Can't publish in visual studio community 2017 for no .exe

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

brianr

Re: Can't publish in visual studio community 2017 for no .ex

Post by brianr »

Kept getting script errors trying to login.
Ah, it seems it was looking for IE, which I moved away from years ago (ignoring the default browser, which is Chrome).
My old copy of IE8 (still on Win7) was set to no cookies and max security settings, just in case.
Tweaked it temporarily, and I was able to login to an old MSFT account that I even forgot that I had, and it seems to work.
Thanks.
Milos wrote:The only thing I can think of is that you didn't sign in into it with Microsoft account, so non-registered access expires after 30 days. But registering account with Microsoft is totally free.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Milos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Henk wrote:Looks like I even cannot publish a Skipper engine version for it only creates an .application file and no .exe.

.exe is what I need to run it in winboard.

Copying .exe file is not enough because it needs more dll's. So you run into a dll hell.
Apparently, not satisfied with their Windows 10 debacle, they have decided to make comedic changes to their "free" compiler.

Maybe it is time to try Msys2 + Mingw gcc/g++.

I guess that if you stomp enough toes, eventually you will get some attention, but hopefully the response will be appropriate.

Having said that, I did not try VS 2017 yet, and all the previous versions seemed OK, though limited.
VS Community 2017 is basically a full blown VS. You even get a profiler that one can only dream on to see on any Linux.
And IDE, hm, there is no better on, period.
And performance-wise I don't think it's any weaker than Gcc, might even be better actually.
Plus you have free open source Microsoft supported community package manager - vcpkg (I'm not talking about NuGet coz that one is lame in terms of offered libs) that is a dream compared to constant recompiling one have to do on Linux to get most up to date libs.
I fully agree. I've been using VS since ver. 6.0 and it keeps getting better and better. It's a pain to develop software under Linux, with Visual Studio my productivity is at least two times higher.
The IDE is second to none and the debugger is also on top compared to things like GDB. With multi-processor compilation it compiles the largest projects in just a few seconds with GCC you have to sit back and make a cup of coffee before your project is compiled.

The exe produced by the Intel compiler (v.18) is still a bit faster (~7%) but compilation takes a lot more time. I can live with that, I develop with MSVC and do the final build with Intel.

On my main machine I use VS2017 Pro and on the others the Community edition, besides the uppercase font they use in the menus with the Community edition I don't see any difference.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Joost Buijs wrote: {snip}
On my main machine I use VS2017 Pro and on the others the Community edition, besides the uppercase font they use in the menus with the Community edition I don't see any difference.
The community edition does not have the analyze feature (at least through VS 2015, I did not try 2017 yet). So you can't profile or run code analysis. Also, source control is missing.

Not sure about pro, we have enterprise version.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I still don't know how to publish an .exe and not an .application.

If community edition is not a leaner version then it should be possible.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Maybe this is something ( I have not tried it yet) :

"
To deploy an Exe, you should add <RuntimeIdentifiers>win10-x64</RuntimeIdentifiers> to the project file before Publishing. And in the Publish wizard change the Target Runtime to win10-x64.

"

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... n-exe.html
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Joost Buijs wrote: {snip}
The community edition does not have the analyze feature (at least through VS 2015, I did not try 2017 yet). So you can't profile or run code analysis. Also, source control is missing.

Not sure about pro, we have enterprise version.
In VS2017 Community you have not only code analysis and profiling but also git fully integrated.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

That is impressive.

I guess they must put a restriction against commercial use of the generated binaries or they would lose a boat load of money.

The enterprise version is really expensive (or it was, I did not ask our IT guy what the current versions cost).
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:That is impressive.

I guess they must put a restriction against commercial use of the generated binaries or they would lose a boat load of money.
Only if you are a big company (have it installed on more than 250 machines or generate more than 1m$ of revenue per year). And even then 5 of the employees could still use it for commercial development.
The licence is really flexible and MS obviously made a lot of effort to get into open source community.
https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/mlt553321/
Henk

Post by Henk »

Henk wrote:Maybe this is something ( I have not tried it yet) :

"
To deploy an Exe, you should add <RuntimeIdentifiers>win10-x64</RuntimeIdentifiers> to the project file before Publishing. And in the Publish wizard change the Target Runtime to win10-x64.

"

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... n-exe.html
When I follow instructions I first had to create a new core console application. And after that I get this error.

2>Could not copy the file "obj\Release\netcoreapp2.0\win10-x64\ConsoleApp1.dll" because it was not found.

https://github.com/dotnet/core/issues/1039

This means you have too run it using dotnet publish -c Release -r win10-x64

or something.

To be continued (or not)
Henk

Post by Henk »

Actually .Net core is another invention from hell for you have to start all over again. All assemblies, dll's changed. Added value not interesting to me.