Can't publish in visual studio community 2017 for no .exe

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Can't publish in visual studio community 2017 for no .exe

Post by Henk »

Looks like I even cannot publish a Skipper engine version for it only creates an .application file and no .exe.

.exe is what I need to run it in winboard.

Copying .exe file is not enough because it needs more dll's. So you run into a dll hell.
Dann Corbit

Re: Can't publish in visual studio community 2017 for no .ex

Post by Dann Corbit »

Henk wrote:Looks like I even cannot publish a Skipper engine version for it only creates an .application file and no .exe.

Copying .exe file is not enough because it needs more dll's. So you run into a dll hell.
Apparently, not satisfied with their Windows 10 debacle, they have decided to make comedic changes to their "free" compiler.

Maybe it is time to try Msys2 + Mingw gcc/g++.

I guess that if you stomp enough toes, eventually you will get some attention, but hopefully the response will be appropriate.

Having said that, I did not try VS 2017 yet, and all the previous versions seemed OK, though limited.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

I guess you'll need to tick the right box for generating a console EXE. Should be somewhere in your project settings. DLLs can be linked statically, which should be another box to tick, or a linker option.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Henk wrote:Looks like I even cannot publish a Skipper engine version for it only creates an .application file and no .exe.

Gee, there is no easier environment than VS. And dll's, wtf? Just link them statically for god sake. Learn how to use compiler, it's much easier setting it through menus than setting it through make file.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I have a SkipperWinb.appref-ms

If I click on it it starts like normal. But I don't know how I can make Winboard run it.

There is also a SkipperWinb.exe.deploy file
Last edited by Henk on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:

Apparently, not satisfied with their Windows 10 debacle, they have decided to make comedic changes to their "free" compiler.

Maybe it is time to try Msys2 + Mingw gcc/g++.

I guess that if you stomp enough toes, eventually you will get some attention, but hopefully the response will be appropriate.

Having said that, I did not try VS 2017 yet, and all the previous versions seemed OK, though limited.
VS Community 2017 is basically a full blown VS. You even get a profiler that one can only dream on to see on any Linux.
And IDE, hm, there is no better on, period.
And performance-wise I don't think it's any weaker than Gcc, might even be better actually.
Plus you have free open source Microsoft supported community package manager - vcpkg (I'm not talking about NuGet coz that one is lame in terms of offered libs) that is a dream compared to constant recompiling one have to do on Linux to get most up to date libs.
brianr

Post by brianr »

I tried MSVC 2017 Community, but it was only free for 30 days for me.

Did I miss something?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Yes you probably had to register or it was not community version.
Milos

Post by Milos »

brianr wrote:I tried MSVC 2017 Community, but it was only free for 30 days for me.

Did I miss something?
From MS site:
Visual Studio Community

A fully-featured, extensible, free IDE for creating modern applications for Android, iOS, Windows, as well as web applications and cloud services.
The only thing I can think of is that you didn't sign in into it with Microsoft account, so non-registered access expires after 30 days. But registering account with Microsoft is totally free.
Henk

Post by Henk »

So .exe is missing. Nice (not). Only work around I can think of is copying the release directory etcetera. But that's very clumsy/inefficient.

Is that the reason why they invented open source. Because .exe is gone and you have to compile yourself.