Trouble installing Shredder 8 on Vista

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Trouble installing Shredder 8 on Vista

Post by Kirk »

Anyone else experiece this?

After I install Shredder 8 on Microsoft "Pissta" it asks for the CD check. When I put the original in it tells me that "this may not be the original CD".

Anyone know how to get around this security fubar? :cry:
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
F.Huber

Re: Trouble installing Shredder 8 on Vista

Post by F.Huber »

Kirk wrote: After I install Shredder 8 on Microsoft "Pissta" it asks for the CD check. When I put the original in it tells me that "this may not be the original CD".

Anyone know how to get around this security fubar? :cry:
Yes - use a cracked version. :wink:
D.B. Morris

Post by D.B. Morris »

I had the same problem after re-formatting with XP last summer. Sent e-mails off to Shredder support and politely got this answer:
hello,
you are using the Shredder Chessbase version. Here only the engine is from us. The rest, including the copy protection is from Chessbase. I am afraid I cannot help you here and you have to contact the Chessbase support.
Best regards
Stefan Meyer-Kahlen

But I don't believe I received an answer from Chessbase. What I remember doing was uninstalling and reinstalling a few times and fortunately it started working again. Even now though it says this could be an illegal version or whatever the verbage is. I click cancel and it lets me continue.
Strange stuff.
Good luck.
D.B.M.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I appreciate that very much! I have noticed that with Vista. Sometimes things will not work until I try it a couple of times. Very odd...

I also wrote Chessbase, but had not clear answer given only to try and reset to the original values. That did not seem to work for me.
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
fern

Post by fern »

The "this CD may be is not...etc" happens many times with any chessbase program, even in XP.
I do not give a shit for it and I follow suite and nothing wrong happens.
But in Vista....
I received Vista home premium one day from Muicrosoft technicians and I gave it back in two days. I returned to XP.
I will never use a system that compels me to change, throw to the bin etc other programs.

My best
Fernando