The Duras

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jack Lad

Re: The Duras

Post by Jack Lad »

Masterbaiter wrote:Kb5
[pgn]1. e4 f5 2. exf5 Nf6 3. Be2 d6 4. Bh5+ Nxh5 5. Qxh5+ Kd7 6. Nf3 c6 7. Qg4 Kc7 8. Ng5 Qe8 9. Ne6+ Bxe6 10. fxe6 Na6 11. 0-0 Rc8 12. c4 g6 13. d4 Kb8 14. Nc3 Bg7 15. Be3 Nc7 16. Rac1 Rf8 17. Qe4 Rf5 18. g4 Rf6 19. d5 Rf8 20. Rfd1 h5 21. h3 Be5 22. Ne2 hxg4 23. hxg4 Rh8 24. Nf4 Bxf4 25. Qxf4 Rh4 26. Qg3 Qh8 27. Kg2 Qf6 28. g5 Qh8 29. dxc6 Qh5 30. Rh1 Rh8 31. Rxh4 Qxh4 32. Qxh4 Rxh4 33. cxb7 Nxe6 34. f4 Kxb7 35. Kg3 Rh7 36. Re1 Ng7 37. Bf2 Nf5+ 38. Kg2 a5 39. Re6 Rg7 40. c5 Kc6 41. cxd6 exd6 42. Kf3 Kd7 43. Rf6 Ne7 44. Be1 a4 45. Rf8 Rh7 46. Ra8 Rh3+ 47. Kf2 Rh2+ 48. Kf3 Rh3+ 49. Ke2 Rh2+ 50. Bf2 Rh1 51. Rxa4 Rb1 52. Bd4 Rh1 53. Bc3 Rh2+ 54. Kd3 Rh3+ 55. Kc4 Rf3 56. Kb5 1-0[/pgn]
[d] 8/3kn3/3p2p1/1K4P1/R4P2/2B2r2/PP6/8 b - - 10 56
Well played Martin!

Why did you allow me to draw on move 47?
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

He thought it was possible to win if you took on b2. I argued with him that he was allowing the draw and he needed to play Ke2!

He can be careless, he thought you moved your Q to c7 when it was your unexpected Kc7!? F6+ was impossible.
Terry McCracken
Masterbaiter

Post by Masterbaiter »

Thanks for the game. I will never personally play the Duras! It did leave you in a hole. I am not convinced that it was a draw. I thought my A pawn should be able to win eventually but I could be wrong. I did not think it would be easy for you at the very least. A passed pawn is a passed pawn. :o)
Looking for interesting people to chat with
Terry McCracken

Masterbaiter wrote:Thanks for the game. I will never personally play the Duras! It did leave you in a hole. I am not convinced that it was a draw. I thought my A pawn should be able to win eventually but I could be wrong. I did not think it would be easy for you at the very least. A passed pawn is a passed pawn. :o)
He had a passed pawn as well supported by his King and your K-Side pawns were weak. The outside a-pawn may not have been enough, especially with a central Night, King plus passer and an active Rook controlling the second and first rank.

What I don't understand is why he gave you the chance to win.
Terry McCracken
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

Masterbaiter wrote:I am not convinced that it was a draw. I thought my A pawn should be able to win eventually but I could be wrong. I did not think it would be easy for you at the very least. A passed pawn is a passed pawn. :o)
Thanks for explaining and you would have still had a small advantage but not quite enough to win imo. There was a small chance that I could have made an error which would have allowed you to win which is one reason why I decided that repetition seemed like the much simpler, securer and faster way to draw (which you sensibly declined).
Terry McCracken

Jack Lad wrote:
Masterbaiter wrote:I am not convinced that it was a draw. I thought my A pawn should be able to win eventually but I could be wrong. I did not think it would be easy for you at the very least. A passed pawn is a passed pawn. :o)
Thanks for explaining and you would have still had a small advantage but not quite enough to win imo. There was a small chance that I could have made an error which would have allowed you to win which is one reason why I decided that repetition seemed like the much simpler, securer and faster way to draw (which you sensibly declined).
Of course you won't pay any attention to what I say unless it offends you in some way.

Well, I'll oblige you. I told Martin not to play Kf2 as he was risking the win! He didn't listen. I said play Ke2! which he did when given a second chance.

I also made sure he stuck to the correct plan to play Ke2, Kd3, Kc4 and Kb5 with an overwhelming advantage.
Terry McCracken
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

Terry McCracken wrote:Of course you won't pay any attention to what I say unless it offends you in some way.
I do pay attention to what you say but I still want to hear what Martin has to say for himself on this subject.
Terry McCracken wrote:Well, I'll oblige you. I told Martin not to play Kf2 as he was risking the win! He didn't listen. I said play Ke2! which he did when given a second chance. I also made sure he stuck to the correct plan to play Ke2, Kd3, Kc4 and Kb5 with an overwhelming advantage.
So you want to take some of the credit for Martin's victory in this game but are also keen to distance yourself from his errors. Well I have to admit that you did play very well in the last few moves of this game. If Martin is still convinced that he could win after playing Kf2 then I will be happy to oblige him if he wishes to do so. 8-)
Terry McCracken

Jack Lad wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Of course you won't pay any attention to what I say unless it offends you in some way.
I do pay attention to what you say but I still want to hear what Martin has to say for himself on this subject.
Terry McCracken wrote:Well, I'll oblige you. I told Martin not to play Kf2 as he was risking the win! He didn't listen. I said play Ke2! which he did when given a second chance. I also made sure he stuck to the correct plan to play Ke2, Kd3, Kc4 and Kb5 with an overwhelming advantage.
So you want to take some of the credit for Martin's victory in this game but are also keen to distance yourself from his errors. Well I have to admit that you did play very well in the last few moves of this game. If Martin is still convinced that he could win after playing Kf2 then I will be happy to oblige him if he wishes to do so. 8-)
I hate to say this but maybe he should play you from the Kf2 position and see if he can still win. He may prove me wrong but not easily.
Terry McCracken
gerold

Post by gerold »

Time for a new game. :) Maybe Martin could play without the use of compute help. Make for a more interesting game.
Terry McCracken

gerold wrote:Time for a new game. :) Maybe Martin could play without the use of compute help. Make for a more interesting game.
You mean Jack Lad, right?

You people know next to nothing about chess.

If Martin played from Rxb2 and Jack didn't have access to a computer chess program nor Martin or any access to outside help, Martin would win.

If Jack had access but not Martin, then the best Martin could do is draw.

That's Reality!

No Sarcasm..Regards
Terry McCracken