Karjakin withdraws from Norway Chess

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Karjakin withdraws from Norway Chess

Post by AdminX »

Chessbase wrote:One of the strongest elite tournament for the year Norway Chess 2016 is scheduled to begin from the 18th of April. Just 12 days before the start of the event Sergey Karjakin has withdrawn his name, citing tiredness and preparation as reasons for his inavailability. Karjakin's decision has not gone well with the organizers who call it disrespectful. We have the statement by Karjakin's manager and also the press release by Norway Chess.
http://en.chessbase.com/post/karjakin-w ... rway-chess
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Karjakin withdraws from Norway Chess

Post by Dirt »

It's an understandable decision by Karjakin. I doubt there will be any repercussions.
Deasil is the right way to go.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Dirt wrote:It's an understandable decision by Karjakin. I doubt there will be any repercussions.
I thought so too, don't really understand all the heat he has received. :roll:
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

AdminX wrote:
Dirt wrote:It's an understandable decision by Karjakin. I doubt there will be any repercussions.
Well first of all, a retreat only 12 days before the tournament w/o illness or similar reasons is practically forbidden by usual contracts.
[I guess it will not be that easy and he has to pay quite an amount of penalty fee for breaking his contract w/o proper reasons - may be he finds some doc,
who will attest him some burnout-syndrome though ;-)]
The given reason of preparation for something which just happens in 7 months seems quite flimsy to me.
It appears that most people(me too) just think he is chickening out from an encounter with Carlsen before the WCC.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Guenther wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Well first of all, a retreat only 12 days before the tournament w/o illness or similar reasons is practically forbidden by usual contracts.
[I guess it will not be that easy and he has to pay quite an amount of penalty fee for breaking his contract w/o proper reasons - may be he finds some doc,
who will attest him some burnout-syndrome though ;-)]
The given reason of preparation for something which just happens in 7 months seems quite flimsy to me.
It appears that most people(me too) just think he is chickening out from an encounter with Carlsen before the WCC.
I don't see it that way. I did see it that way in the case of Kramnik after he won the title. In the way he avoided Kasparov like the plague. In this case I think he is taking all the time that he thinks is needed to prepare for the biggest match of his career.
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

AdminX wrote:
I don't see it that way. I did see it that way in the case of Kramnik after he won the title. In the way he avoided Kasparov like the plague. In this case I think he is taking all the time that he thinks is need to prepare for the biggest match of his career.
Do you think he will play no tournaments anymore until the match against Carlsen? I doubt this.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Guenther wrote:
AdminX wrote:
I don't see it that way. I did see it that way in the case of Kramnik after he won the title. In the way he avoided Kasparov like the plague. In this case I think he is taking all the time that he thinks is need to prepare for the biggest match of his career.
Do you think he will play no tournaments anymore until the match against Carlsen? I doubt this.
Interesting question !? (<-- See what I did there.) :wink: I wonder how many commitments he might have that are outstanding. Having said A he should follow up with B and do the same. If not then that comment about him chickening out just might have legs. :wink:

Post by Dirt »

Guenther wrote:Do you think he will play no tournaments anymore until the match against Carlsen? I doubt this.
I don't expect him to play any tournaments with Carlsen in it.

There is no penalty clause in the contract. The organizers could sue for breach, but I would be very surprised if they do.
Deasil is the right way to go.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

AdminX wrote:
Guenther wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Interesting question !? (<-- See what I did there.) :wink: I wonder how many commitments he might have that are outstanding. Having said A he should follow up with B and do the same. If not then that comment about him chickening out just might have legs. :wink:
Chess.com wrote: "Before his match with Carlsen, Karjakin has three tournaments planned at the moment: the third Gashimov Memorial in Shamkir in May, the Russia-China match in Moscow in June and the Olympiad in Baku in September."

Source: https://www.chess.com/news/view/karjaki ... ation-2749
So there we have the answer, now we have to just wait and see what unfolds. :lol: Chances are good that you may be correct.

Post by AdminX »

Source: http://en.chessbase.com/post/li-chao-re ... chess-2016

Looks like a decent choice to me. 8-)