LCZero update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Xu

Re: LCZero update

Post by David Xu »

His problem with AlphaZero is that it dares to suggest that the current paradigm of chess engineering might not be the global optimum, which is an unforgivable affront to... something.
gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Post by gladius »

Uri Blass wrote:
Leo wrote:Its logical to try LCZero to see if it works. I am skeptical but not a pessimist.
I look at the games and I see a lot of stupid one ply blunder that lose material.
I do not know what they do but if after many thousands of games it plays like that then I do not believe in it.
One thing to remember - the training games are played with randomization: https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... #L169-L194. Eg. even if the search picks a good move, we can cause it to randomly select another one. This is done to ensure we explore more possibilities and every now and then that random selection will be better than the search, and the network will hopefully learn something :).

So, the training games are not a good representation of the real strength of the network.

That being said, it will still blunder right now. Let's see where we are in a few months :).
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

gladius wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Leo wrote:Its logical to try LCZero to see if it works. I am skeptical but not a pessimist.
I look at the games and I see a lot of stupid one ply blunder that lose material.
I do not know what they do but if after many thousands of games it plays like that then I do not believe in it.
One thing to remember - the training games are played with randomization: https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... #L169-L194. Eg. even if the search picks a good move, we can cause it to randomly select another one. This is done to ensure we explore more possibilities and every now and then that random selection will be better than the search, and the network will hopefully learn something :).

So, the training games are not a good representation of the real strength of the network.

That being said, it will still blunder right now. Let's see where we are in a few months :).
I watched some of the games and at least the latest ones seem like it learned "something" :P

Another thing I wanted to ask is, why doesnt it castle ?. Can anyone point me to a game where it actually castled ? :P
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

I was thinking - once LCZero is trained to a higher level, is it possible to train the weights to make draws less interesting? e.g. score draws as 0.3 instead of 0.5 to make it play more aggressively for a win?
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Robert Pope wrote:I was thinking - once LCZero is trained to a higher level, is it possible to train the weights to make draws less interesting? e.g. score draws as 0.3 instead of 0.5 to make it play more aggressively for a win?
If it positively effects the performance then one might try that. However, I would stick with the usual scoring system as they are many other things that need to be worked on (Especially promoting the program to get more ppl involved). Restarting the training right now, doesn't seem wise.
David Xu

Post by David Xu »

It already plays very aggressively (if you go to http://lczero.org/stats you'll see that the draw rate during self-play is incredibly low), so I don't see a need to try and force more aggressiveness for now.
Vizvezdenec

Post by Vizvezdenec »

draw rate is low only because it plays on a level of 3-years old kid.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Vizvezdenec wrote:draw rate is low only because it plays on a level of 3-years old kid.
Exeperience shows that draw level is not so low at the lowest human level of children and you often get stalemates.
David Xu

Post by David Xu »

If you actually look at the network history (which I assume you didn't bother to do, since checking the facts seems to be beneath you), you will see that the draw rate has been decreasing as training progresses. A random mover draws against itself far more frequently than the current network does.

So no, it does not simply have a low draw rate because it plays "like a three-year-old child". Wonder what it will take before you people start to understand.
Milos

Post by Milos »

David Xu wrote:So no, it does not simply have a low draw rate because it plays "like a three-year-old child". Wonder what it will take before you people start to understand.
It certainly takes much more than an arrogant and delusional troll preaching them. ;)