Question for strong experts and fide masters

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Question for strong experts and fide masters

Post by h1a8 »

Can you post the things that contributed to you going from say about 1500elo to where you are now?
What books did you read, what tactic programs did you use, what computer programs did you use (and how you used them), etc.
Please list things that you did from 1500 elo to where you are now. State your rating too.

I'm trying to get a correlation of types of training (and their weights) to making it to master level.

Thanks!
musketeerchess

Re: Question for strong experts and fide masters

Post by musketeerchess »

Hi
I used to be a FIDE master
What most helped me to progress was: eat chess at breakfast lunch and dinner

What helped me ( almost 100 elo points more) was after i learned My System !!

Then some tactical sharpening by doing chess problems puzzles whatever it takes.

Do That for one hour each day and learn my system you'll succeed.

Don't play much against computers but play and rechallenge when you loose against real humans. Nothing replaces the real feelings when you play in front of a real chess board and touching the pièces.

If you want to further progress, play Musketeer Chess

www.musketeerchess.com/2.html
inventor of Musketeer Chess. A modern commercial chess variant.

www.musketeerchess.net

Pieces are available on Houseofstaunton.com or Paypal
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Lasker said you will learn more in one year from face to face coaching than you will from 20 years of self study.

I'v read countless chess books in my youth. I can suggest Kotov: Think like a GM.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I may have been around 1500 at one time, and i certainly came to at least 2200-2300.
I used to take chess books and try to study some positions and games and lessons over and over again, while training my concentration level and inner eye to such an extent that I could honestly feel i would have made some of those great GM chess moves and plans myself.
I think that this actually worked well! And i indeed DID think in grand plans and combinations when at the board, due to my self training ideas.

I was once in a club, and even though i didn't like losing pieces due to silly mistakes, to mediocre players, when i DID win, it was often brilliant!

This was before my father got a computer which i used for my Genius 3, and then i used to break my head how to learn not make mistakes when playing it. Then Hiarcs 6 and 7.
Turbo king and novag scorpio/diablo, used to outsmart me at first, but eventually i managed to sometimes win.
Actually I found that i could "cheat" by exchanging a lot down to the end game, and then it was easier to win. But this didn't work so well with Genius 3 and above.

Then i often did Danny King games with points given for good moves which the reader predicts, and i saw i already understood many right ideas.
THIS was indeed almost like personal instruction!

Am _I_ a strong expert or fide master?
According to Danny king (point systems) and other point systems, sure yes.
And i think that someone else who does what i did would get much further than me, because i used to be a bit too impulsive and deep end in chess. Most people are more down to earth and not so risky.