World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kotlov

Re: World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Kotlov »

velmarin wrote:
jhellis3 wrote:
Playing with the same hardware we all know it's impossible.
You do understand the machine it played on vs SF is no larger than a single workstation?

The Nvidia version looks like this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-station/

While not a laptop, I would not classify moving such a box as "impossible."
The official photos showed a fairly large room with luminous wires and some pretty girl, or maybe it was my imagination.
Well if the Rollings Stones take their concert instruments anywhere, a few hundred trucks, why not take alpha zero to win this little contest. :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
When the match Kasparov-DeepBlue was played, the computer also weighed more than Kasparov. But no one doubted that the future of computers.

NN only develops, and already such tremendous results.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ovyron wrote:
Rebel wrote:I think it's the other way around. David already might even have a signed contract with the AZ folks.
Doubtful, since so far David has been of the kind of people that waits to be contacted by engine authors to apply to join the WCCC. Contacting the TCEC Champion would be a first.
I do not think Ed was referring to the TCEC champ.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Kotlov wrote:When the match Kasparov-DeepBlue was played, the computer also weighed more than Kasparov.
But I guess Kasparov weighs more now than he did back then. ;-)
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Ras wrote:
Kotlov wrote:When the match Kasparov-DeepBlue was played, the computer also weighed more than Kasparov.
But I guess Kasparov weighs more now than he did back then. ;-)
That was something different.
Here we talk about how some teams can be investigated and others,
not so much......
I don't think anyone dares ask for Komodo's sources.
It does not seem normal to have a terminal on an unknown computer,,,, or how it is handled during play.
In my opinion.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
Rebel wrote:I think it's the other way around. David already might even have a signed contract with the AZ folks.
Doubtful, since so far David has been of the kind of people that waits to be contacted by engine authors to apply to join the WCCC. Contacting the TCEC Champion would be a first.
I do not think Ed was referring to the TCEC champ.
Indeed, chance of a $$$ lifetime. AZ still has something to proof. No basement tournamnt with favorable conditions, finally something worthy to put on their website.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Rebel wrote:AZ still has something to proof. No basement tournamnt with favorable conditions, finally something worthy to put on their website.
I'm amazed by this comment, I wouldn't call the WCCC something worthy to put on someone's website in its current status, and I assumed you'd think similary, considering you forfeited all your WCCC prizes and titles.

At this point it'd be better publicity for Deep Mind to claim they used Alpha Zero to defeat Stockfish, Houdini and Komodo at the TCEC, running on common hardware (!) than claiming they only defeated Komodo using some monster Hardware on a WCCC that doesn't even include the others (they'd defeat the third best). Though this could change if TCEC's champion accepts the invitation.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Ovyron wrote:
A little past history. Someone wanted to enter Stockfish in the WCCC a few years ago. He was going to pay his own expenses and arrange for a machine. But it was veto by the Stockfish team, so it did not happen. Once they decided not to play, it does not look worthwhile to keep asking them. (some might even call it harassment). Perhaps they are reconsidering and hopefully Stockfish will enter.

Whatever you think of "in person" or "internet" tournaments, the in person events have generated a lot of press and a lot of interest in computer chess. I think this is a good thing. Winning one of these does not always mean the winner is the strongest program. But I think it helps promote computer chess whoever wins.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ovyron wrote:
Rebel wrote:AZ still has something to proof. No basement tournamnt with favorable conditions, finally something worthy to put on their website.
I'm amazed by this comment, I wouldn't call the WCCC something worthy to put on someone's website in its current status, and I assumed you'd think similary, considering you forfeited all your WCCC prizes and titles.
My feelings about the ICGA are a one man opinion not necessarily representing the collective and as such I expressed myself.
Ed Trice

Post by Ed Trice »

Just a couple of questions for those who have followed the World Computer Chess Championships closely year after year:

1. How often does the time management code of the program factor into the definitive results? Ex: Running out the opponent's clock towards the end and forgoing longer searches in hopes of finding stronger moves?

2. Has there ever been a "book beatdown" where one program played flawlessly from its book from start to finish, drubbing the unsuspecting opponent?

3. Is there more interest in a Common Hardware Platform, or are there still those massively parallel systems that will always participate and skew the performance heavily in their favor?

I am starting to "get back into it" after decades of being away.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

mjlef wrote:Winning one of these does not always mean the winner is the strongest program. But I think it helps promote computer chess whoever wins.
Aye. One curious thing about the WCCC is that it's not made to know who's the best. We already know who's the best (Stockfish), we have a really good idea of the 2rd/3rd place (Komodo/Houdini) and 4th/5th (Shredder/Fire)... {Alpha Zero purposely left out}

If the goal is to promote computer chess, then what you want is some big tournament, and you don't need the best in there because you're not trying to figure out who's best but create big fuzz in the media about it.

In this case, Marco Costalba's idea of teaming up with lichess has some merit, since lichess already has media presence, as it has run prized, titled tournaments online where Magnus Carlsen has participated and won, you could arrange something like inviting Magnus Carlsen to be the operator of the strongest chess engine participating, and his presence alone would instantly help the event to have more attention.

To have a lot of engines in there, my suggestion would be to invite all engines authors to participate. My idea is that people are already going to be going to the WCCC's place, so you can have more engines participating without increasing expenses if you propose engine authors to have representatives that are already attending to operate their engines.

For example, suppose you want the Fizbo chess engine in there. For whatever reason Youri Matiounine, its author, is not interested in playing, or can't do it due to time constraints or money problems. But Larry Kaufman is going to be present in the WCCC. What you'd propose in an invitation to Youri Matiounine, is that if he's not able to attend, what if Larry Kaufman is appointed as Fizbo's representative and operates the engine in the Championship.

Once Fizbo is there, you can do something to get Andscacs or Booot with them. David Levy could be a representative/operator, without increasing expenses, etc.

At some point you could have enough participants, that you could say "7 of the top 10 chess engines will be participating in this year's WCCC", this could help promote computer chess.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.