Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years

Post by Sean Evans »

I wonder if this is true or just a way for President Ilyumzhinov to attack Kasparov?!

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ement.html

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/20307

http://armenpress.am/eng/news/822968/fi ... -fide.html

http://tass.ru/en/sport/830707

ATHENS, October 21. /TASS/. The Ethics Commission of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) has banned 13th world champion Garry Kasparov and former general secretary Ignatius Leong from holding any office or position in FIDE for two years, the official site said on Wednesday.

"Kasparov and Leong are both banned for a period of two years from holding any office or position within FIDE, including its member federations, continental associations or any other affiliated international organisations, as well as participating in any FIDE meeting as delegate, proxy-holder or other representative of a FIDE member," the statement said.

FIDE’s Ethics Commission has found Kasparov and Leong guilty of violating the FIDE Moral Code. Ahead of last year’s presidential poll, Kasparov, bidding for the office, and then General Secretary Ignatius Leong made a deal in which Kasparov paid Leong $500,000 so that Singapore voted for him. Kasparov lost the contest and Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected as FIDE president.

Leong promised Kasparov that he would get ten plus one votes of Asian chess federation for $500,000 in return.

Kasparov Chess Foundation and Leong’s company Asian Chess Academy were also supposed to establish a new organization, Kasparov Chess Foundation Asia, which was supposed to transfer $1 million to Leong’s firm in case of Kasparov’s victory.
AdminX

Re: Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years

Post by AdminX »

Looks true to me, since it is posted on FIDE website. :D When is their next FIDE election again :?:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Sean Evans »

AdminX wrote:Looks true to me, since it is posted on FIDE website. :D When is their next FIDE election again :?:
"If" Kasparov is guilty of bribery to acquire the FIDE presidency, it will be a stigma on him! In addition, it will reflect he is the same as his arch-enemy Putin.

Cordially,

Sean
Sean Evans

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: "If Kasparov Asks, I Am Ready To Co

Post by Sean Evans »

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: "If Kasparov Asks, I Am Ready T

Post by Vinvin »

Sean Evans wrote:Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: "If Kasparov Asks, I Am Ready To Cover His Lawyer's Costs"

I thought these two guys hated each other :?
If you're sure to win a lawsuit, it's better for your reputation to have good conditions :D
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

So he got banned for doing the same thing every other candidate does?

As they used to say in Sparta, the bad thing isn't doing wrong. It's getting caught :D
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Evgeny Sveshnikov: "I Want To Know the Names Of Those Who Approved Kasparov's Ban"

Thursday, 05.11.2015 01:55

GM Evgeny Sveshnikov disagrees with the FIDE decision to ban Garry Kasparov and Ignatius Leong to hold any position within FIDE for two years.

"I have a lot of questions for Kasparov, I disagree with him on a number of issues, but accusing him of bribing someone and prohibiting him from pursuing chess activities just beats everything, - the veteran player who just recently turned back to representing Russian flag told Chess-News. - The proof to his "villainy" hasn't been published anywhere. There's nothing wrong with him signing the contract with Leong and allocating money for chess development in Asia. I don't consider buying some federation's votes in such a way to be a crime.

If one of the presidential candidates earmarks money to the federation for the development of chess, it's not a crime. Crime is when that candidate secretly passes money some federation delegate in order to make him/her vote in one's own favor. As a minimum, they have to check what was that money allocated through the contract spent on. But we are not really told anything about that, we are only told: Kasparov is a criminal! I want to know concretely who and what for has disqualified the former world champion. I want to know the names of the FIDE Ethics Committee who approved such a decision..."

Despite this, Sveshnikov gives his preference to Ilyumzhinov in the presidential elections. According to him, Kasparov mixes chess and politics and he only needed the aforementioned post "to satisfy his own political ambitions".