Search found 530 matches

by Zenmastur
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

I doubt if we can trust what engines say because engines have bugs and can bring back wrong evaluations from TT. It may be interesting to test stockfish on some cursed wins with DTZ=101 when stockfish does not use tablebases to see in how many cases stockfish is going to find a wrong winning score ...
by Zenmastur
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:28 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

For details, the interested reader can start here: https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish/commit/2198cd0524574f0d9df8c0ec9aaf14ad8c94402b#diff-56f2857212d6f5ac25e8c2981a61ce32 This looks like the reason: 1) the patch is implemented for a 32 bit hash (so that a 64 bit multiply can be used),...
by Zenmastur
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

The sub-tree that has to be stored in the TT is way to large for a normal sized TT. So, if it is a draw, you will need a very large TT in order to find it and be somewhat sure that your analysis is accurate. Back when SF could have 1 TB of TT I think it was possible. But IIRC this has been reduced ...
by Zenmastur
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: Syzygy on RAM Drive
Replies: 19
Views: 3882

Re: Syzygy on RAM Drive

On a 1GB RAMDisk I put the 5-men Syzygy (both WDL and DTZ), and let the top engines play with and without Syzygy at 1' + 1'', on one core. Balanced endgame positions up to 12 men (had to suffer many draws with these balanced endgame positions). …snip... Within error margins, but it seems that SF (R...
by Zenmastur
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

I'm not sure this explanation is clear enough to understand, but I don't know any other way to explain it. The point is, when you've found something deep in the tree that changes the evaluation of the position and you are backing up through a line of play the last thing you want is for all this inf...
by Zenmastur
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: 1.g4 opening is losing?
Replies: 79
Views: 7011

Re: 1.g4 opening is losing?

Yeah, suppose 1.g4 is actually a draw, and you play a self-play match and get that 73% of games are indeed won. What you'll find is that in those games white played losing moves that it didn't play in the other 27%, so you create an opening book and forbid the engine to play those losing moves. Wha...
by Zenmastur
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

After a day-long search with MultiPV=2, Stockfish suggests that 16. Re1 is sub-optimal, and that White is already in considerable distress: -1.82 16. Rfc1 Rfe8 17. Qd3 Bxf3 18. Qxf3 Nh4 19. Qh5 Nxg2 20. Kxg2 Qe6 21. Qf3 Qxe2 22. Qxe2 Rxe2 23. Rd1 Rd7 24. Kf1 Re6 25. Re1 Rxe1+ 26. Kxe1 f6 27. gxf6 g...
by Zenmastur
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: 1.g4 opening is losing?
Replies: 79
Views: 7011

Re: 1.g4 opening is losing?

Sounds like a weak move selection algorithm, or not using all the knowledge you have available, or too high expectation of the learning rate, or a combination of all three. I'm kind of curious what was the time controls you were using? I think this plays a huge role in learning rate per unit time s...
by Zenmastur
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches
Topic: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)
Replies: 377
Views: 24811

Re: Dylan Sharp Vs. Harvey Williamson (G4)

I think there is an flaw in your reasoning. You assume that with your meager hardware you can find the drawing line. I pretty sure this isn't the case. Even with very good hardware this will be a difficult task. Mainly due to the number of moves it takes to convert an advantage in the opening to th...
by Zenmastur
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:53 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: 1.g4 opening is losing?
Replies: 79
Views: 7011

Re: 1.g4 opening is losing?

A while back I was experimenting with a book learning system, and for a while it was selecting a number of "bad" moves including 1. g4. What I found was that even with poor opening choices the draw rate with Stockfish (self-play) was very high. This kind of screwed up the learning because poor choi...