Calculating Tactics -- Don't Look

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Calculating Tactics -- Don't Look

Post by mhull »

I was watching Hikaru Nakamura play blitz on a recording of his livestream. When calculating exchange tactics, he looks up at the ceiling, taking his eyes off the screen. Otherwise, he looks at the screen to evaluate the position. I've not seen any other live streamer do that, e.g. IM Rosen.
Matthew Hull
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Re: Calculating Tactics -- Don't Look

Post by gaard »

mhull wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pm I was watching Hikaru Nakamura play blitz on a recording of his livestream. When calculating exchange tactics, he looks up at the ceiling, taking his eyes off the screen. Otherwise, he looks at the screen to evaluate the position. I've not seen any other live streamer do that, e.g. IM Rosen.
Did you watch Queen's Gambit? Maybe he just popped a tranquilizer? Kidding :D Do you have a link to where you are picking up his livestream? I am out-of-the-loop.
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

gaard wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:02 pm
mhull wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pm I was watching Hikaru Nakamura play blitz on a recording of his livestream. When calculating exchange tactics, he looks up at the ceiling, taking his eyes off the screen. Otherwise, he looks at the screen to evaluate the position. I've not seen any other live streamer do that, e.g. IM Rosen.
Did you watch Queen's Gambit? Maybe he just popped a tranquilizer? Kidding :D Do you have a link to where you are picking up his livestream? I am out-of-the-loop.
This is from his youtube channel but it's a cut from a Twitch stream:

Twitch:
https://twitch.tv/gmhikaru
Matthew Hull
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

mhull wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pmWhen calculating exchange tactics, he looks up at the ceiling, taking his eyes off the screen.
I guess this requires proficiency in blind chess - which super grandmasters of course have, but amateurs don't.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net