What is the minimum odd that you can take to play Vs SF ?

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: fern, Dan Honeycutt, Sam Hull

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Chessqueen
Full name: Nancy M Pichardo

Re: What is the minimum odd that you can take to play Vs SF ?

Post by Chessqueen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Chessqueen wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 pm
Guenther wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:32 pm
A Rook is much too much combined with White pieces.
SF 9 with 2 cores and 512MB, thinking window and graph disabled during play.
TC 40/480, 5men Syzygy for SF. BTW SF went straight into time trouble for the first time control.

No idea yet why my times were not saved and I forgot to set a different contempt.
Anyhow, I moved extremely fast, more like in a bullet game, because the game was very boring with a Rook up in an exchange French.

In move 54. Strockfish would never play Be5? explain that to me ? 54. Be5? 54. Bd4 possibly but never 54. Be5? Did you use an engine and remove the evaluation, but for move 54. decided to make such stupid move ?
Well in a hopepeless position yes SF decided to give the pawn up, but 54. Ke8 could put more resistance.

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Chessqueen wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Chessqueen wrote:
Guenther wrote:
TC 40/480, 5men Syzygy for SF. BTW SF went straight into time trouble for the first time control.

No idea yet why my times were not saved and I forgot to set a different contempt.
Anyhow, I moved extremely fast, more like in a bullet game, because the game was very boring with a Rook up in an exchange French.

In move 54. Strockfish would never play Be5? explain that to me ? 54. Be5? 54. Bd4 possibly but never 54. Be5? Did you use an engine and remove the evaluation, but for move 54. decided to make such stupid move ?
Well in a hopepeless position yes SF decided to give the pawn up, but 54. Ke8 could put more resistance.

This one I lost in time, with 3 more minutes I could had won this game !

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 am

Chessqueen wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:53 pm
Chessqueen wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Chessqueen wrote:
Guenther wrote:

This one I lost in time, with 3 more minutes I could had won this game !
I was wondering if with 2 or 3 minutes more I could have won, so I decided to start from where I lost on time with a much better position and here is the endgame, If I continue playing with Knight and pawn odd handicap against SF i will improve very fast. :D

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Guenther wrote:

I sent this game to my online trainer to analyze, and he mentioned that with a Rook odd and playing White you are probably weaker than 85% of all chess players. Why don't you show us a game playing black with a Knight and pawn odd game in 5 minutes Blitz Big Mouth and disrespectful Arrogant Person.

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Chessqueen wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:35 pm
Guenther wrote:

I sent this game to my online trainer to analyze, and he mentioned that with a Rook odd and playing White you are probably weaker than 85% of all chess players. Why don't you show us a game playing black with a Knight and pawn odd game in 5 minutes Blitz Big Mouth and disrespectful Arrogant Person.
This is simply wrong.
A player who beat stockfish with a rook odd is better than majority of the chess players.

Based on my experience in teaching chess
majority of chess players are beginners or slightly better than beginners and I can beat them even without a queen and I can beat many players even without queen and 2 rooks.

I will not be surprised if I can beat most humans who know the chess rules without queen and 2 rooks.
I know that at least there are classes in schools who learn chess one hour per week when I can beat everybody in the class without queen and 2 rooks(there are still different chess level in the class and the weakest players in the class are going to lose against me even when I start only with king and 8 pawns).

For me chess players include everybody who play chess and they do not need to play in chess tournaments for it.
The very weak chess players that I can beat without queen and 2 rooks usually do not play for israeli chess rating but they exist and they play chess.

Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm

No odds, straight up.
I play SF maybe once a month.
Of course, the slimy devil beats my brakes off.
But I would not have it any other way.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm
No odds, straight up.
I totally understand your point, but when is chess the most enjoyable? When you win! 25 years ago, humans still had a real chance of taking any engine down. Only a few years down the line, but nowadays programs like Komodo and SF just to mention a few beats grand-masters left, right and center.Therefore, who would would really enjoy playing against against such slimy devil beats, that is why Larry Kaufman is giving odds to the best grand-masters who specialize in beating computer chess programs like GM Nakamura and GM MVL, if they accept handicap why should we NOT? That is why you should find out if by playing knight odds versus Komodo make it more balance and enjoyable where you can still have an even chance not only to improve your chess but by feeling as if you are playing versus a human of equal strength in front of you.

Note: That is why strong programs like Komodo should be sold with different odds recommendations for different level of playing strengths in their advertize package and more matches should be arrange not only versus strength grand-master like GM Nakamura, but with much weaker player around rating level of 1500, 1700, 1900, 2100, 2300, 2500, 2700 where similar players around the world can see youtube matches and say WOW I can still have a chance with these odds settings and more players will purchase Komodo knowing that they still have a chance.

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Chessqueen wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 pm
Dann Corbit wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm
No odds, straight up.
I totally understand your point, but when is chess the most enjoyable? When you win! 25 years ago, humans still had a real chance of taking any engine down. Nowadays programs like Komodo and SF just to mention a few beats grand-masters left and, right. Therefore, who would really enjoy playing against against such slimy devil beats, that is why Larry Kaufman is giving odds to the best grand-masters who specialize in beating computer chess programs like GM Nakamura and GM MVL, if they accept handicap why should we NOT? That is why you should find out if by playing knight odds versus Komodo make it more balance and enjoyable where you can still have an even chance not only to improve your chess but by feeling as if you are playing versus a human of equal strength in front of you.

Note: That is why strong programs like Komodo should be sold with different odds recommendations for different level of playing strengths in their promotional package and more matches should be arranged not only versus strong grand-master like GM Nakamura, but with much weaker players around these rating levels of 1500, 1700, 1900, 2100, 2300, 2500, 2700 where similar players around the world can see youtube matches and say WOW I can still have a chance with these odds settings and more players will purchase Komodo knowing that they still have a chance.

Sorry Dan, everybody has the right to do whatever they wish.

Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:02 am

There is plenty of room for diversity of opinion.
And you will never, never, never offend me because your opinion is different than mine.

I want to play against the computer at full strength.
Sure, I get a lot of beat downs that way. But even so, I enjoy it.

And when I have had one too many punches to the head by the unfeeling monster, I simply play a game against a weak program like Golem to get my revenge against the machine.

I would not play odds against a human or a machine because I would not enjoy it.
But other people can get a bang out of it and have fun.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:48 am

Dann Corbit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:02 am
There is plenty of room for diversity of opinion.
And you will never, never, never offend me because your opinion is different than mine.

I want to play against the computer at full strength.
Sure, I get a lot of beat downs that way. But even so, I enjoy it.

And when I have had one too many punches to the head by the unfeeling monster, I simply play a game against a weak program like Golem to get my revenge against the machine.

I would not play odds against a human or a machine because I would not enjoy it.
But other people can get a bang out of it and have fun.
At least you could have picked Vise 1.0 64 Bit rate around 2040. since Golem must be around 800 or 900 rated with plenty of bugs. My 9 years old daughter played this games and Golem lost on time.

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "DESKTOP-OFQ3C0P"]
[Date "2019.01.10"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Princess Soraida"]
[Black "Golem_0441"]
[Result "1-0"]
[BlackElo "2000"]
[ECO "A00"]
[Opening "Clemenz (Mead-Basman-de Klerk-Welling) Opening"]
[Time "19:33:22"]
[Variation "1.e4 c5"]
[WhiteElo "2400"]
[TimeControl "120"]
[Termination "time forfeit"]
[PlyCount "7"]
[WhiteType "human"]
[BlackType "program"]

1. h3 e6 {(e7e5 g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 0.90 3.33-20.00 b2 <kn534> 41x)
+0.46/6 6} 2. e4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Be7 4. d4 ... {Black forfeits on time} 1-0