Really Elo of AlphaZero

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Will lczero ever reach performance of AlphaZero?

Yes but need time
50%
No
15%
Never because AlphaZero used very huge hardware
35%

Total votes: 34

main line

Really Elo of AlphaZero

Post by main line »

All are talking about 100 games match between Stockfish and AlphaZero but they had forgotten 1200 games match between Stockfish and AlphaZero.
Result was:
AlphaZero vs Stockfish 8 --------- 290(W) - 24(L) - 886(D)

Can somebody calculate AlphaZero's Elo?

Image[/img]
Uri Blass

Re: Really Elo of AlphaZero

Post by Uri Blass »

I think the last option is wrong because if we wait enough time then everybody is going to have better hardware than the hardware of alphazero.

I guess that
LCzero of 2050 is going to be significantly stronger than Stockfish8 of today with the hardware of today.
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

What is "Really Elo"?
Eugene Kotlov
Hedgehog 2.1 64-bit coming soon...
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

main line wrote: Result was:
AlphaZero vs Stockfish 8 --------- 290(W) - 24(L) - 886(D)

Can somebody calculate AlphaZero's Elo?
difference +79 Elo
Eugene Kotlov
Hedgehog 2.1 64-bit coming soon...
main line

Post by main line »

Uri Blass wrote:I think the last option is wrong because if we wait enough time then everybody is going to have better hardware than the hardware of alphazero.
This is not true. I am younger than you and I will never have hardware better than the hardware of AlphaZero. It hardware is equal 40x 1080Ti and who can have this?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

main line wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I think the last option is wrong because if we wait enough time then everybody is going to have better hardware than the hardware of alphazero.
This is not true. I am younger than you and I will never have hardware better than the hardware of AlphaZero. It hardware is equal 40x 1080Ti and who can have this?
I think Uri is correct. My phone is stronger than Deep Blue was at chess, back then I would have thought it was a beast and if you would have told me that one day my phone could run circles around Deep Blue, well lets just say I would not have believed you. :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Jhoravi »

It should be noted that SF was playing without a book. There' s big possibility that SF keeps repeating a lost opening variation in most of the hundred games.

Even in the 10 game sample shows SF keeps repeating the loosing variation of the Queens Indian Defense let alone in 100 games.
main line

Post by main line »

Armageddon has just started...

whereagles

Post by whereagles »

@Darko: 40 geforce 1080 Ti cards are actually not ridiculously expensive. 1 card is like 700 bucks, so 28k should get you the lot. I mean... many not-so-rich people spend WAY more on a 2nd hand sports car or some other hobby.

Getting them delivered seems to be harder. The Nvida site says "out of stock", even with a 2-per-customer limit :D
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Jhoravi wrote:It should be noted that SF was playing without a book. There' s big possibility that SF keeps repeating a lost opening variation in most of the hundred games.

Even in the 10 game sample shows SF keeps repeating the loosing variation of the Queens Indian Defense let alone in 100 games.
This ^