Chess Tools

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeGL

Re: Chess Tools

Post by MikeGL »

Ovyron wrote:
MikeGL wrote:Nice pun. Sounds like "I Query" which is what the adapter really does.
Gotta love serendipities like that :)

I've noticed that when set to 10 seconds/move Aiquiri will play most of them in 8 (because both engines agree on a move), I wonder if in a time control with that average it'd be able to increase its performance as 20% of its time accumulates, or if lone engines would play fast anyway so it'll be 20% of a fraction of a second to not make a difference.
That idea of querying multiple engines is both novel and brilliant.
Thanks to you and Ferdy for this tool
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Ferdy

Re: Chess Tools // patcher for hardwired piece values

Post by Ferdy »

MikeGL wrote:
Ferdy wrote:You may describe here the chess tools/utilities that you need. If I have time and knowledge, I may create it. Or other programmers may also do it.
It can be FEN, EPD, and PGN processing, engine use, website scraping, data analysis and others.
SF, in my opinion, is not as flexible as other engines. Unlike TheKing, Critter,
Komodo, your engine Deuterium, and other engines where the user can freely set piece
values and other engine constants within engine config (UCI options).
On the other hand, these values were hardcoded in SF. True, I can change SF source and
recompile. But for mere mortals like me, recompiling is a heavy task.
Would be nice if there's a GUI patcher for official SF9 version where the
user can edit all those hardcoded piece values to tune SF engine for ones
taste.

For instance, I would like SF9 to always play NxP every time it has the
opportunity, so I would just set knight value equal to pawn. Ok I
made it weaker, but for me it would be a fun experience playing it, and would still be difficult to defeat .

Also, these patcher can tune SF piece values for those with extra time on their hands.
If I remember correctly, Critter programmer also built a similar GUI patcher around 7 years or 10 years ago.
I am not that familiar with SF code to make its piece values settable via options, (probably takes me some time to figure it out) maybe there are other people here that can do that easily with compiles too.
Ferdy

Re: Chess Tools // patcher for hardwired piece values

Post by Ferdy »

MikeGL wrote:
Ferdy wrote:You may describe here the chess tools/utilities that you need. If I have time and knowledge, I may create it. Or other programmers may also do it.
It can be FEN, EPD, and PGN processing, engine use, website scraping, data analysis and others.
SF, in my opinion, is not as flexible as other engines. Unlike TheKing, Critter,
Komodo, your engine Deuterium, and other engines where the user can freely set piece
values and other engine constants within engine config (UCI options).
On the other hand, these values were hardcoded in SF. True, I can change SF source and
recompile. But for mere mortals like me, recompiling is a heavy task.
Would be nice if there's a GUI patcher for official SF9 version where the
user can edit all those hardcoded piece values to tune SF engine for ones
taste.

For instance, I would like SF9 to always play NxP every time it has the
opportunity, so I would just set knight value equal to pawn. Ok I
made it weaker, but for me it would be a fun experience playing it, and would still be difficult to defeat .

Also, these patcher can tune SF piece values for those with extra time on their hands.
If I remember correctly, Critter programmer also built a similar GUI patcher around 7 years or 10 years ago.
I am not that familiar with SF code to make its piece values settable via options, (probably takes me some time to figure it out) maybe there are other people here that can do that easily with compiles too.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ferdy wrote: MEA update for WB engines :wink:
Released mea 0.2.0 beta with WB supports.
https://mea.bitballoon.com/

Tested WB engines.
https://mea.bitballoon.com/xb-sts8-results
Wow, nice job, works like a charm.

Is there a trick one can set the level to fixed depth?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Rebel wrote:
Ferdy wrote: MEA update for WB engines :wink:
Released mea 0.2.0 beta with WB supports.
https://mea.bitballoon.com/

Tested WB engines.
https://mea.bitballoon.com/xb-sts8-results
Wow, nice job, works like a charm.

Is there a trick one can set the level to fixed depth?
Not possible in current beta, for xboard I need to send sd [depth_number] command to the engine. Even for uci, go depth [depth_number] is also not supported.
fantasmadel50

Post by fantasmadel50 »

Buenas a todos !!

Hay algún tipo de software , que pueda convertir grandes bases de datos cbh a pgn , sin ser chessbase o chess base reader.

Estos tienen la limitación de tamaño de 1 a 2 gigas.?

Good morning everyone !!

There is some kind of software, which can convert large databases cbh to pgn, without being chessbase or chess base reader.

These have the size limitation of 1 to 2 gigs.?
main line

Post by main line »

I will try to explain what I want here:
-this is command I got from somebody in TCEC chat :
perl -00 -ne "s/([ \t\n\r][0-9]+[.][ \t\n\r])/!$1/g;print;" games.pgn>blackwon.pgn
(this command working in Perl's command prompt)
I am using it to make all black moves "!"-signed in the database finished 0-1. Similar command is signing all white moves "!" in database contains games finished 1-0.

Similar command is this:
perl -00 -ne "s/([ \t\n\r][0-9]+[.][ \t\n\r])/?$1/g;print;" games.pgn>blacklost.pgn
this signed all black moves "?" in every game in the whole database contains games finished 1-0.
And these commands are perfectly working with sign "!!", "!?","?!" and "??" too (only need to put them in the command line instead existing "!" or "?" sign).
I am using these "signed games" for make ctg.book.

But I tried ( unsuccessfully ) to get commands to put this sign ($18) or combination ($144 $40 for ex.) on the right place in the pgn.file. It is not same as commands about "!","?" signs because ($18) comes after extra space ahead move (white or black). Another problem is that "$" is not simple letter/sign in Perl ( but a dollar sign ($) has some function).

Here is example what signs exist - $18, $19, $16, $17, $14, $15, $11, $13, $36, $44, $32 or combination $144 $40 ect. like in the next game:
1. e4 $18 c6 $19 2. d4 $16 d5 $17 3. e5 $14 Bf5 $15 4. Nf3 $11 e6 $13 5. Be2
$36 Nd7 $44 6. O-O $144 $40 Ne7 $32 *

And what we can to do about that? Can somebody very smart to make program to put this "sign" $18 in pgn games of whole database after every white move or after every black move or in same time after every white and black move?
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

fantasmadel50 wrote:Buenas a todos !!

Hay algún tipo de software , que pueda convertir grandes bases de datos cbh a pgn , sin ser chessbase o chess base reader.

Good morning everyone !!

There is some kind of software, which can convert large databases cbh to pgn, without being chessbase or chess base reader.

http://scidb.sourceforge.net/index.html
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

fantasmadel50 wrote:Buenas a todos !!

Good morning everyone !!

There's no size limitation to the PGN standard, other than those your system might have. I've used DBs in the hundreds of Gigabytes without problems. Another thing entirely, is wanting to use them with a ChessDB program, I would recommend command-line tools instead.
main line

Post by main line »

I got these commands from expert programmer, great person :

White annotation:
perl -00 -ne "s/([ \t\n\r][0-9]+[.][ \t\n\r]\w+[ \t\n\r])/$1\$14 /g;print;" games.pgn>dollar14.pgn

Black annotation:
perl -00 -ne "s/([ \t\n\r][0-9]+[.][ \t\n\r][^ \t\n\r]+?[ \t\n\r][^ \t\n\r]+)/$1 \$18/g;print;" games.pgn>dollar18.pgn

All have tested and passed
https://regex101.com/r/wu6SKZ/2