of you, not in general (ie. dogmatic) terms.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
sedicla
Full name: Alcides Schulz

Post by sedicla »

lucasart wrote:
C++ vs. C; OOP vs. Procedural; Global vs. Local. These are different and unrelated things.

You can use C and write OOP. You can use C++ and use Procedural. You can use lots of globals or none, in C or C++.

Whatever you do, never be religious about it. Writing code that has 0 global variable for the sake of it is plain stupidity. Same as writing code without break, continue, goto, only 1 return per function, etc. Dogmatic rules are stupid.

Of course you need global variables. I don't know any engine that has zero global. At the very least you need things like the Hash Table to be global.

Just think of it this way: does this variable really need to be a global ? Imagine if it wasn't: how much would it complicate the code, carrying it through function parameters all over the place ? Of course using "struct" (or "class" which is exactly the same modulo C++ syntactic sugar) reduces the mess of adding function parameters, by structuring them into single arguments.

But, generally, good code is good code. Doesn't matter if it's C or C++ (or Python or Go or D or whatever you like). Doesn't matter if it's OOP or Procedural. You can write clean and well organized code in plain old C. For example: https://github.com/lucasart/demolito. You can also write incredibly bad code in C++, and there's no lack of that around. But that's not C++'s fault...
+1.

I like the saying that code should be correct, clear, and fast. In that order. I started my engine with that in mind, but backwards :oops:
But at each release, I always try to re-engineer some parts. I like the code more afterwards.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Michael Sherwin wrote: In other words if one is good at what they do stick to it. And if one is not good at it then modify one's approach to get better. :!:
In other word use your brain. Usually it is better than the handbook.

If, given 2 pieces of code you are able to tell which is the best one, then this is already a good achievement.

If, given your code, you are able to rewrite it and make it better then this is an even better achievement.

If, after, you rewrite it, you feel satisfied and you want to rewrite it even one more time, well, in that case you don't need handbooks :-)
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Michael Sherwin wrote:I don't mean to be a pain but to me it sounds like you are describing the C++ way. I know that C++ objects can be simulated in C using structures and being strict in using function calls accordingly. But then I might as well use C++. In my way of thinking C++ using objects is superior for a team project so team members do not trample all over another team members variable names and function names. For a single person working on a one file source C++ methodology does not seem (as) beneficial. I can write 32 bit assembler with the best of em. However, the nuances of 64 bit assembly is giving me a hard time or I'd be writing this primarily in assembler. My goal is writing code that is as fast as it can be. I have sort of a reputation for that or at least I did when RomiChess first came out and also my perft examples I wrote. My perft example in 32 bit assembler runs at 65 million nodes per second using a single thread on my 3.4GHz i7. Not bragging, just saying I like to stick with my programming style. And learning a new paradigm at my age is not easy. What you are suggesting that I should do by passing a pointer around I understand would not make a very noticeable difference in speed but learning a whole new paradigm at my age would certainly slow my progress. I thank you for the philosophical discussion and anything more that you would like to add. I wonder what others might think about what you are suggesting.

Bob? :D
I am not Bob :lol: but what I did in the past (32 bit of course) is to write stuff in C then look at the ASM code the compiler generated and then manually optimize it. Perhaps it makes sense for 64 bit as well.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Rebel wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:I don't mean to be a pain but to me it sounds like you are describing the C++ way. I know that C++ objects can be simulated in C using structures and being strict in using function calls accordingly. But then I might as well use C++. In my way of thinking C++ using objects is superior for a team project so team members do not trample all over another team members variable names and function names. For a single person working on a one file source C++ methodology does not seem (as) beneficial. I can write 32 bit assembler with the best of em. However, the nuances of 64 bit assembly is giving me a hard time or I'd be writing this primarily in assembler. My goal is writing code that is as fast as it can be. I have sort of a reputation for that or at least I did when RomiChess first came out and also my perft examples I wrote. My perft example in 32 bit assembler runs at 65 million nodes per second using a single thread on my 3.4GHz i7. Not bragging, just saying I like to stick with my programming style. And learning a new paradigm at my age is not easy. What you are suggesting that I should do by passing a pointer around I understand would not make a very noticeable difference in speed but learning a whole new paradigm at my age would certainly slow my progress. I thank you for the philosophical discussion and anything more that you would like to add. I wonder what others might think about what you are suggesting.

Bob? :D
I am not Bob :lol: but what I did in the past (32 bit of course) is to write stuff in C then look at the ASM code the compiler generated and then manually optimize it. Perhaps it makes sense for 64 bit as well.
Ah, very logical Not Bob! :lol: Thanks! :D
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Michael Sherwin

mcostalba wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote: In other words if one is good at what they do stick to it. And if one is not good at it then modify one's approach to get better. :!:
In other word use your brain. Usually it is better than the handbook.

If, given 2 pieces of code you are able to tell which is the best one, then this is already a good achievement.

If, given your code, you are able to rewrite it and make it better then this is an even better achievement.

If, after, you rewrite it, you feel satisfied and you want to rewrite it even one more time, well, in that case you don't need handbooks :-)
Hi Marco, Unfortunately I was born with a memory disability for certain types of things. I always have to use a handbook. I wrote RomiChess with a C primer in one hand and a very basic book on computer chess programming in the other. If I do not use a specific feature in C, for example, for a period of time I forget it ever existed. So I am always searching the handbook for what I want to do.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Rebel wrote:what I did in the past (32 bit of course) is to write stuff in C then look at the ASM code the compiler generated and then manually optimize it. Perhaps it makes sense for 64 bit as well.
I wouldn't go for that. Several reasons:

1) the deep instruction pipelines of modern processors are difficult to deal with.
2) every processor, even compatible ones, has different pipelines. What's good today may be bad tomorrow.
3) out of order execution may easily mess up seemingly fine code.
4) it's not portable e.g. between x86 PCs and ARM smartphones.
5) the development time explodes, using up time that would yield more ELO when invested in the algorithms.

Stockfish has much less assembly (and half of it is even wrong, IMO) than Crafty and still plays stronger.

I'm using assembly only when I need more direct hardware access than C can provide.
abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Post by abulmo2 »

Ras wrote:Stockfish has much less assembly (and half of it is even wrong, IMO) than Crafty and still plays stronger.
What about asmfish ?
Doesn't it prove that assembly can provide faster engine than C++ ?
Richard Delorme
Michael Sherwin

abulmo2 wrote:
Ras wrote:Stockfish has much less assembly (and half of it is even wrong, IMO) than Crafty and still plays stronger.
What about asmfish ?
Doesn't it prove that assembly can provide faster engine than C++ ?
Speed was not Ras's mian focus. His focus was that assembly is not needed to create a really strong engine. The main reason that I would use 64 bit assembler over C right now is because my jump table style of chess programming lends itself to using a small subset of the assembly instructions. And that allows me to work faster due to my memory limitations.

Code: Select all

iptmf    dd          0
            dd          wpm,wpm,wpm,wpm,wpm,wpm,wpm,wpm
            dd          wnm,wnm,wbm,wbm,wrm,wrm,wqm,wkm
            dd          wck,wcq,wmter
            dd          cbcam
            dd          0
            dd          bpm,bpm,bpm,bpm,bpm,bpm,bpm,bpm
            dd          bnm,bnm,bbm,bbm,brm,brm,bqm,bkm
            dd          bck,bcq,bmter
            dd          cwcam

iptcf      dd          0