World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

velmarin

Re: World Computer Chess Championship

Post by velmarin »

Rebel wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
Kotlov wrote:
Leo wrote:This is a golden opportunity for Alpha Zero.
Google better than that.
Yeah, note that when they wanted to play against the strongest chess engine available, they didn't look at the WCCC, but they chose TCEC's winner.

So at this point, Alpha Zero has a higher chance to appear in TCEC than in the WCCC.
I think it's the other way around. David already might even have a signed contract with the AZ folks.
I don't think, move to the headquarters of the game such a lot of hardware, or there is another possibility, I don't know.
Playing with the same hardware we all know it's impossible.
Regarding why Stockfish was chosen to play with alpha zero, there are two compelling reasons why Stockish is free of charge and Stockfish is God, number 1 without discussion.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

velmarin wrote: I don't think, move to the headquarters of the game such a lot of hardware, or there is another possibility, I don't know.
Bring a laptop and play remotely it is what most people do.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

You do understand the machine it played on vs SF is no larger than a single workstation?

The Nvidia version looks like this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-station/

While not a laptop, I would not classify moving such a box as "impossible."
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

jhellis3 wrote:
You do understand the machine it played on vs SF is no larger than a single workstation?

The Nvidia version looks like this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-station/

While not a laptop, I would not classify moving such a box as "impossible."
The official photos showed a fairly large room with luminous wires and some pretty girl, or maybe it was my imagination.
Well if the Rollings Stones take their concert instruments anywhere, a few hundred trucks, why not take alpha zero to win this little contest. :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
velmarin wrote: I don't think, move to the headquarters of the game such a lot of hardware, or there is another possibility, I don't know.
Bring a laptop and play remotely it is what most people do.
It can't be!!

Excuse me,,,, you take out your show at the last minute and put Stockfish,,,,,
This wouldn't be serious.......
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

The official photos showed a fairly large room with luminous wires and some pretty girl, or maybe it was my imagination.
Those were the servers where the training games were played, not the machine the NN that played SF actually ran on.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Rebel wrote:I think it's the other way around. David already might even have a signed contract with the AZ folks.
Doubtful, since so far David has been of the kind of people that waits to be contacted by engine authors to apply to join the WCCC. Contacting the TCEC Champion would be a first.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

jhellis3 wrote:
Those were the servers where the training games were played, not the machine the NN that played SF actually ran on.
So the software was portable.
That's new, let's say that software can be commercialized or published.
or their knowledge, their databases
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

That's new, let's say that software can be commercialized or published.
??? There is nothing new about it AFAICS. AlphaGo Master and AlphaGo Zero both ran on similar 4 TPU systems. The software has always been portable, the only question is that of strength given limited resources.

Yeah DM could commercialize it, and in a sense they are (one can lease TPU time). As for DM themselves, they seem to be interested in projects of a much larger scale than computer chess.

But I would rather use LCZ (or another open source project) than buy something commercial anyway.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Ovyron wrote:
Kotlov wrote:
Leo wrote:This is a golden opportunity for Alpha Zero.
Google better than that.
Yeah, note that when they wanted to play against the strongest chess engine available, they didn't look at the WCCC, but they chose TCEC's winner.

So at this point, Alpha Zero has a higher chance to appear in TCEC than in the WCCC.
Wouldn't they have to use TCECs hardware?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.