The Duras

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jack Lad

Re: The Duras

Post by Jack Lad »

Terry McCracken wrote:You mean Jack Lad, right?
Why do you imagine that Gerold would mean me?

So far we have concluded that the McMad gambit and the Duras are not good defences for black in serious slow games and are both probably unsound - however there may still be a place for them in blitz. We have also concluded that the McMad declined, the St George and the Modern are all ok defences for black to play. At no point has there been any attempt to make any of the games between Martin and myself a contest between the two of us or even to make them particularly entertaining for spectators to watch.

If you really want that then we need to play another form of chess such as crazyhouse or two-move chess.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Jack Lad wrote:

So far we have concluded that the McMad gambit and the Duras are not good defences for black in serious slow games and are both probably unsound - however there may still be a place for them in blitz. We have also concluded that the McMad declined, the St George and the Modern are all ok defences for black to play. At no point has there been any attempt to make any of the games between Martin and myself a contest between the two of us or even to make them particularly entertaining for spectators to watch.

If you really want that then we need to play another form of chess such as crazyhouse or two-move chess.
Interesting games. So how about a couple more.
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

gerold wrote:Interesting games. So how about a couple more.
[d] rnbqkbnr/8/8/PPPPPPPP/pppppppp/8/8/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
White has a big advantage in this crazy starting position but I think that black has just about enough resources to hold the draw.

I also think that white should play the Morra gambit a bit more in the Sicilian.
Accepted:
[pgn]1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Nxc3[/pgn]
[d] rnbqkbnr/pp1ppppp/8/8/4P3/2N5/PP3PPP/R1BQKBNR b KQkq - 0 4
Declined:
[pgn]1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3 e5 4. Nf3[/pgn]
[d] rnbqkbnr/pp1p1ppp/8/4p3/3pP3/2P2N2/PP3PPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 1 4
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

[D] rnbqkbnr/8/8/PPPPPPPP/pppppppp/8/8/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1[/D]

hmmm... seems like white is on the verge of winning on 1. Qxd4.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Jack Lad wrote:

He should mean you as your chess level isn't worthy of Martin but with software you can play like a GM.

I realize Gerold skills are likely in your range and fails to see the point.

You have proven only one thing, you're wrong and dishonest.

You know nothing about chess.
Terry McCracken
gerold

Post by gerold »

Thanks for you guys playing the different opening. More openings would be nice.

Best,
Gerold.