Upcoming feature: move animation

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: Upcoming feature: move animation

Post by Nordlandia »

I wish CFA can support two computer match feature for benefiting from ponder during games. Wifi-network matches. Two smartphones with CFA linked together for benefiting from permanent brain.

Fritz gui support it through cloud matches but require active subscription.
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

Nordlandia wrote:I wish CFA can support two computer match feature for benefiting from ponder during games. Wifi-network matches. Two smartphones with CFA linked together for benefiting from permanent brain.
But something like that is already supported. If you have an UCI or XBoard engine running on a server, you can connect to it from Chess for Android (UCI and XBoard -> Import Engine -> Network Socket, and type the Hostname and Port). For more on this, see the manual and this old blog posting.

In this setup, the engine on the device and the engine on the server get (almost) exclusive access to the respective computing capabilities.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Is the tool named "ChessPeer" ?

The link software from Bernhard Wallner's has expired.

http://aartbik.blogspot.no/2012/03/conn ... emote.html
abik

Post by abik »

Nordlandia wrote:Is the tool named "ChessPeer" ? The link software from Bernhard Wallner's has expired.

http://aartbik.blogspot.no/2012/03/conn ... emote.html
I am not super surprised the link no longer works, my blog posting was from 2012, but it is a pity nevertheless. Bernhard Wallner's project as a whole was called netChess (with a client and server), but in this context, the engineServer binary is what you are looking for. Perhaps others are available now. Worst case, writing a small server for this very specific purpose is not that hard either.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

If my S8+ can play against windows engines, that will be amazingl. And definitely a futureproof addition for CFA.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I wrote a program 'connect.exe', which can act both as server and client, depending on the command-line arguments you start it with. As server it launches an engine each time a connection is made to it; as client it behaves like the remote engine.
abik

Post by abik »

Nordlandia wrote:And definitely a future proof addition for CFA.
Just for the record, not an addition. Network support has been there since 2012.... I am thinking of new features though, like connecting to FICS as a client in a simple manner.
abik

Post by abik »

hgm wrote:I wrote a program 'connect.exe', which can act both as server and client, depending on the command-line arguments you start it with. As server it launches an engine each time a connection is made to it; as client it behaves like the remote engine.
Nordlandia, this is exactly what you want.

HG. I know you sometimes host tournaments, but by any chance, do you also have a permanent live server running with XBoard or UCI engines (or know somebody that does)? I have hosted an engine server for experimental purposes, but don't have direct plans for a permanent setup. It would be nice to link folks to a reliable host for this feature?
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

abik wrote:Just for the record, not an addition. Network support has been there since 2012.... I am thinking of new features though, like connecting to FICS as a client in a simple manner.
Simplicity over complexity 😃
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

abik wrote:HG. I know you sometimes host tournaments, but by any chance, do you also have a permanent live server running with XBoard or UCI engines (or know somebody that does)? I have hosted an engine server for experimental purposes, but don't have direct plans for a permanent setup. It would be nice to link folks to a reliable host for this feature?
No, I don't. I don't see why anyone would do that. If you want to make your engine available for playing against others, you would log it on to FICS.

The reason for making connect.exe was that I wanted to use my desktop for plaing in the ICGA Olympiad in Kanazawa without having to take it with me. So I had rigged the machine as a server that I could connect to from the GUI on my laptop. Unfortunately the internet connection from Japan to Amsterdam was much too unreliable to actually do that.

This gives me an idea, though: I could set up a server for my Tenjiku Shogi engine. That way I could check who uses it, and which positions he analyses, so I can make sure people do not use it for cheating in the correspondence championship. (I have not released the engine for that reason.)